Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Pedantry Central

2 hours ago, Buce said:

In speech it is less unacceptable - when it is written, it is not.

And the word you want is 'doesn't'. :D

I agree, when written it's moronic but spoken language and written are so different. I didn't notice I'd written "don't" and not "doesn't", that's fair enough lol.

Edited by Wookie
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, surrifox said:

Myself/ yourself abuse . I was asked by a shop assistant recently "how can myself help yourself today?" ( I'm sorry but that barely passes for a sentence in the English language .)

That's language 101 - absolutely in the bin.

17 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Myself/ yourself abuse . I was asked by a shop assistant recently "how can myself help yourself today?" ( I'm sorry but that barely passes for a sentence in the English language .)

I hope this shop assistant wasn't a native English-speaker. That's atrocious!

We've had the superfluous 'at all' on the end of questions before, haven't we?

"Is Simon there at all?" I don't know if that's supposed to prompt a response other than 'yes' or 'no', and if so, what could it be?

'Yes, Simon is here, but he's sadly just fallen into a diabetic coma'.

'Simon is here but in the midst of an existential crisis and doesn't know if he's here or not'.

'There is an effigy of Simon here that he made of balloons and sponge fingers in an effort to hide the fact that he's gone down the bookies, so sort of'.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

We've had the superfluous 'at all' on the end of questions before, haven't we?

"Is Simon there at all?" I don't know if that's supposed to prompt a response other than 'yes' or 'no', and if so, what could it be?

'Yes, Simon is here, but he's sadly just fallen into a diabetic coma'.

'Simon is here but in the midst of an existential crisis and doesn't know if he's here or not'.

'There is an effigy of Simon here that he made of balloons and sponge fingers in an effort to hide the fact that he's gone down the bookies, so sort of'.

This genuinely made me laugh. 

9 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

This genuinely made me laugh. 

Well it IS pretty pedantic.

Do we think it's reasonable to pull folk up on stuff like this?

Many moons ago when I managed a team I encouraged them to drop the 'at all' when speaking on the phone because asking the question like that just makes you sound tentative and that you're making a really simple question longer than it should be. Did they listen to me? A bit

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well it IS pretty pedantic.

Do we think it's reasonable to pull folk up on stuff like this?

Many moons ago when I managed a team I encouraged them to drop the 'at all' when speaking on the phone because asking the question like that just makes you sound tentative and that you're making a really simple question longer than it should be. Did they listen to me? A bit

Did they take any notice at all?

Excetera

Expresso

And when thick people say "obviously" or "know what I mean" as if that puts them in the driving seat of the conversation somehow. You'll never hear an intelligent person overuse those two, or describe a conversation between two people whereby each person has to "turn around" before they say something like fvcking Columbo

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1