Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Pedantry Central

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

People putting "Central" after everything.

Like central this central Jon central?

I think you're in the wrong thread - that's what grinds your gears, no? (central)

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

So many but those that spring to mind are:-

'Straight the way'

People misusing the word literally.

Also, one that is acceptable but still bothers me is when people spell 'swap' as 'swop'.  

Since somebody pointed out on here I've noticed I say "straight the way" but I think it's purely a Leicester expression and therefore I quite like it.

6 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Since somebody pointed out on here I've noticed I say "straight the way" but I think it's purely a Leicester expression and therefore I quite like it.

'It's ok, I'm from Leicester' is not a valid excuse for being a moron.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Well no it isn't but our accent is fairly non-descript, but dialects (Leicester doesn't really have one) don't mean people are morons. Are Geordies morons because they speak in non standard English?

3 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Well no it isn't but our accent is fairly non-descript, but dialects (Leicester doesn't really have one) don't mean people are morons. Are Geordies morons because they speak in non standard English?

In speech it is less unacceptable - when it is written, it is not.

And the word you want is 'doesn't'. :D

Edited by Buce

8 minutes ago, Buce said:

One of the smartest people I know regularly says pacifically to be perfectly honest. 

He wouldn't write it and if I challenged him on it he'd be well aware it's wrong but he'd still keep doing it subconsciously. 

As much as it annoys me, it's nothing to do with his intelligence, it's just how he's been brought up speaking. 

I occasionally find myself saying "over by here" when I just mean "over here", the fact it's 'wrong' is irrelevant, it's just a Welshism I've not completely shaken. 

Edited by Finnegan

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

One of the smartest people I know regularly says pacifically to be perfectly honest. 

He wouldn't write it and if I challenged him on it he'd be well aware it's wrong but he'd still keep doing it subconsciously. 

As much as it annoys me, it's nothing to do with his intelligence, it's just how he's been brought up speaking. 

As I pointed out to Wookie, writing it is when it becomes moronic, and your friend doesn't.

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Oh yeah, the amount of bad spelling involving Leicester players is ridiculous. "McGuire", "Linekar", etc. Unforgivable.

I tend to find some people take the easy option with a difficult to spell player surname and just go with Kasper, Nacho or Wilf instead for example. Lazy and unacceptable behaviour really...

41 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I occasionally find myself saying "over by here" when I just mean "over here", the fact it's 'wrong' is irrelevant, it's just a Welshism I've not completely shaken. 

I don't think it is a question of intelligence.  I have met lots of intelligent people who are strangers to grammar and spelling.  It's just that for me, I can't walk past a misplaced apostrophe without it making my teeth itch.  I wish I could.  Get 'their' and 'there' wrong and it will ruin my weekend!  Sometimes I'll correct it even though I know I'm being a massive dick. :)

Edited by murphy

12 minutes ago, murphy said:

I don't think it is a question of intelligence.  I have met lots of intelligent people who are strangers to grammar and spelling.  It's just that for me, I can't walk past a misplaced apostrophe without it making my teeth itch.  I wish I could.  Get 'their' and 'there' wrong and it will ruin my weekend!  Sometimes I'll correct it even though I know I'm being a massive dick. :)

Heck yes.

My missus has three degrees (not The Three Degrees as far as I know) but can she use 'was' and 'were' correctly?

The answer is 'no'