Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

England world cup poll.

How will England do in the world cup?  

189 members have voted

1. 1. How will England do in the world cup?

• Winners
    • Runners up
    • Semi Final exit
    • Quarter Final exit
    • Round of 16 exit
    • Group stage exit

I'm usually more pessimistic than most, but feel more optimistic this time.

- In recent games we've looked very comfortable in possession in tight play, not just awkward square/back-passing like some previous England teams

- We're not as lacking in creativity as some claim. I'm not keen on Alli or Lingard as people, but they do offer some penetration

- Kane and Vardy are better strikers than most we've had in recent years, and should both go into the WC in confident mood

- How many exceptional sides are in the WC? Not many.

- We've often done better in the past with unproven, inexperienced players with low expectations, not big names

- We have a lot of pace and a few players capable of doing something at set pieces

The prospect of a defensive or goalkeeping cock-up would be my main concern. If it happens, I just it isn't down to our Harry...

Something will have gone very wrong if we cannot deal with Tunisia and Panama. Belgium have a lot of good players, but how good a team are they? They could flatter to deceive, with luck.

Last 16 not easy, but not impossible either. Think I'd prefer Poland, Senegal or Japan to Colombia, but would fancy us to progress against any.

Quarters.... If it's Germany, are they as strong as past German sides? Likely to be a close match. I've not seen much of Brazil, though their record in qualifying was impressive.....Dare to dream of the Semis?

Semis (tentatively)... :thumbup:

We all know how bad it can get with England, let's just hope they get through the group and if they get through some knockout games it will be a bonus. If they surprise us and do well then brilliant, if not then it was expected!

• 2 weeks later...

I think one of two things will happen.

1. We go out in the group stages

2. We smash someone good in the last 16, whole nation rises up in belief together, then lose in a quarter final 1-0 without a shot on target to a team we should have beaten comfortably. 

I think this is how it will play out, we will get through to the group stages in 2nd, with Belgium coming 1st, either by goal difference or as they beat us about 2-0 when we faced them. 

Setting us up with group H winners Poland... We will narrowly beat them, 2-1. 

Leading us to a Quarter final with Germany, who won their group and beat Serbia in the last round... We will get smashed 3-1, game over.

Edited by lcfcrinaldi

On 17/05/2018 at 16:14, ttfn said:

My prediction is 2nd in the group, beaten comfortably by Colombia in the last 16.

Either a last 16 exit or a group exit after a draw with Tunisia in the opener and a defeat to Belgium.

Edited by Max Wall

• 2 weeks later...