Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Remembering When LCFC Moved From Filbert Street

One of My lasting memories of Filbert Street isn’t of any game played there but of how creepy the stadium felt empty especially the supporters area between the main east stand concourse and the entrance from Burnmoor Street 

I'm 29 so was lucky that I got to experience both. Filbert Street was full of character and some great memories for me from the O'Neill years there - the time I really got hooked on LCFC.

That said, it was time to move and what history we've built at the new place!

We've certainly had problems with the atmosphere at the KP but during the great escape, the title-winning season and the Champions League campaign there were atmospheres that surpassed anything from Filbert Street and, in actual fact, anything I've seen elsewhere in English football.

I'm not sure what my favourite memory is out of:

The entire ground legitimately wanting to murder Remi Harrell during the Atletico Madrid game, even in the normally subdued Carling Stand. Almost the same with Alan Shearer after booting Lenny. Most fans can only manage such venom towards our own players now.

Beating Villa to go to the 2000 League Cup final and wanting to celebrate long after the whistle while the Villa fan my parents had invited along got increasingly more mardy.

Being right next to the Red Star fans in the UEFA Cup, for my first taste of a more "continental" atmosphere

Walshy coming on as a sub in the first home game of the 2000/01 season in what would be his final appearance for City. I'm not sure if it was a known thing that T*ylor had planned to ship him out of the club soon after, but he got a reaction I'll never forget.

14 hours ago, Col city fan said:

My best memory of all. Big games (for us) under floodlight, and the atmos in any of the Spion Kops, could be amazing. 

The play off game v Cambridge being possibly the most memorable of all for me. 

Kids now look at the game and say it’s better and quicker than it was ‘back in the good old days’, but generally, the atmosphere now is tame by comparison.

I genuinely feel it’s a shame that younger fans of football have missed out on this era. For me, it was unsurpassable.

And the 3-3 against Arsenal. 

• Like 1

Great read, and brought back some great memories. 

I always wondered whether we could have stayed there if we turned the pitch round when we built the Carling Stand- we could have moved the pitch away from the east stand and built a new one, extended the double decker and built the north stand up a bit.

It would have still been lopsided, but we could have got a few extra thousand seats in there. We would have had to buy more land for a car park and it would have been a lot of work, but it could have been doable. 

22 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Great read, and brought back some great memories. 

I always wondered whether we could have stayed there if we turned the pitch round when we built the Carling Stand- we could have moved the pitch away from the east stand and built a new one, extended the double decker and built the north stand up a bit.

It would have still been lopsided, but we could have got a few extra thousand seats in there. We would have had to buy more land for a car park and it would have been a lot of work, but it could have been doable. 

Except they wouldn't, couldn't get planning permission.

• Like 1

A great read. Can't remember too much of it because I was young but even with that it's hard to not call Filbert Way our proper home now given we've had more success here now.

But there should be some sort of plaque or museum because the current state of Filbert Street is a disgrace.

Though I always find it sad when I walk past any place where a ground once stood, whether it be Filbert Street or when I lived in Manchester near Maine Road.

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Tigers never had planning issues, funny that.

They aren't surrounded  by housing. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Such a shame that the area is in the state that it’s in. You look at the likes of Sunderland and Middlesbrough, who have nice little estates with roads like midfield drive etc, yet we have this mess. 

What could be done with the remaining “land” Any ideas? Anything that recovers the costs, yet somehow gives the area a level of respect that it deserves. 

Not sure what could be done, but I would love to do something that somehow creates something of respect out of this “land”

”land” just doesn’t does not describe this for what this was to us.

I am deadly serious by the way. I would gladly do something with it if I could think of the right solution for it. I just don’t know what could happen.

ideas? 

Edited by Rob1742