Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

12 minutes ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

What's the latest on Callum Elder. Is he still at Wigan or has he returned?

He plays most weeks for our U23s. Often mentioned in this very thread.

Leicester City want defender Callum Elder to join a Championship club on loan in January, to gain more first-team experience.

The 23-year-old Australian is highly-rated at City and has recently signed a new contract to keep him at the club until 2020.

Leicester would now like him to go out on loan to prepare him for next season as they plan ahead for life without Christian Fuchs, who is leaving the club when his contract expires after four years at King Power Stadium.

The Sydney-born left back joined City as a 16-year-old and came through the academy structure.

After loan spells with Mansfield Town, Peterborough United, Brentford and Barnsley, he had a very successful loan at Wigan Athletic, where he played an important role in their promotion back to the Championship.

Having performed well at League One level, a step up to the Championship is seen as a preferred option as City continue to plot his development.

With all due respect to Elder, from what I've read and seen, he should be nowhere near our first 18. At 23 he should be thinking about joining a club in league one and trying to work his way up the pyramid.

That being said, he's on a contract at Leicester, meaning there is a very good chance he is earning way more than he could probably get anywhere else. So you can see why he'd want to milk us for as long as possible.

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

With all due respect to Elder, from what I've read and seen, he should be nowhere near our first 18. At 23 he should be thinking about joining a club in league one and trying to work his way up the pyramid.

That being said, he's on a contract at Leicester, meaning there is a very good chance he is earning way more than he could probably get anywhere else. So you can see why he'd want to milk us for as long as possible.

He can't milk if the club didn't think he had potential, they gave him the contract.

Do agree about the loan but it should have been ongoing since he was 21 or so as should so many more of our U23s.

1 minute ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

Don't visit this thread much :D

Fair enough, but maybe if you post in a thread you should at least read back a few pages. Still each to their own in this new world of immediate satisfaction :D. Elder is with us at the moment. He's solid for the U23s and he seems quite intelligent. Whether he can really step up to be Chilwell's backup next season is debatable, I think probably not but he certainly could perform for a championship side. Perhaps he should go to Leicester Bromwich Albion. We have another young attacking LB that looks like he has more potential though I'd put Elder as the better defender at the moment.

58 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He's very good in the u23s. Out of all the u23s he's up there with the players who look like they could break through, albeit at 23...

I suspect we're sending him out on loan either to prepare him to be Chilwell's backup or to assess if we have to buy a new backup left back.

If this Luke Thomas fulfils his potential we'll be three years from another good academy left back.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

He's very good in the u23s. Out of all the u23s he's up there with the players who look like they could break through, albeit at 23...

I suspect we're sending him out on loan either to prepare him to be Chilwell's backup or to assess if we have to buy a new backup left back.

If this Luke Thomas fulfils his potential we'll be three years from another good academy left back.

I know Wigan weren't massively keen on keeping him after getting promoted. I'd never write a player off, as Vardy has proved if you've got the determination, there's always room for improvement.

I'd be very surprised if he makes it here, but as I said above, we've offered him a contract on what is probably good money. So there's little motivation for him to look for first team football lower down the pyramid, at least for another 12-18 months anyway.

Edited to say, I just found this which is basically an article proving me wrong! haha

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-citys-callum-elder-wanted-1769887

I must have read on the their forum that the fans weren't too bothered about having him for another year.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Leicester City want defender Callum Elder to join a Championship club on loan in January, to gain more first-team experience.

The 23-year-old Australian is highly-rated at City and has recently signed a new contract to keep him at the club until 2020.

Leicester would now like him to go out on loan to prepare him for next season as they plan ahead for life without Christian Fuchs, who is leaving the club when his contract expires after four years at King Power Stadium.

The Sydney-born left back joined City as a 16-year-old and came through the academy structure.

After loan spells with Mansfield Town, Peterborough United, Brentford and Barnsley, he had a very successful loan at Wigan Athletic, where he played an important role in their promotion back to the Championship.

Having performed well at League One level, a step up to the Championship is seen as a preferred option as City continue to plot his development.

Curious that the club still seem to rate him - he’s 2 years older than Chilwell and still hasn’t made his full debut for the club. Though I do seem to remember him doing very well in pre-season in quite a few roles?

24 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Any player in our u23s that is over 21 needs to at least be out on loan.

I wonder who we can loan Benny too lol. Some youngsters are frankly fillers while we wait for younger players to develop. I suspect having a few older players around  helps the younger ones develop. However, there are at least three young players I'd love to see loaned out this window.

On 11/12/2018 at 21:13, Ric Flair said:

Luke Thomas is in the England U18 set up, attacking left back like Chilwell. Terel Pennant is talented as is Sidnei Tavares who's a classy central midfielder. Will Russ recently signed from Chesterfield and used to play 2-3 years above his age group. 

Russ, Russ Will tear you apart again..... :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2018 at 18:09, siraaj_lcfc said:

What's the latest on Callum Elder. Is he still at Wigan or has he returned?

Has Lenny Glover’s ligament damage improved?