Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

Elder & Eppiah Sign New Leicester City Contracts
Young Leicester City duo Callum Elder and Josh Eppiah have both signed new contracts with the Football Club.

- Academy graduates Callum Elder and Josh Eppiah have signed new contracts with Leicester City Football Club
- Left-back Elder spent last season on loan with Wigan Athletic, helping them to the Sky Bet League 1 title and promotion to the Championship
- Belgian forward Eppiah was part of City’s Development Squad that won the Hong Kong Soccer Sevens tournament in 2017

Elder has committed his future to the Club until 2020, after returning from a season-long loan spell at Wigan Athletic. While on loan, the 23-year-old helped the Latics to promotion as League 1 winners, making 33 appearances for Paul Cook’s side in all competitions.

The left-back, who can also operate as a winger, arrived at Leicester aged 16 and was awarded his first professional contract in 2013.

After continuing his development with loan spells at Mansfield Town, Peterborough United, Brentford, Barnsley and then Wigan Athletic, Elder played a significant part in Leicester City’s 2018/19 pre-season.

Eppiah, who has also signed a two-year deal, joined Leicester City’s Academy at the age of 10 and has progressed through the ranks to become a key member of the Club’s Development Squad.

The pacy forward was part of City’s Under-21s group that won the Hong Kong Soccer Sevens tournament in 2017, winning ‘Player of the Tournament’ after netting eight goals - more than any other player that year.

Following his success in Hong Kong, Eppiah returned to the Under-23s for the 2017/18 campaign, where he helped the side to a third-place finish in Premier League 2.

Just now, lcfcsnow said:

Elder should be out on loan playing at his age. I can't see him ever playing for us so makes little sense to offer a new deal.

I think the only reason he’s stayed is so Puel can take a closer look at him to see if he’s capable of replacing Fuchs next season. 

Judging by his his performances in pre season and also the need for a Fuchs replacement, i’d say Elder is actually closer to our first team than the likes of Choudhury, Knight & Hughes.

5 minutes ago, Shane said:

I think the only reason he’s stayed is so Puel can take a closer look at him to see if he’s capable of replacing Fuchs next season. 

Judging by his his performances in pre season and also the need for a Fuchs replacement, i’d say Elder is actually closer to our first team than the likes of Choudhury, Knight & Hughes.

If we don't use him we definitely have to buy a new left back anyway. He's seemed capable when I've seen him play.

8 minutes ago, Shane said:

I can answer that for him. He's had two loans in the championship and failed to get into the team he was at. League one seems to be his level.

No Choudhury, could be playing tomorrow?

Guess Elders new contract is so we can sell him for some money next year, would have thought this season would be perfect to give him game time in the cups if he has a future here, shame as I thought he played well in preseason.

Edited by TheMightySystem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, los dedos said:

Just seems strange that the academy left back is older than they first team left back . 

Well they're technically both academy left backs who are pretty close in age, with the better academy left back being promoted.

33 minutes ago, brucey said:

Well they're technically both academy left backs who are pretty close in age, with the better academy left back being promoted.

Elder has been out on loan for the past several season and not been convincing above League one level, really not sure why we gave him a new contract, he's 23 and still not played a game for us

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Elder has been out on loan for the past several season and not been convincing above League one level, really not sure why we gave him a new contract, he's 23 and still not played a game for us

How can you be convincing above league one level when you’ve only played 6 games there?

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

How can you be convincing above league one level when you’ve only played 6 games there?

he had 2 half season loans in the Championship the year before last, played 5 times for Brentford before they sent him back early then 6 times for Barnsley, Wigan hardly fought to get him back this season either, just don't think he's good enough to be at a Premier League club

33 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Tragic two Premier League winners from just 3 years ago are reduced to u23 football these days. 

It's not that difficult to knock on a few doors and take a cut in wages when you've already millions in the bank though is it? They're perfectly happy plodding along until January on 50k a week i'd imagine (perhaps not so much Kingy but no idea why he didn't join the swans!)

40 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Tragic two Premier League winners from just 3 years ago are reduced to u23 football these days. 

Not at all.

They are nowhere near the level required to play for our first team and they certainly don't seem willing to take the paycut required to get first team time in a lower division team. Love me some Kingy but he's finished for first team action here. Simpson doesn't look even upto this level and can't be arsed.

32 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Callum Wright looks good

Some things and other times he's looked poor and not with the team "spiritually". Certainly a confident or selfish player.

Dewsbury hall has looked a good number 10.

Edited by Guest

37 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

he had 2 half season loans in the Championship the year before last, played 5 times for Brentford before they sent him back early then 6 times for Barnsley, Wigan hardly fought to get him back this season either, just don't think he's good enough to be at a Premier League club

5 games and 6 games isn’t half a season in the championship.