Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Marvin Plattenhardt

So does anyone know anything about this guy other than the fact he's pretty handy with a dead-ball?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Jose Chilavert could take a decent free-kick, but I wouldn't want him at left-back.

(well, it depends who the alternatives are - if we're talking the tail end of Paul Konchesky's time with us, I might have to think about it...)

53 minutes ago, uamini said:

Just a quick review from someone who gets to watch him play every week...

He's what I'd consider a high-floor/low-ceiling kind of player, meaning you'd be unlikely to get the future Ballon D'Or winner but would get a very servicable left-back.

He's a solid defender, his build-up play is decent but more about avoiding mistakes than being creative and while he's able to get past the defender once he has the ball you're not exactly getting Marcelo. His crosses however are top-notch, just the right amount of speed and a good curve. That makes him a threat when taking corners and free-kicks; he hasn't scored a single goal with a direct free kick this past season though, not sure what went wrong there. His direct free kicks are weird anyway, a lot of them look rather mediocre and then he whips out an occasional fantastic one.

One thing worth noting is that Hertha BSC play a very negative brand of football, they're the kind of team opponents hate to play against but they're not a very proactive side. Plattenhardt mostly has Salomon Kalou playing in front of him as a winger and since Kalou doesn't really excel at taking care of his defensive duties that might force Plattenhardt to stay back more often.

Plattenhardt's performances for the national team have been even weirder. He's never really been disappointing, holding his own defensively against quality opponents like Brazil but whenever Germany attacks his teammates completely ignore him even though he's often wide open. Hummels played left CB against Mexico and didn't send a single pass to him even though they were playing next to each other. 

Overall he'd be an upgrade over Fuchs, especially considering their relative age. The consensus amongst Hertha fans seems to be that it would be painful to see him leave but whenever an English team comes knocking everyone's happy cause it guarantees a big payday for everyone.

That’s well confused me.  Not sure if its a meh or a gerrimin now.

1 hour ago, uamini said:

-snip-

Cool, thanks for the scouting report and welcome to the forums! :)

Not sure how I feel about this - would be useful to have a solid and dependable backup to Chilwell, who has plenty of potential, but has been a little up and down to date (which is to be expected with a young defender, to be fair), but if we're going to bring someone in, particularly for what would probably be a non-trivial sum, I'd kind of want them to bring something new to the side, whether it's potential or otherwise.

6 minutes ago, TeePee said:

Cool, thanks for the scouting report and welcome to the forums! :)

Not sure how I feel about this - would be useful to have a solid and dependable backup to Chilwell, who has plenty of potential, but has been a little up and down to date (which is to be expected with a young defender, to be fair), but if we're going to bring someone in, particularly for what would probably be a non-trivial sum, I'd kind of want them to bring something new to the side, whether it's potential or otherwise.

I think you mean that Chilwell would be a useful backup (though I wouldn't use the term 'solid and dependable' for our Ben) to Plattenhardt!

Edited by Outfox the Fox

8 minutes ago, Outfox the Fox said:

I think you mean that Chilwell would be a useful backup (though I wouldn't use the term 'solid and dependable' for our Ben) to Plattenhardt!

Eh, I still think Chilwell has a lot of upside. He's making mistakes from time to time, but he's still learning (although I do wish someone would get hold of him and tell him to stay on his damned feet a bit more!) - he's only going to improve with game time. I don't see the benefit of signing a player that doesn't seem like a significant and direct upgrade over Chilwell - he's 21, English, knows the club inside out, and has Premier League experience.

Having said that, I've got no objection if we find the right player, but I don't really know who that would be.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, uamini said:

Just a quick review from someone who gets to watch him play every week...

He's what I'd consider a high-floor/low-ceiling kind of player, meaning you'd be unlikely to get the future Ballon D'Or winner but would get a very servicable left-back.

He's a solid defender, his build-up play is decent but more about avoiding mistakes than being creative and while he's able to get past the defender once he has the ball you're not exactly getting Marcelo. His crosses however are top-notch, just the right amount of speed and a good curve. That makes him a threat when taking corners and free-kicks; he hasn't scored a single goal with a direct free kick this past season though, not sure what went wrong there. His direct free kicks are weird anyway, a lot of them look rather mediocre and then he whips out an occasional fantastic one.

One thing worth noting is that Hertha BSC play a very negative brand of football, they're the kind of team opponents hate to play against but they're not a very proactive side. Plattenhardt mostly has Salomon Kalou playing in front of him as a winger and since Kalou doesn't really excel at taking care of his defensive duties that might force Plattenhardt to stay back more often.

Plattenhardt's performances for the national team have been even weirder. He's never really been disappointing, holding his own defensively against quality opponents like Brazil but whenever Germany attacks his teammates completely ignore him even though he's often wide open. Hummels played left CB against Mexico and didn't send a single pass to him even though they were playing next to each other. 

Overall he'd be an upgrade over Fuchs, especially considering their relative age. The consensus amongst Hertha fans seems to be that it would be painful to see him leave but whenever an English team comes knocking everyone's happy cause it guarantees a big payday for everyone.

Him and Vardy will be best mates then, Vardy has the same problem with England!

Also Hummels is obviously Germanys  Dele Ali.

• Haha 1

We seem to be hiring more and more footballers to a similar type.  Do Ms Whelan and our DoF share a secret taste for bodice-rippers ? 

00Vicente.JPG.9455c437dad235a3194ae4029bf8203c.JPG         00Adrien.JPG.ff61bfae60dd30b4773da1ef74089d40.JPG          00Marvin.JPG.47fac92b33bc99d31c3a04f29ff23962.JPG         00Moh.JPG.302437a583afe8a5ce1a46317cdbf7cb.JPG                BR.JPG.6011d2781335b319ace458e05e841aa1.JPG

2017                          2017 (almost)                                      2018?                                      2018?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

In the German press it's being reported that Kroos refused to pass to Plattenhart as he didn't trust him with the ball. His confidence must be shot to pieces. 

Marvin is a good steady player, I’d say a younger Fuchs. Kroos has caused a lot of problems in this recent campaign, there’s a click developing around him which has caused fractions in the German camp. I wouldn’t take notice of what he says, he’s a bit of a bad apple at times. I’d be more than happy to see Marvin here, but I would also like to see Chillwell given more time... as long as he can improve the areas of his game that are lacking, he will develop into a decent player.

Edited by La-li-lu-le-lo
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

In the German press it's being reported that Kroos refused to pass to Plattenhart as he didn't trust him with the ball. His confidence must be shot to pieces. 

Kroos wasn’t exactly trustworthy with the ball aside from that one free kick. 

14 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Marvin is a good steady player, I’d say a younger Fuchs. Kroos has caused a lot of problems in this recent campaign, there’s a click developing around him which has caused fractions in the German camp. I wouldn’t take notice of what he says, he’s a bit of a bad apple at times. I’d be more than happy to see Marvin here, but I would also like to see Chillwell given more time... as long as he can improve the areas of his game that are lacking, he will develop into a decent player.

I don't doubt that at all regarding Kroos. Plattenhardt being subbed at 79 mins and then replaced for the other 2 games is quite telling though. 

4 hours ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

I don't doubt that at all regarding Kroos. Plattenhardt being subbed at 79 mins and then replaced for the other 2 games is quite telling though. 

Would you place that much confidence in the judgement of the German management, though, given their abject performance?

• 3 weeks later...

I've said for a while that if this guy is available now at a reasonable price, get him now and dont wait till next year when Fuchs leaves. If we don't swoop now and he has a good season, bigger clubs will start looking at him. If we get him now we either see if Fuchs wants to leave by mutual consent (not paying him though) or loan out Chilwell to either a bottom half prem team/top championship team. Chilwell has alot potential and will be a huge player for us but im not sure he can be our regular left back just yet as he has alot of leaving to do. Defensively he is still a bit weak. If we do get Plattenhardt then loaning Chilly would be the best option so he gets regular game time. 

• Like 1