Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Pedantry Central

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Ok, I'm going adhere to the theme of the thread here and point out a couple of things. :D

Firstly, being extremely pedantic, it doesn't describe a person at all - it describes an action.

Secondly, it refers to the act of malingering, not laziness per se (ie. "he hasn't got a bad back at all, he's swinging the lead")

And thirdly, and most interesting, is that the etymology is uncertain and may actually be an old army term which has been corrupted from swinging the leg, after all.

To explain: The most commonly accepted belief is that swinging the lead is a naval term, as CF said, which literally describes the action of swinging a lead weight attached to a length of rope. Before the days of sonar, this was how sailors gauged the depth of the water around the ship. It was a boring and repetitive task that required hard work constantly lifting the heavy weight, and the suggestion is that unless supervised by an officer, some sailors would just idly swing the lead on its rope without actually performing the task. Because this would more accurately describe a lazy action, rather than one of malingering, some scholars favour the belief that its etymology comes from the act of soldiers literally swinging the leg (ie walking with a pronounced stiffness to one leg) to feign injury and thus avoid duties. It's also worth pointing out that the phrase didn't enter the English language until the early 20th century (its first recorded use was 1917) long after the days of sail, and that it first did so among soldiers, not sailors, although It's possible that the phrase was coined by soldiers in allusion to a supposed form of malingering by sailors.

You're welcome. :D

Did you almost ejaculate at the end of that? Lol 

16 hours ago, bovril said:

It's not really. I think it's The Ukraine because the name comes from the Russian for "the border".

Well no, if you are going to historical namings... England = The "Angles Land"

Therefore should we refer to it as The England?

Ukraine is the name of a country.

On 23/06/2018 at 01:18, ozleicester said:

"the" Ukraine.

No! its like saying......... The England

Might have been picked up on this by Nicky Campbell on 5Live while in “The Ukraine” before.

Asking people to enter their PIN number is an interesting one, I’m well aware the N stands for number so you are actually saying it twice but still bloody do it.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Might have been picked up on this by Nicky Campbell on 5Live while in “The Ukraine” before.

Asking people to enter their PIN number is an interesting one, I’m well aware the N stands for number so you are actually saying it twice but still bloody do it.

I found i had to train myself to ask for pin "code" lol its probably incorrect but....

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

I used to do PAT Testing. PAT stands for "Portable Appliance Testing" so I did portable appliance testing testing

42 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm starting to feel guilty for unleashing this thread now... lol

29 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I think you've given a lot of folk a great opportunity to unburden themselves of a lot of pent up issues.

Or just made everyone even more furious

I think it will turn out to be useful - instead of people correcting individual posts, they can come on here and moan about it, which makes it less personal and confrontational.

• Like 1

It's my current favourite thread. Most of the things I would have said have already been mentioned, but I have a couple more. Sat and sitting winds me up, nobody ever seems to be sitting anymore, they've all been sat down by someone else. Also, the shift towards people saying 'can I get' instead of 'Can I have' 

7 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

"For the sake of auld lang syne." 

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

People who ask "do you want to [...]?" when asking you to do a thing that nobody wants to do.

Indeed - my Mum used to ask me 'would you like to do the washing up, John?'

You can probably guess my various responses to that.

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

It's my current favourite thread. Most of the things I would have said have already been mentioned, but I have a couple more. Sat and sitting winds me up, nobody ever seems to be sitting anymore, they've all been sat down by someone else. Also, the shift towards people saying 'can I get' instead of 'Can I have' 

This particularly winds me up. If someone asks "can I get", it's essentially asking if they can help themselves to whatever it is they're asking for. Fecking Americanisms

10 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

a) That's not pedantry

b) I think I know my own name

c) I also know why you think you're right

d) You're still wrong

Well done Peaky ...   keep them in check and don’t let the thread standards drop ! ..   :thumbup:

Carry on.

48 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

People who ask "do you want to [...]?" when asking you to do a thing that nobody wants to do.

Do you want to explain that?

45 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Indeed - my Mum used to ask me 'would you like to do the washing up, John?'

You can probably guess my various responses to that.

She doesn't know you're called Peaky?

What kind of mother is she?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1