Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

James Maddison Confirmed

7 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

A strange coincidence. A workmate who is a Grimsby fan is leaving so I've produced for him a P*** taking "Legends of Grimsby" booklet (didn't need many pages). This involved researching Drinkell, prolific scorer for Grimsby from late 70's to mid 80's then Norwich. What I had forgotten was his £650,000 move to Rangers but his appearances there were limited due to the competition in the squad and he ended up at Falkirk. He was also wanted by Fergie at United in his early days there!  And as for Tony Ford I could writeca biograpjy

Brilliant that.

Really don’t know where I plucked Kevin Drinkell from but when I was younger he seemed to score most weeks.

2 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

Brilliant that.

Really don’t know where I plucked Kevin Drinkell from but when I was younger he seemed to score most weeks.

If it weren't for Liverpool fans getting us banned from European competition he would have gone straight from being a Grimsby striker to playing in the UEFA Cup when arriving.... as we'd won the League Cup the year before. 

22 minutes ago, YorkshireYellow said:

Kevin Drinkell became a football agent and is currently a Mercedes Benz salesman.

The late Roy Waller was almost certainly the inspiration behind Alan Partridge! 

His voice has brought the memories flooding back.

As a kid I used to see Norwich all the time.”Big Dave Watson” was a friend of the family and my Aunt and Uncle are still STH.

Yet I still supported Leicester and was never swayed!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

His voice has brought the memories flooding back.

As a kid I used to see Norwich all the time.”Big Dave Watson” was a friend of the family and my Aunt and Uncle are still STH.

Yet I still supported Leicester and was never swayed!

At one point we had Dave Watson and Steve Bruce together at the back, and won the League Cup in 1985 with that pairing. The next season we signed Kevin Drinkell. 

That same side also had Chris Woods in goal, local legend Mark Barham on the wing who won a couple of England caps whilst with us, and Mick Channon and John Deehan up front. 

Think it had 3 players who played for England whilst with us, plus a couple of others who played for England either before or after that spell with us... plus Steve Bruce who is always cited as one of the best never to get a cap.  

1984 to 1994 was really our 'golden era' as a club, with so many top players coming and going, and I sort of hate Liverpool fans a bit for depriving us of European competition 3 times during the 5 year ban for Heysel..... they always have lots to say about Hillsborough and The Sun, but you never hear about Heysel! 

If we'd played in European Competition those three times then who knows where that could have taken us. It would at very least have gotten us more recognition in football for having some sort of history, but could potentially have kept us in the top tier beyond 1995 and into that period where the money got serious and the foreign superstars like Bergkamp arrived. 

Edited by YorkshireYellow
  • Like 4

I know they are only friendly matches but I think this kid is a shoe in for club young player of the year at the very least. Great touch and vision and with a maturity above his age - his decision making is great and it looks like he can run a game. 

The only issue is we look light on players that can support him especially since Riyad has left. In the system Puel plays you need intelligent attacking players who can interchange with one another and who are good decision makers. Liverpool are a great example of making it work with forward players even if their system is different. 

I feel like this is what our season will be defined by. If we get our forwards clicking we could have a great season. But if don’t it will be a frustrating one again. 

I suppose the good news is that we’ve clearly signed a good player here and I think that price tag will justify itself quickly. If anything the real pressure is on Gray / Diabate / Albrighton to pick up where Mahrez left off. Interesting to see we passed on Alireza of Brighton and Elynoussi (?) of Southampton because I’d sure feel a lot more confident with another attacking player brought in, even if these weren’t the guys to go for. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lesterlad said:

Don’t know about anyone else but on today’s performance he reminded me of Mark Draper 

Ahh Mark Draper, the memories. Its like the boyfriend you had and got rid of for a better looking one, but still loved deep down. 

29 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Ahh Mark Draper, the memories. Its like the boyfriend you had and got rid of for a better looking one, but still loved deep down. 

Glad you've finally realised it. What time should I come round?

Front door key still under the flowerpot?

Edited by Max Wall
  • Haha 1

On 22/07/2018 at 01:21, fazzyfox said:

A strange coincidence. A workmate who is a Grimsby fan is leaving so I've produced for him a P*** taking "Legends of Grimsby" booklet (didn't need many pages). This involved researching Drinkell, prolific scorer for Grimsby from late 70's to mid 80's then Norwich. What I had forgotten was his £650,000 move to Rangers but his appearances there were limited due to the competition in the squad and he ended up at Falkirk. He was also wanted by Fergie at United in his early days there!  And as for Tony Ford I could write a biography!

Pretty sure Drinkell played almost every game the season he was at Rangers, did well and won the league/league cup double. I  was at a handful of those games. Souness then did what can only really be described as a 'Souness' and signed Mo Johnstone after Celtic had announced him as their signing and Drinkell was never really going to figure much after that. Think he went back to England for a while before joining Falkirk but I can't remember who he signed for.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Pretty sure Drinkell played almost every game the season he was at Rangers, did well and won the league/league cup double. I  was at a handful of those games. Souness then did what can only really be described as a 'Souness' and signed Mo Johnstone after Celtic had announced him as their signing and Drinkell was never really going to figure much after that. Think he went back to England for a while before joining Falkirk but I can't remember who he signed for.

It was Coventry with a short loan to Birmingham. 

• Like 1

Just looks so classy on the ball and his movement is effortless. Looks like he’s been here for years how often the play goes through him. 

Obviously it’s only pre season so it’s all basically pointless for now but I haven’t been more convicnced or excited about a signing in a while. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This guy is the real deal!

He’s this season’s Maguire. 

I love you Andy King but time to hand over that number ten shirt. A new hero has been born!

Same with Shinji. If Maddison gets injured it would be like Vardy getting injured and us replacing him with Diabate up top 

Just now, Max Power said:

Just looks so classy on the ball and his movement is effortless. Looks like he’s been here for years how often the play goes through him. 

Obviously it’s only pre season so it’s all basically pointless for now but I haven’t been more convicnced or excited about a signing in a while. 

My thoughts too. 

I suspect he'll be bossing it for England in the next world cup.