Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

2 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I do sometimes question whether the 'token'' first team appearances we see from some of your current Yth players (ie Chaudhoury, Knight, Thomas, Hughes, Ndukwu, Johnson, Gordon etc...) is simply a media driven exercise to increase player transfer values (which definitely makes good business sense!) and/or to promote the careers of 'others' as opposed to the players themselves.  I guess we will know the answer to that question in a few years time when we see what happens to the careers of the current crop of excellent U23 players we currently have in our system...!

Definitely the case with Gordon I think. I don't mind it. It's not like we'll do it for the players with lots of current promise - they'll get legit opportunities.

On 11/10/2018 at 22:45, Foxy-Lady said:

I am reliably informed that Josh Knight has had at least two potential loan deals 'thwarted' by the LCFC hierarchy since last Jan.

Opportunities in each of last 2 transfer windows to go on loan to different Div1 sides but was not allowed to go as LCFC preferred him to stay and support Beagleholes U23 campaign.

Would not be overly surprised if he were to leave at end of season when his current deal runs-out...

This is where my gripe is. It is surely, SURELY beneficial for him to go out on loan and play proper competitive football, but we keep him here to try and win an ultimately pointless league.

I'm not saying winning it is a bad thing at all but we've gotten fixated on the wrong thing here.

• Like 4

The brightest prospects within the Leicester City academy revealed according to the Merc -  https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brightest-prospects-within-leicester-city-2106086
We pick out some of the top prospects within the club's academy set-up

ByDaniel Orme
07:00, 14 OCT 2018

Leicester City academy graduate Ben Chilwell made his first senior start for England on Friday night in a 0-0 draw against Croatia.

The match was a momentous moment for the young left-back, as well as the youth set-up at City’s disposal at Belvoir Drive. Harvey Barnes, on loan at West Bromwich Albion, was also named in Aidy Boothroyd’s Under-21 England squad for the first time.

Both products of the academy, who could be the next young star from the City conveyor belt to make an impact on the international stage?

Hamza Choudhury

A name already familiar to City fans, Choudhury has been a stalwart for the Under-23s at the King Power Stadium. The tenacious midfielder, now captain of the side, has made 54 appearances since progressing through the club’s youth academy.

He has also managed to make 10 appearances for the City first-team, breaking in at the back end of the 2017/18 campaign under current boss Claude Puel. Choudhury has also had a taste of international football, managing to make four appearances for the England Under-21 side.

The 21-year-old has not appeared in a squad since the summer though so will be extremely keen to earn more call-ups.

Sam Hughes

Signed from Chester in July 2017, defender Hughes has become a key player for the City Under-23 side. His assured presence at the back help ensure Leicester challenged for the title in the Premier League 2 last season. The centre-back was also prolific in front of goal last season as he bagged seven goals in only 19 games.

He has been ruled out with injury so far during the current campaign but will be keen to return to action sooner rather than later. The 21-year-old has yet to earn his debut call up for the Young Lions but should he continue last season’s spectacular form, he could be called upon.

Darnell Johnson

From one player who has not yet had a taste of international football, to one who has impressed through the age groups. Versatile defender Johnson has represented the Three Lions from Under-15 level all the way through to Under-20, where he has made four appearances and scored two goals. Johnson was also a key member of the squad that lifted the Under-19 Euros in 2017.

The 20-year-old is also a vital member of City’s Under-23 set-up despite his tender age. He has made 56 appearances for the side and looks likely to make an impact on the first-team squad in the near future.

Callum Wright

A player who has only been at the club for a matter of months, Wright signed for City on January deadline day from Blackburn Rovers. He has scored in his last two appearances for City’s Under-23 side in a 2-2 draw with Brighton and Hove Albion and a slim defeat to Arsenal.

His record in the Premier League 2 is actually pretty impressive for an attacking midfielder having netted six goals in only 18 appearances for City and Blackburn combined.

The 18-year-old made his debut for the England Under-18s this year in a 2-1 defeat to Argentina. Wright has picked up a further cap since then and is sure to pick up more should his hot streak in front of goal continue.

Layton Ndukwu

One man who is surely also set for more international recognition is attacking midfielder Layton Ndukwu. Arguably one of the most talented players in City’s academy set-up, the midfielder has become known for his vision and skill on the ball.

Comfortable on both flanks, Ndukwu has started the new season in fine form by bagging three goals in only four appearances for the Under-23s. He has made 56 appearances for the side since breaking through so surely is set for bigger things soon.

His record for England is also very respectable. For the Three Lions’ Under-17 side, he scored six goals in 17 games. Although, he has not made a single international appearance since 2015.

Conor Tee

Once compared to former Manchester United and England midfielder Paul Scholes by Steve Beaglehole, Tee is playing above his age range at age 18. Now included in the Under-23 side, the attacking midfielder was drafted in thanks to a great record of nine goals and 12 assists in 46 games with the Under-18s. He also scooped City’s academy player of the year award at the end of the 2017/18 season.

Despite that, Tee is yet to make an impression on the international stage at any age group so he could certainly be one to look out for in the near future.

Josh Knight

Having already made his first team debut for City against Sheffield United in the Carabao Cup last season, centre-back Josh Knight appears to have a promising future ahead of him. An imposing central defender, he has made 47 appearances for the club’s Under-23 side. He was also included on the bench for Leicester’s 4-0 win over Fleetwood Town in the same competition this year. It is clear then that Claude Puel rates the 21-year-old highly.

Despite that, Knight has yet to appear for any of England’s age groups.

Luke Thomas

The first left-back to appear on this list, Thomas, who represents the U18s at Belvoir Drive, comes highly rated. The youngster has enjoyed an excellent start to the season and scored in the opening game against Reading. He also made his debut for the U23s at the start of this year in a 6-1 victory over Tottenham Hotspur.

Thomas was also pivotal in a 2-2 draw against Fulham last season as he netted a 95th minute equaliser to snatch a point.

Ethan Fitzhugh

At only age 15, winger Fitzhugh has already managed to break into the Under-18s squad at City having started the two opening games of the season. He is eligible to play for England so it would not be a surprise to see him included in one of the lower age groups some time soon.

Sideni Tavares

Another who has secured himself a place in the U18s squad at City, Portuguese national Tavares has started the season excellently. He has started three games so far this season, scoring one goal. Comfortable in the middle of the park, the 17-year-old has appeared 12 times for the side.

That has gathered attention from the Portuguese youth set up and he was named as an unused substitute in Portugal U19’s 4-1 loss to England U19’s in a friendly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Leicester City continue their Checkatrade Trophy campaign tomorrow night at League Two side Bury.

City will be fielding an under-21 side at Gigg Lane but can name two players who are older and have made more than 40 first-team appearances.

Danny Simpson did play in City’s last game in Group B, which they drew 2-2 at Fleetwood Town but won after a penalty shoot-out, but the majority of the City side will be made up by some of club’s exciting youngsters.

City fans can pay on the gate on the night and kick-off is 7.45pm.

Sixteen category one clubs have been invited to enter young teams into the competition, which was won last year by Lincoln City.

The under-23 Development Squad have been going well this season in Premier League 2 and are fourth behind Everton, Arsenal and Manchester City in Division One.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:02, l444ry said:

Excellent observation/post. Slightly spoilt by the obvious Beaglehole dig nevertheless.

Thanks.  :)

It was not intended as a dig against Beaglehole but I can see why it reads that way.  Equally, it is quite difficult to try and highlight a potential area of concern without actually highlighting the activities of those directly involved.

It was interesting to read the recently published Ben Chilwell interview where he was glowing in his praise for several of his coaches at U16 level in LCFC academy (none of whom are any longer with the club) but made NO mention whatsoever of any of the coaches at U18 or U23 level.  I have heard the same story from several other well connected sources and it does make you question why that would be...?

As I said in my original post...

"I guess we may know the answer to that question in a few years time when we see what happens to the careers of the current crop of excellent U23 players we currently have in our system...!"

4 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

It was not intended as a dig against Beaglehole but I can see why it reads that way.  Equally, it is quite difficult to try and highlight a potential area of concern without actually highlighting the activities of those directly involved.

It was interesting to read the recently published Ben Chilwell interview where he was glowing in his praise for several of his coaches at U16 level in LCFC academy (none of whom are any longer with the club) but made NO mention whatsoever of any of the coaches at U18 or U23 level.  I have heard the same story from several other well connected sources and it does make you question why that would be...?

"I guess we may know the answer to that question in a few years time when we see what happens to the careers of the current crop of excellent U23 players we currently have in our system...!"

The u16 coaches could just be particularly good rather than the u18 plus being particularly bad. You seem to be more knowledgable than me though. Why have those u16 coaches left?

We'll see what happens in Jan. I can see Hamza staying put because of his kid. At least one of Darnell, Knight, Hughes and perhaps Ndunku need to be loaned out. 

11 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I think he could be referring to that Spanish coach that left. He seemed to have done a lot of good work. The loan to Huddersfield was great too, it is weird each player we have sent out on loan has come back better yet we refuse to send out even the older ones.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Foxxed said:

The u16 coaches could just be particularly good rather than the u18 plus being particularly bad. You seem to be more knowledgable than me though. Why have those u16 coaches left?

We'll see what happens in Jan. I can see Hamza staying put because of his kid. At least one of Darnell, Knight, Hughes and perhaps Ndunku need to be loaned out. 

Idiakez got binned or forced to leave because his ethos and style didn’t fit with the clubs, much to the dismay of the academy players and staff. That’s what I was told anyway and has been the case for a few other coaches at a younger level.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Idiakez got binned or forced to leave because his ethos and style didn’t fit with the clubs, much to the dismay of the academy players and staff. That’s what I was told anyway and has been the case for a few other coaches at a younger level.

Bullsh*t , he left by his own choice to join Pearson at Derby and is now doing well at Luton academy . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jamesmilner said:

Bullsh*t , he left by his own choice to join Pearson at Derby and is now doing well at Luton academy . 

This is what I heard. It's amazing how some stories get twisted 180° to suit agendas.

1 hour ago, jamesmilner said:

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We actually offered him a better deal to stay but was adamant he wanted to go. No way did we bin him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesmilner said:

Left on his own accord because he wasn't getting on with certain people at the club and felt he had to? Themightyfin seems to know a fair bit about the academy so if this isn't what happened then I stand corrected but it's what I was told and was mentioned on here at the time.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Left on his own accord because he wasn't getting on with certain people at the club and felt he had to? Themightyfin seems to know a fair bit about the academy so if this isn't what happened then I stand corrected but it's what I was told and was mentioned on here at the time.

he became first team coach at Derby, he was offered a promotion and took it