Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Jonjo Shelvey, should he be at the world cup?

Its a shame the general standard of our CMs is quite poor and we don't really have all-rounders. 

Id be seriously advocating a 4-4-2 if we had the right players for the middle. 

Shelvey is a good player and he's had a good season but you can see him getting sent off in the round of 16 a mile off.

3 minutes ago, Wortho said:

I would like to see Shelvey in the squad, but I doubt it'll happen.

Southgate will probably pick the little thug Wilshire, I can't abide this overrated sicknote.

Wilshere is a strong favourite to go, with the bookies.

Unbelievable.

I agree he's had a past of being hot headed, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, Vardy is hot headed in his own way. Bring it on I say it's been a while since we've had a bit of pashun.

Providing he can control his emotions and not go and break someone's leg I think he's a class act and don't mind the odd hard tackle.

Imagine those balls in behind for Vardy, Jamie never gets space in internationals like he does in the league, someone who will be able to fizz in a perfectly weighted through ball is an absolute must IMO. 

Jonjo is a bit like Berbatov in some respects, he doesn't need to run around all game to make things happen, his passing range means he can be anywhere on the pitch and find a pass that any other player would have to dribble 25 yards with the ball to be able to get near. 

The ball is faster than any player, and when you can hit teams on the break with 1 weighted pass you can rip anyone apart. 

I can just imagine us defending a corner now, ball goes in, drops to shelvey and within 3 seconds we are 1 on 1 vardy vs keeper. 

I mean just look at some of them...

It's a win-win with Jonjo in the team, if the opposition sit with a high line we can ping balls over or through to vardy sat on the last man. 

If they hold a deep line to stop that happening then it allows us to have space on the ball which also suits Jonjo and allows us to get balls into the box for Kane. He opens up so many options with his passing ability. 

He's the English Pirlo.

Edited by cityfanlee23
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Samilktray said:

He is not the bloody English Pirlo lol

The "English pirlo" Is on the basis of his passing ability. 

Who Is a better passer?

It's a throwaway phrase that is used to compare loads of players attributes. 

"He's the (nation) (player)"

Example "The Egyptian messi" was thrown around about Salah before he had achieved anything.

Obviously I'm not actually comparing him as good as Pirlo....

On 14/05/2018 at 11:05, walkerleeds said:

He would be a complete liability discipline wise but he should be starting alongside Wilshere for me. 

I was speaking to a Newcastle fan the other day.  He says Shelvey has had some good coaching from Benitez and has got his head screwed on now.  Apparently he hasn't been booked since Christmas.

Majority of national papers saying he isn't even being considering.

Absolutely ridiculous tbf, with Oxlade-Chamberlain injured, Shelvey is a must. I expect him to take at least four central midfielders, Dier and Henderson as the defensive minded one's, Wilshere as the forward thinking one leaving one place open.

Shelvey offers that passing range that nobody else has in the England setup, I rate Harry Winks but he hasn't played enough, Loftus-Cheek is the only other possibility if Shelvey doesn't go, someone like Cork, Cook or Livermore can get fvcked.

Edited by kingfox

Yes, there is no other England player in squad that has the ability to pass the ball forward.

I'm not saying he's a starter, but there is no 'Plan B', the only plan that they have is 'stick to Plan A for 60 minutes, if we need to change, we will introduce like for like players for fresh legs'.

At least Shelvey offers something different. I can see a lot of scraping 1 or 2-0's or draws during the campaign until we get absolutely taken apart by a Germany, Spain or Brazil (just like every WC). Will be very interesting to see how we fare against Belgium in the group stages, who for me are the dark horses of the tournament.