Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WoodyFox

Brendan Rodgers

He is a top manager who I do believe would be an excellent appointment for us BUT he already distanced himself from Arsenal earlier and declared he is staying at Celtic as he couldn't be happier and he has a long career ahead of him and will return to the Premier League one day but not now. 

This is why I still think it was important that the owners came out AFTER the season end and declared their plans for next season, with Puel in charge. That immediately quashes any of this nonsense and prevents any uncertainty that the fans, and more importantly, the players might have.

People will, and have, argued that they did that with a few weeks of the season to go, but I still see huge benefits from a further direct or even indirect statement regarding plans for next season with Puel. There will be non of this uncertainty around and these media stories would have no doubt to pounce on. Sorted.

15 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Have we ever signed an international class full back then sacked the manager shortly after?

Rings a bell for some reason.

Bit of an extreme case though with the whole son scandal thing though.

Puel is clearly playing a big part in the signings so far and even being asked to make statements on new signings with Evans just the other day. 

He's not leaving. 10-15 games into next season would be the earliest departure IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I'll also add that, for example, Mowbray managed Celtic and won nothing before getting sacked. Managing a club that size is not as easy as people make out regardless of how poor the league is.

Mowbray? let's face it, a man who's area of expertise was in pork pies.

so football management was always going to be a  tricky job for him.

3 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

What makes you say you wouldn’t want him here as manager? 

He may be a good Coach but I don't think he's such a good Manager. Look at the money he spent at Liverpool and only Coutino and Can really made it.

Most of the others flopped and moved on. Could you imagine if he spent that much here. He also got lucky in having Suarez at the Club.

I just can't see it happening. Puel was a major reason - if not the major reason - why Pereira joined us.

The Pearson comparison isn't the same. Sure, he signed Fuchs and Okazaki and made Huth a permanent signing, then got the boot. But, he wasn't sacked for footballing reasons.

I can't believe the owners would let Puel bring in one of his old players and then sack him. If they sack him, it's for footballing reasons and surely they'd have done it when the season ended.

Perhaps Rodgers is on the radar if we're absolute dogs**t in October/November.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

...and you know that how?

Rodgers seems the type that demands respect from others, in terms of agreement of given instructions from him and working well together as a team whatever the tactics deployed and who else is playing.

Puel, from what I've heard from both on here and externally, has gained negative feedback from certain players and hence makes to perceive that some of the players have lost the trust of his ideology and not giving their best for the team.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Yes he is a Top Coach his record with young players prove that. Just give him time you haven't seen anything yet. He's had to thread carefully trying not to upset certain players. If given the time he will definitely take us forward.

No we haven't seen anything yet, that's why I'm saying he's not a top coach. It's been poor.

Which young players have improved for us? Gray and Chilwell have gone backwards. Iheanacho had a couple of decent games towards the end but he's been largely doggo as well. He's given other young players the odd game but they've not actually improved since he's been here. Neither has the team in general.

Southampton have a great record of unearthing young talent but they've stuttered in that regard in the last couple of seasons, coinciding with his time there. Maybe that's not his fault, and it might not be his fault our youngsters are crap, but you can't use it to defend him so far.

You're entitled to an opinion but you're basing your opinion on nothing. Since over 90% wanted him out after the West Ham game I'm pretty sure people want him to stay based on the Arsenal victory alone, which is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Rodgers but I just can't see it happening. Puel, like him or loathe him, knows how to build a team and we've started the transfer window as well as anyone. I hope the owners are backing Claude.

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

It’s not about his ability.

It’s that he appears to be an absolutely dreadful human being.

This is such absolute bollocks.  The guy is a gentleman as many Celtic fans will testify.  People make these daft comments when they don't have a bloody clue. As for the rumour - zero chance.  Rodgers is a Celtic fan and wants to stay for a another few seasons.  He's building a decent squad at Celtic and before anybody says anything about how crap Scottish football is I'll say two things: Scottish football gets fraction of the money the Premier League does and Celtic will always be a far far bigger club than Leicester. 

Just to add I've been a Celtic supporter all my life and Leicester supporter for over 30 years (ever since I seen that Keith Weller cracker when I was a kid).  Rodgers would be a fantastic appointment but there is no chance of it happening for the next few seasons.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

He may be a good Coach but I don't think he's such a good Manager. Look at the money he spent at Liverpool and only Coutino and Can really made it.

Most of the others flopped and moved on. Could you imagine if he spent that much here. He also got lucky in having Suarez at the Club.

That's fair in some ways, but his work at Swansea and Liverpool is surely better than Puel's work at Southampton and Leicester.

I don't want Rodgers here as such but comparing him with Puel, Rodgers has clearly been more impressive in England. So you can't back Puel and then say Rodgers would be a poor appointment. It's nonsensical.

1 minute ago, Deebhoy said:

This is such absolute bollocks.  The guy is a gentleman as many Celtic fans will testify.  People make these daft comments when they don't have a bloody clue. As for the rumour - zero chance.  Rodgers is a Celtic fan and wants to stay for a another few seasons.  He's building a decent squad at Celtic and before anybody says anything about how crap Scottish football is I'll say two things: Scottish football gets fraction of the money the Premier League does and Celtic will always be a far far bigger club than Leicester. 

Just to add I've been a Celtic supporter all my life and Leicester supporter for over 30 years (ever since I seen that Keith Weller cracker when I was a kid).  Rodgers would be a fantastic appointment but there is no chance of it happening for the next few seasons.

Oh you're one of those.

• Haha 4

It won't happen, but if it did it'd be disastrous. It's clear that Puel despite the criticism he has received has been using the last 6 months to assess the squad, and is now taking the opportunity to reshape it. Whether the player's bought in so far were his choice or not is irrelevant as they're clearly suited to his style of play which suggests that he has at least had some input into player selection. We simply don't have the time to rip up the blueprint for the new season, draft a new guy in and formulate a new strategy in time for 11th August. To do so would be suicidal, set us back massively, and make next season a very challenging one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

It won't happen, but if it did it'd be disastrous. It's clear that Puel despite the criticism he has received has been using the last 6 months to assess the squad, and is now taking the opportunity to reshape it. Whether the player's bought in so far were his choice or not is irrelevant as they're clearly suited to his style of play which suggests that he has at least had some input into player selection. We simply don't have the time to rip up the blueprint for the new season, draft a new guy in and formulate a new strategy in time for 11th August. To do so would be suicidal, set us back massively, and make next season a very challenging one.

Perhaps sticking with Puel is going to be disastrous! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Deebhoy said:

Haha.

I know how crap Scottish Football is.  I watch plenty of it, living in Glasgow as I do. :rolleyes:

But everything you said negates none of what I did.  You have not engaged with a single point I made.

And all that “Bhoy” patter is the sure sign of a whanker....

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Absolutely right - we try to employ the best person we can .... whether that’s on the pitch or off it (DOF excepted ?)

you dont sack the incumbent manager until you know you can get the better one in. 

And this doesn’t mean I would approve of Rogers being appointed ..... that’s a different debate 

I agree with this, football is a meritocracy and ruthless business.

We wouldn't think twice of getting rid of Kaspar if De Gea wanted to sign for us so I don't think the manager's job should be any different. We're always striving to replace our players with upgrades so managers should be no different.

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

He is a top manager who I do believe would be an excellent appointment for us BUT he already distanced himself from Arsenal earlier and declared he is staying at Celtic as he couldn't be happier and he has a long career ahead of him and will return to the Premier League one day but not now. 

This is why I still think it was important that the owners came out AFTER the season end and declared their plans for next season, with Puel in charge. That immediately quashes any of this nonsense and prevents any uncertainty that the fans, and more importantly, the players might have.

People will, and have, argued that they did that with a few weeks of the season to go, but I still see huge benefits from a further direct or even indirect statement regarding plans for next season with Puel. There will be non of this uncertainty around and these media stories would have no doubt to pounce on. Sorted.

Staying at Celtic is like groundhog season, you don't have to be Nostradamus to predict how Celtic's season will go.

They'll win the SPL at a canter.

They'll win at least one but probably both of the domestic cups.

They'll be out of the Champions League by Christmas and will have done well to be still in the Europa Cup of which a QF spot would be seen as a great success.

At some point that has to be boring for Rodgers and he'll want to fish in deeper waters in the EPL. In today's climate all the EPL teams are bigger than Celtic with bigger budgets and thus can attract better players. No player or manager with ambition and talent wants to stay in the SPL too long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Google “Being Liverpool” “documentary”.  

The envelope scene, like a lot of the rest of it, was utterly cringeworthy and showed a lack of emotional intelligence and empathy that makes you wonder how his mind works. 

The fact that the “Deluded Brendan” account on Twitter got so much traction tells you a lot.

And then there’s his classic midlife cliche from a few years ago.  He lost some weight, got his gnashers fixed up and left his missus and kids to shack up with a younger blonde married employee of Liverpool who also had a kid, whose deserted husband later killed himself.

So yeah, in the likeability stakes, he ain’t uncle Claudio Ranieri.  

Dear oh dear.

I see what you mean.