Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Thoughts on WC 2018 so far?

It's been good. Despite the fact VAR has caused some controversy, so far there hasn't really been any 'dodgy' games, which is a plus. There were far too many at the last World Cup. We haven't seen a great team yet, but we haven't seen many awful games either. I think it will improve during the 2nd lot of group games as teams realise they could go out with a loss or through with a win. Playing for a draw will be less appealing to most teams.

It's funny though, I remember how everyone was going on about how the Brazil World Cup was 'extradordinary', largely due to the group stages having a record amount of goals. But I don't see many people remembering it like that now.

As always, the quality of the knockout stages will decide the legacy of the tournament. Let's hope it's more Mexico 1986 than Brazil 2014.

It's certainly started well. Suspect the struggling big guns from the opening fixtures will 'turn up' for the 2nd round of fixtures but it does feel already that a real big team may be a casualty. Just a matter of which one. Agree with the above poster that the knockout games will decide how it is remembered though.

Edited by Max Wall

One of the better ones in recent times , really helps it being in Europe and decent times of the day for me. Getting up at 5am for a game like Senegal and Poland wouldn't of made me get out of bed but it was actually a great game. 

VAR has been ok like anything will take time but give it a few years and it will be hard to imagine not having it. 

As for England can't knock them at the minute seem, they are a close bunch and have a good team bond. How many other England teams have publicised the lads recovering having unicorn races in the pool! Great to see positivity in the press for a change to! 

Guest seanfox778

I've managed to be able to watch nearly all the games and it's been great, it's so good just having football on all day. I'd like to see someone new lift the trophy this time, I would love to see Colombia do it but am also rooting for Portugal and Belgium. 

Surprisingly entertaining, plenty of goals (anything above the Italia '90 goal average is good enough for me), a few crackers included (Ronaldo, Coutinho, Mertens) and already a couple of minor or major upsets (Russia, Iceland, Mexico, Japan, Senegal).

Looking forward to the rest of the second group stage games.

13 hours ago, Bert said:

So, with everyone now having played their first group game, what are your thoughts so far? 

Personally, this has been my favourite since 2002. Most games have been decent, no goalless draws, penalties galore and a few early shocks along the way. 

Hopefully round 2 delivers the same! 

Couldn't agree more mate. I especially absolute loved watching Columbia v Japan yesterday - what a game.

Fantastic so far. A lot more open than I anticipated and VAR usage has been pretty positive.

Not to go all "yer da", but the only thing winding me up is how easy players are going down at every touch. Mertens did an outrageous dive against Panama and should've been booked after they did the penalty check, but wasn't. If that's the case there's nothing to deter players from trying to win even more penalties.

6 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Would have liked to have seen Italy and Holland featuring at this World Cup, maybe a couple of other teams as well

They are there in nearly every tournament anyway. Not that they'd bring anything different to the table, there's a reason neither qualified.

• Like 1

Been alright. Nothing special. The 2014 group stages were going to be hard to live up to.

The big teams have bumbled along and there has been too many penalties even though VAR seems to have worked.

Today was very enjoyable though. The arrival of the new King of Nigeria Ahmed Musa and a great game between Serbia and Switzerland. Best day of the tournament so far.

Enjoying it a lot, I’ve not been overly impressed with any of the usual favourites, maybe we could be seeing a new name on the trophy....Croatia look good, Belgium have a great side and I enjoyed watching Mexico.

Ronaldo continues to be a fantastic star I just hope we see Messi come to the party in the 3rd group game.

I also think it’s fantastic the amount of Leicester connections in the tournament, Kasper, Nigeria ( really pleased for Musa) Kram, Harry, just need Vardy to get a game.

I've not watched much as I am a shit neutral.

I planned to watch the Leicester world cup but then missed the Portugal Spain game at my son's football presentation, and too many of our boys on the bench in the first round to bother.

Chuck in games during work time and I've not really felt it, but a bit like how close season is more exciting for internet surfing with transfer rumours etc, I'm enjoying the stories.

Iran sounded great when they went a goal down to Spain. The Nigeria group is set for a great finish and really hoping our boys in green finish Argentina.

Saw bits of Denmark Peru and Peru were by far the better team and then the first to be eliminated(?)

And what's not to enjoy seeing Brazil and Germany have a stuttering start (sure they'll both be there in the semis though unless they face each other)

The Ronaldo Messi debate is great. Ronaldo single handedly dragging his team to glory while Messi contributes to Argentina's woes with the penalty.

On top of that, with low expectation for England I find myself rediscovering some passion and hope for England. One of the few times we've won the opener. If only Southgate realised how good vardy is it could be perfect.

Edited by gw_leics772