Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Pedantry Central

6 hours ago, Wookie said:

Well no it isn't but our accent is fairly non-descript, but dialects (Leicester doesn't really have one) don't mean people are morons. Are Geordies morons because they speak in non standard English?

I'm going to go with yes, yes they are, for that reason (and more)

• Like 1

People who, when asked a question, start it with "so".

It's either an adverb, "she's so pretty", or it's a conjunction, in which case you need something to connect to, you can't start a sentence with it!  Watch any game show and practically every contestant, when ask what they do or where they live will say, "So, I..." :angry:

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Have to say though I don't like people writing in full, grammatically-correct sentences on the internet. Kind of passive aggressive, need a bit of ellipsis in there. 

No worries, Bovvers, you won't see any of that on here...

9 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Three of my favourites:

"Jesus wet!"

"Swinging the leg" (apparently complete with visual demonstration)

"Part of the parcel"

lol what is this meant to be, ive never heard it

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Babylon said:

How do people get this wrong, it blows my mind.

I don't know but would love to go for a swim in the specific coast.

I will admit that grammar, punctuation and spelling isn't my strong suit but i will computate the shite out of statistics, math and computer coding/database  tasks.  Can't  win them all :(

Edited by Jattdogg

I can't believe this thread made it this far without "less" / "fewer" being raised.

I am an utterly annoying pedant on this one.

I know my pedantry on this is not proportionate to the linguistic damage done when people say "less houses", and so on, but it really rips my knitting.

My wife, having become aware of my affliction, now throws the odd incorrect one in on purpose, just to wind me up.

My boss, who is an otherwise likeable and intelligent bloke, is a persistent offender.

When we are on a conference call and he says something like "He will work less hours" or "They now have less cars than they used to have", I have to stop myself blurting out, Tourettes-style, "FEWER".

My mind can't then concentrate on whatever point was being made.

I have a problem.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I can't believe this thread made it this far without "less" / "fewer" being raised.

I am an utterly annoying pedant on this one.

I know my pedantry on this is not proportionate to the linguistic damage done when people say "less houses", and so on, but it really rips my knitting.

My wife, having become aware of my affliction, now throws the odd incorrect one in on purpose, just to wind me up.

My boss, who is an otherwise likeable and intelligent bloke, is a persistent offender.

When we are on a conference call and he says something like "He will work less hours" or "They now have less cars than they used to have", I have to stop myself blurting out, Tourettes-style, "FEWER".

My mind can't then concentrate on whatever point was being made.

I have a problem.  

I agree - I really wish people would do it fewer...

(rips my knitting - class)

12 hours ago, ketteringscott said:

It drives me mad when people write "can't be asked". I can't work out what they think it means

My Mrs does this and it bugs me every time so I ask her to do what she "can't be asked" to do then say I just Fvcking asked you so you can. She refuses to say arsed. 15 years and she still does it, but I think she's doing it now just to annoy me. 

• Haha 1