Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

24 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Feel sorry for Beaglehole. Very good coach/manager. Having to shoehorn players into a 4-2-3-1 system with Loft up front just to suit Puel must drive him mad. Clearly not what he'd play given a choice. Shite system in my opinion and doesn't suit the Senior side either. 

Hahahaa come off it, that Loft looks abysmal and I assume Beaglehole gave the approval of bringing him in. We currently have only 2 fit strikers for the academy and the same for the first team, it's slightly perturbing. I don't know what formation would suit the U23's right now, they're going through a transition which isn't a bad thing. We had too many 20-22 year olds in there which was hindering the bunch of 16-19 year olds and although we had a damn good go at winning the PL2, the end goal for the academy is producing first team players and not winning trophies.

The likes of Tee, Shade and Ughelumba look worthy of a spot in the team at a young age and will help their next steps. 

I'd still argue we've the same coaches in our academy for over a decade and if we want to be at the forefront of producing the best young players, with the best training facilities in the country then we need the coaches to match.

• Like 3

Very poor display. Ndukwu was particularly crap.I just hope we're using these cup games like the League cup as a chance to play some fringe/younger players. The keeper looks a find though, I can see him being first choice in a few years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

No idea why the club region lock these matches this season. They didn’t last season as far as I know, and surely there isn’t a copyright issue.

Worked ok with a VPN, but still, totally pointless and mean spirited.

In the first pre season match didn't the whole thing go down? They probably can't handle the user load. Why they don't just stream it to YouTube and disable the comments I don't know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

In the first pre season match didn't the whole thing go down? They probably can't handle the user load. Why they don't just stream it to YouTube and disable the comments I don't know.

Can’t imagine there’d be much of a demand for these matches though. Actually I wouldn’t be surprised if it was simply incompetence and some tech has simply forgotten to disable the region lock switch after the pre season matches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Can’t imagine there’d be much of a demand for these matches though. Actually I wouldn’t be surprised if it was simply incompetence and some tech has simply forgotten to disable the region lock switch after the pre season matches.

Haha, very probably. Open letter time?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahaa come off it, that Loft looks abysmal and I assume Beaglehole gave the approval of bringing him in. We currently have only 2 fit strikers for the academy and the same for the first team, it's slightly perturbing. I don't know what formation would suit the U23's right now, they're going through a transition which isn't a bad thing. We had too many 20-22 year olds in there which was hindering the bunch of 16-19 year olds and although we had a damn good go at winning the PL2, the end goal for the academy is producing first team players and not winning trophies.

The likes of Tee, Shade and Ughelumba look worthy of a spot in the team at a young age and will help their next steps. 

I'd still argue we've the same coaches in our academy for over a decade and if we want to be at the forefront of producing the best young players, with the best training facilities in the country then we need the coaches to match.

Not sure that has anything to do with the system implemented by the club for all teams Ric. Having watched Beaglehole managed sides over the years, it seems to me that he likes high intensity, aggressive and percentage style football. Can't understand the obsession with the Development playing the same system as the first team by decree. It's not as if they'll all replace the current side in the short term anyway. Also, who's to say a new manager won't be in place if any of these lads make the grade. Rather see lads brought up with a winning mentality rather than experts but stifled in one playing system. Just my opinion. 

59 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Not sure that has anything to do with the system implemented by the club for all teams Ric. Having watched Beaglehole managed sides over the years, it seems to me that he likes high intensity, aggressive and percentage style football. Can't understand the obsession with the Development playing the same system as the first team by decree. It's not as if they'll all replace the current side in the short term anyway. Also, who's to say a new manager won't be in place if any of these lads make the grade. Rather see lads brought up with a winning mentality rather than experts but stifled in one playing system. Just my opinion. 

We'll have to agree to disagree here, I like the idea of having a seemless path from youth football to first team in their style of play. This hasn't been the case before and our track record of bringing players through has been fairly poor, in 5 years as a PL club only Ben Chilwell has come through to be a regular in the first team. Schlupp and King came through whilst we were at a lower level but all of them from the exact same coaching set up. One thing Puel has done in his career as a manager in France is get academy players coming through, I believe as fans we would welcome this and therefore him trying to change a fairly mediocre previous system is fine by me.

Also the winning mentality should always be there as players but it's the coaches that have to have the end goal in sight. For players it'll always be the same, to try and become a professional footballer and impress.

• Thanks 1

I stopped watching after 60+ minutes but what i saw was very poor and it had nothing to do with systems, it was all rushed and panicky, poor first touch, misplaced passes, etc. Hopefully early season rustiness but then again Reading looked far better at all those things.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

I stopped watching after 60+ minutes but what i saw was very poor and it had nothing to do with systems, it was all rushed and panicky, poor first touch, misplaced passes, etc. Hopefully early season rustiness but then again Reading looked far better at all those things.

Reading were excellent. Clearly been very well coached and Tom McIntyre was outstanding at the back for them.   Played very good possession based football ate a high tempo and with the ball on the ground. Just like Aston Villa U23s at end of last season when they also completely outplayed us and combated our physical "hoofball" style of play

• Like 1

12 hours ago, l444ry said:

Feel sorry for Beaglehole. Very good coach/manager. Having to shoehorn players into a 4-2-3-1 system with Loft up front just to suit Puel must drive him mad. Clearly not what he'd play given a choice. Shite system in my opinion and doesn't suit the Senior side either. 

In what way is Beaglehole a very good coach/manager?  I know many well respected people who would vehemently disagree...some of whom who have either played for, coached or managed our club!

Leicester U23s finished 3rd last season by largely playing against younger/less experienced teams but the moment we ourselves lose to stronger opposition, the headlines always refer to "youthful foxes side" as if that is the sole cause for the defeat.

A bit of consistency and balance in the reporting of the relative ages and experience of either side might help people better understand what is really going on and which side should be expected to win based on the relative age and experience of the selected players.

By way of example, when LCFC U23s beat high flying Liverpool 4-0 at KP Stadium at end last season in what could have proved to be a title deciding game, LFC turned up with a young team mainly made up of their under 18s team and averaging <19 years old. By contrast, leicesters team that night featured several players who had played at senior level with the avg age being >21.   Strangely, I dont recall the Foxes media team referring to the LFC team as a "youthful Reds team" in all their post-match celebrations ...!

Beagleholes ideal style of football is based on physicality (the lower league football he himself played at and professes to love!) and getting the ball forward quickly to a big/strong target man and try and feed off the loose possession.

Most of our goals last season came via our big centre halves (Hughes, Knight, Johnson, Benalouane) scoring directly from corners/free-kicks/throw ins into the box and very few goals were created from open play which demands a higher level of technical competence.

Out of possession, it is simply a high pressing game (which is fine), win the ball back and get it back into the box ASAP. Very little attempt to play out from the back or through the thirds and I don't recall one single occasion Vs Swansea on Monday when our GK attempted to play out from the back

Based on the preferred style of play last season, Im very surprised that you think Beaglehole had no say in the Loft transfer or selection as Loft is EXACTLY the type of player that Beaglehole would want in his team (big, strong, physical)....where as Puel prefers to play with Vardy and Ihenacho whose style of play is nothing like Ryan Loft .

Edited by Foxy-Lady
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I see some people giving our team a hard time when we are clearly giving young inexperienced players a run out yet the same people complain when we play more experienced players and win matches.

Maybe just try to enjoy the free game and look out for the positive points. In the end if players aren't up to it they'll disappear but without being given a chance we'll never know.

3 minutes ago, FIF said:

I see some people giving our team a hard time when we are clearly giving young inexperienced players a run out yet the same people complain when we play more experienced players and win matches.

Maybe just try to enjoy the free game and look out for the positive points. In the end if players aren't up to it they'll disappear but without being given a chance we'll never know.

Is it the players or the coaches they are giving a hard time?  Two very different issues...

(PS some people actually pay money to go to the games so its not FREE for everyone!)  :)

15 minutes ago, FIF said:

Maybe the players are appearing not up to it because of the way they're being coached.

I have no doubts about the commitment and enthusiasm but there was a distinct lack of basic skills on show first touch, comfort on the ball, holding the ball against pressure, intelligent and accurate passing, coordinated teamwork to enable you to by pass the opposition. 

I've seen them play like that in phases and on occasions but not consistently where as Reading performed as those attributes in abundance.

I don't even watch expecting to enjoy the game or for them to win I expect to see mistakes and would never criticise a young player for them. I watch to see if they have the skills and the potential to improve and move up the ladder I didn't see that last night or against Swansea save for a couple of minutes.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

In what way is Beaglehole a very good coach/manager?  I know many well respected people who would vehemently disagree...some of whom who have either played for, coached or managed our club!

Leicester U23s finished 3rd last season by largely playing against younger/less experienced teams but the moment we ourselves lose to stronger opposition, the headlines always refer to "youthful foxes side" as if that is the sole cause for the defeat.

A bit of consistency and balance in the reporting of the relative ages and experience of either side might help people better understand what is really going on and which side should be expected to win based on the relative age and experience of the selected players.

By way of example, when LCFC U23s beat high flying Liverpool 4-0 at KP Stadium at end last season in what could have proved to be a title deciding game, LFC turned up with a young team mainly made up of their under 18s team and averaging <19 years old. By contrast, leicesters team that night featured several players who had played at senior level with the avg age being >21.   Strangely, I dont recall the Foxes media team referring to the LFC team as a "youthful Reds team" in all their post-match celebrations ...!

Beagleholes ideal style of football is based on physicality (the lower league football he himself played at and professes to love!) and getting the ball forward quickly to a big/strong target man and try and feed off the loose possession.

Most of our goals last season came via our big centre halves (Hughes, Knight, Johnson, Benalouane) scoring directly from corners/free-kicks/throw ins into the box and very few goals were created from open play which demands a higher level of technical competence.

Out of possession, it is simply a high pressing game (which is fine), win the ball back and get it back into the box ASAP. Very little attempt to play out from the back or through the thirds and I don't recall one single occasion Vs Swansea on Monday when our GK attempted to play out from the back

Based on the preferred style of play last season, Im very surprised that you think Beaglehole had no say in the Loft transfer or selection as Loft is EXACTLY the type of player that Beaglehole would want in his team (big, strong, physical)....where as Puel prefers to play with Vardy and Ihenacho whose style of play is nothing like Ryan Loft .

Yeah i do get the feeling that the reason Ndukwu's progression has stalled over the past couple of years is because Beaglehole prefers someone who will give him work-rate and physicality. Not bothered about the result last night but i did think the tactics and style of football was like something you'd see in sunday league.. 

• Like 1

Havent a great number of our 'older-younger players' either gone out on loan or departed? Therefore a number if our under-18s have been moved up?

Not been able to check the team sheet as am abroad, but surely there's a degree of patience required?

I am of the opinion that the club wanted to win the league last as it would have tied nicely into the new facility announcement. It wasnt to be, but I think if our younger players can shine away from the club to return for one or two to be hopefully transitioned for 1st team action then we can additionally attract the youth to utilise top class academy/training facility.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Havent a great number of our 'older-younger players' either gone out on loan or departed? Therefore a number if our under-18s have been moved up?

Not been able to check the team sheet as am abroad, but surely there's a degree of patience required?

I am of the opinion that the club wanted to win the league last as it would have tied nicely into the new facility announcement. It wasnt to be, but I think if our younger players can shine away from the club to return for one or two to be hopefully transitioned for 1st team action then we can additionally attract the youth to utilise top class academy/training facility.

Since when has anyone on Foxes Talk showed any degree of patience.

1 hour ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I didn't say Beaglehole had no say in his transfer/selection. However, I do agree with much of your analysis but come to a different conclusion on the Manager's abilities.   

18 minutes ago, Foxes1 said:

Since when has anyone on Foxes Talk showed any degree of patience.

It's not about having patience it's observing what you see and expressing concern about the way things seem to be going for the players sake not mine.