Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

Decent season last term but troubling how reliant they were on set pieces and Sam Hughes. I think we need to sell or release some of the older players like Josh Gordon as he's 24 in January and stopping the development of some younger players. The players pushing 20 and 21 are old enough to either be in the first team squad or moved on as the average age of our 23s is higher than the rest of the league which isn't conducive to the development of players that need it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wookie said:

Decent season last term but troubling how reliant they were on set pieces and Sam Hughes. I think we need to sell or release some of the older players like Josh Gordon as he's 24 in January and stopping the development of some younger players. The players pushing 20 and 21 are old enough to either be in the first team squad or moved on as the average age of our 23s is higher than the rest of the league which isn't conducive to the development of players that need it.

Not only older, but physically bigger which is Beagleholes philosophy on football, hence the reason >50% of U23 goals last season came from set-pieces (get it in the box as directly as possible and lets see what happens!)

And as you rightly say, it also blocks the pathway for younger players (u18s) who are ready to push on to the next level with the knock on effect being felt all the way down through the age groups. 

Either move them up or move them out to keep creating pathways should be the ethos of development

If they're not in the first team squad by the time they're 22ish they should be allowed to leave to a Championship or lower league side with a buy back clause.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Will Tyrel Pennant break through for the U18s/U23s next season?

He's only 15, won't make U23's for another 5 years, by that time we'll probably still be wheeling out 28 year old Josh Gordon in his place hoping for a miracle.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Not only older, but physically bigger which is Beagleholes philosophy on football, hence the reason >50% of U23 goals last season came from set-pieces (get it in the box as directly as possible and lets see what happens!)

And as you rightly say, it also blocks the pathway for younger players (u18s) who are ready to push on to the next level with the knock on effect being felt all the way down through the age groups. 

Either move them up or move them out to keep creating pathways should be the ethos of development

Surely the U19's league is for 18yos not the U23s. 

56 minutes ago, FIF said:

Surely the U19's league is for 18yos not the U23s. 

There isn't a U19s league.....only a u19s champions league trophy for clubs participating in the CL.  

Most of the top clubs play their most promising U18s in the U23s league to speed up their development.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

Should of stayed as the under 21’s and not 23’s. Because if you’re not in the first team squad by the time you’re turning 22 you’re not going to play and should move on.

It was a well intended initiative from the PL to enable players to stay in the game longer....but unfortunately, it is proving counter-productive as 22-23 year olds who would previously have been 'filtered out' of the system are now clogging up the pathway and restricting opportunities for promising younger players coming through.

The Josh Gordon case is a classic example of a 23 year-old player who will never play for our 1st team but is still occupying the main striker role for the U23s and denying younger 18-20 year olds the chance to play against 18-20 year olds from Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City etc, etc...

I'm guessing the plan is that we will make a few quid out of selling him on to a lower league club once his contract expires next season but should we really be focussing our energies on making 'a few quid' or should we be aiming for something bigger and better with our current resources...?!?

(PS I think we would need to sell him for >£300k to make any kind of profit considering the fee we paid for him and the wages we will have paid him)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

It was a well intended initiative from the PL to enable players to stay in the game longer....but unfortunately, it is proving counter-productive as 22-23 year olds who would previously have been 'filtered out' of the system are now clogging up the pathway and restricting opportunities for promising younger players coming through.

The Josh Gordon case is a classic example of a 23 year-old player who will never play for our 1st team but is still occupying the main striker role for the U23s and denying younger 18-20 year olds the chance to play against 18-20 year olds from Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City etc, etc...

I'm guessing the plan is that we will make a few quid out of selling him on to a lower league club once his contract expires next season but should we really be focussing our energies on making 'a few quid' or should we be aiming for something bigger and better with our current resources...?!?

(PS I think we would need to sell him for >£300k to make any kind of profit considering the fee we paid for him and the wages we will have paid him)

In fairness, you need a few older, experienced players to give the team stability and momentum and help the younger ones. If the team is full of 18 year olds getting thumped every match I doubt anyone's going to develop that much.

12 hours ago, Foxxed said:

In fairness, you need a few older, experienced players to give the team stability and momentum and help the younger ones. If the team is full of 18 year olds getting thumped every match I doubt anyone's going to develop that much.

That's why they should have kept a reserve team league with a minimum number development players it would also mean decent game time for 1st team squad players keeping them fit and reducing the chance of injuries like now when they're put back in the 1st team after not playing for weeks like Amarty. There was nothing wrong with it just a lack of glamour and boosting the PL name.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Most other clubs play teams with an avg age ranging from 18-21 so only reason we would we get "thumped" if we were playing a team with an average age of 19-20 would be if our players (or coaches?) were not as good as theirs?

Talent/potential should be the determining factor....not age or height

9 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Most other clubs play teams with an avg age ranging from 18-21 so only reason we would we get "thumped" if we were playing a team with an average age of 19-20 would be if our players (or coaches?) were not as good as theirs?

Talent/potential should be the determining factor....not age or height

It's not so much age or height but experience. I agree that we shouldn't let older players who are unlikely to break through get in the way of younger players. But the younger players also need players with a bit more experience around them. There's a balance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, baldeagle said:

Sounds really promising, does Hughes. I wonder how much time he'll get in the pre season with Puel. He was keen enough to put him on the bench at least last season.

9 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Sounds really promising, does Hughes. I wonder how much time he'll get in the pre season with Puel. He was keen enough to put him on the bench at least last season.

Doesn’t it , also nice to hear how Huth helped him 

• 3 weeks later...

Thought he looked like one of the more promising ones but he wouldn't have stood much chance of getting a game. Hope he gets plenty at Bradford.

• Like 1

Thought he had an outside chance with us - but if we're not even looking at promoting our CBs I guess he had no chance. I wish him al the best and will follow his career with interest. Thanks for the entertainment Connor.