Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

England Squad Announced

35 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I hate this argument so much. We play internationals over two years to mould a team together, to build chemistry. This is not the time nor place to just call up anyone who had a good month. Just done a very quick look at some stat websites to try and find in form English players and came across Joel Ward, Wan Bissaka and James Tomkins, Dom Solanke to name a few. Would you genuinely prefer a Crystal Palace backline instead of the usual Cahill/Stones etc.? Bare in mind there will have been numberous stages this season where they will have been utter shit. Its not unusual to see a number of players in Cahill's position (been around a long time, ageing) to get drifted out after a major tournament. See Rooney/Milner and slowly Joe Hart after Euro 2016.

The keeper situation tickles me too. Joe Hart doesn't particularly deserve a place but the abuse he gets is unwarranted, and it is always made out that Butland/Pickford/Pope are absolutely streets ahead of him. As it happens 3 of those 4 play for clubs with some of the highest amount of goals conceded this season. Pickford im certain was poor at best at the start of the season. Butland shipped quite a lot too. Then you're looking at a situation where your best GK this season is someone nobody had heard of 8 months ago. There is a whopping 9 caps between our 3 chosen GKs, that must be a record low to take to a tournament finals!? Just like for club it is important for your keeper and defence to have a good understanding, it would be so risky to chuck Pope in there.

The only names that underwhelm me there are Delph, who is picked in a position I think he's rarely played this season and already lacks creativity/quality, an Welbeck.

Alexander-Arnold has had a few good months and deserves his place, Tarkowski fully deserves to be in ahead of Cahill and Jones, tell me why do they warrant a place? Tarkowski was included in the last England squad. I have no problems with the majority of that defence apart from Cahill and Jones, one of them would've been alright but not both, leaving out Tarkowski is the worst decision of that 23.

Joe Hart has been fvcking shit, simple as mate. The three included all deserve to be there, Alex McCarthy and Tom Heaton should be both ahead of Joe Hart as well. Pickford won Everton's player of the season, Pope is the man in form and Butland right now regardless of Stoke's season is probably our number one choice.

Midfield needs Wilshere or Shelvey, as you say it lacks creativity, Dier alongside Henderson would be the most negative looking central midfield pairing at the World Cup. Welbeck has earned his place for me just because of his performances over the past month, he's scored goals and put the effort in.

Edited by kingfox

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

How do you fit him in with a 50 goal partnership up front? 442? 

Choose one of Kane and Vardy, they aren't a 50 goal partnership, they've scored 50 goals between them, there's a difference. They wouldn't work together imo.

Find it bizarre that Smalling isn't in the squad. I can only assume he's fell out with Southgate. I don't mind Loftus-Cheek being in but he seems pretty much the same as our other midfield options. If we were going to have someone a little bit left field then it would have been Lookman for me. He has been in fine form for Leipzig in Bundesliga and would have offered different qualities to the other players in the squad. 

21 minutes ago, Osavo said:

Choose one of Kane and Vardy, they aren't a 50 goal partnership, they've scored 50 goals between them, there's a difference. They wouldn't work together imo.

You get what I was getting at. They both need to start, the evidence is there from past games that they work together. 

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

You get what I was getting at. They both need to start, the evidence is there from past games that they work together. 

They don't both need to start. They could start together if we're playing two up front. Probably unlikely but could happen vs Tunisia and Panama in the group games.

If we're playing one up front then there's no point wasting Vardy out wide. Bring him on for Kane after 60/65 minutes and play him in his proper position where he can hurt teams.

Teams and selection of teams tend to evolve as the tournament progresses. I have a strong gut feeling that Vardy will shine when he gets his chance and will force his way into the starting line-up, especially if 'King Harry' is not quite as good as everyone seems to think he is. 

Edited by Blue Fox 72

I get the argument that Vardy is a sensational player who should be getting game time for England.

But we all know that Southgate will play Vardy as a sub, and bring him on to accompany Kane after 65, not replace him, so they won’t work together very well.

Dont forget, as well, that Dele Alli never ever passes to Vardy.

I foresee an exit on penalties in the quarters, with Vardy underused.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Alli has been consistently sub par for England, I’d imagine he starts though. Obviously only the last few friendliest but we looked a lot better with Lingard in the side because he’s more selfless.

Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain’s injuries are big blows. I’m not a huge fan but I’d probably have taken Wilshere as he can run with the ball well.

It's a bit one dimensional. The defence looks like it has been picked for its attacking ability which is fine against the likes of Tunisia and Panama but what happens if we have to play someone like France or Germany. Imagine Fabian Delph against Neymar! Lots of our defenders don't do much defending. Delph, Stones, Walker play for a club team that dominate possession and scare the life out of teams, they don't do much defending and will be in for a shock when we play someone decent.

There is also a lack of an obvious plan B. It looks like we are setting up to play wing backs and probably three or four in midfield.  What happens when we need a goal in the last 15 minutes of a game? If the system isn't working, there is only really like for like replacements on the bench.  I'd have like to see a couple of players like Albrighton and Andy Carroll who could come on and present a new set of problems to the opposition.

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

Bloke bottom left and bloke far right have got to be his brothers, surely?

Unless he's some sort of narcissist who chooses mates who look like him.....and that doesn't sound like our Harry - comes across as a mature, grounded lad.

4 hours ago, kingfox said:

Alexander-Arnold has had a few good months and deserves his place, Tarkowski fully deserves to be in ahead of Cahill and Jones, tell me why do they warrant a place? Tarkowski was included in the last England squad. I have no problems with the majority of that defence apart from Cahill and Jones, one of them would've been alright but not both, leaving out Tarkowski is the worst decision of that 23.

Joe Hart has been fvcking shit, simple as mate. The three included all deserve to be there, Alex McCarthy and Tom Heaton should be both ahead of Joe Hart as well. Pickford won Everton's player of the season, Pope is the man in form and Butland right now regardless of Stoke's season is probably our number one choice.

Midfield needs Wilshere or Shelvey, as you say it lacks creativity, Dier alongside Henderson would be the most negative looking central midfield pairing at the World Cup. Welbeck has earned his place for me just because of his performances over the past month, he's scored goals and put the effort in.

Jones has had a great season for Man Utd when fit, kept an obscene amount of clean sheets. You could argue Smalling has too but don't think Southgate likes his style of play.

16 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Bloke bottom left and bloke far right have got to be his brothers, surely?

Unless he's some sort of narcissist who chooses mates who look like him.....and that doesn't sound like our Harry - comes across as a mature, grounded lad.

Looks like siblings to me. Or he has tried to clone himself knowing eventually lcfc would need 3 of him.

Edited by Jattdogg

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Jones has had a great season for Man Utd when fit, kept an obscene amount of clean sheets. You could argue Smalling has too but don't think Southgate likes his style of play.

Well you called both Cahill and Jones picks yesterday so fair play.

Just very harsh on Tarkowski though, been robbed of an experience that he may not get again.

9 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Well you called both Cahill and Jones picks yesterday so fair play.

Just very harsh on Tarkowski though, been robbed of an experience that he may not get again.

He has been superb and Burnley as a defensive unit deserve massive praise, I just think it's the one area we've got established players performing well there too so it's hard to take them all. Cahill could and probably should have missed out but then i'd have taken another midfielder and one less full back as well.

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He has been superb and Burnley as a defensive unit deserve massive praise, I just think it's the one area we've got established players performing well there too so it's hard to take them all. Cahill could and probably should have missed out but then i'd have taken another midfielder and one less full back as well.

I said yesterday that I wouldn't be surprised if he takes nine defenders, I was just surprised to see Jones and Cahill both included. Walker, Trippier and Young were always going to be in, leaving out Alexander-Arnold would've been harsh, the other left-back spot wasn't really cemented down by anyone, I'm ok with it being Rose. If he chose an extra midfielder then it would've probably been Lallana, but the you'd have fans moaning about his lack of playing time.

Southgate said he'd pick in form players, yet he picks Jones and Cahill over Tarkowski, more players will be emerge over the next four years, a big opportunity has been robbed from him.

12 minutes ago, Walkers said:

If he's that good he'll be around in 4 years time

Maybe so but others will emerge too, Gomez, Lascelles, Keane etc... may all get ahead in line. 

Shelvey only had a few bad performances this season, but it seemed like every time he crapped out, Southgate just happened to be in the stands to witness it. He had a chance to impress Southgate a few weeks ago at Everton, but was anonymous. Similarly, Southgate was on hand sometime this season to see Smalling commit a howler that cost United a goal. I remember the broadcast panning to catch Southgate's reaction, which was pretty grim.

Bad luck/timing for both of those guys.

17 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

That midfield is fvckin atrocious for me. We’ll win fvck all with that.

Exactly what I thought. I looked at the strikers, and thought "Yeah. We look very strong up front." Then i looked at the keepers and thought, "Good choices, Gareth. No Hart. Well done." Next, I looked at the defence and thought, "Very good. We have strong centre-halves and full-backs." Lastly, I looked at the midfield and thought, "We're fuched."

• Like 1

We've been saying this for generations but we should be targeting the European Championships in 2 years time and the Qatar world cup. We just need to come through this tournament without any embarrassment and I think most people will accept that. The likes of Pickford, Sterling, Stones, Rashford, Kane, Loftus-Cheek, Alexander-Arnold and Maguire will hopefully continue to improve over the next couple of years and they'll be adding the likes of Sancho, Sessegnon, Foden, Maitland-Niles and other talented youngsters.

There's not a lot of caps in this squad.