Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Pedantry Central

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Lymes disease ...   no, it’s fookin LYME disease !!  ....   I should know, I’ve got it ...

Kinell, CF, that's not trivial.

I assume you're being treated?

Just now, Buce said:

Kinell, CF, that's not trivial.

I assume you're being treated?

I’m fine thanks Bucey ..  caught Bambis revenge a few years ago and took anti biotics for a month so hopefully it was zapped ...   still stays in your blood mind.   Anyway ...   let’s not derail Peakys thread !!   ....    :)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I’m fine thanks Bucey ..  caught Bambis revenge a few years ago and took anti biotics for a month so hopefully it was zapped ...   still stays in your blood mind.   Anyway ...   let’s not derail Peakys thread !!   ....    :)

Peaky's thread, PLEASE! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

It's happened to me, HPF. I've said something remarkably funny and perceptive and, three weeks later, heard a listener-in to the conversation claim they said it! Just try to be content with having begun it, suppress ego and marvel at the bizarre processes of the human mind.

I’m pretty sure Peaky was responding to the absent apostrophe. 

21 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Peaky's thread, PLEASE! 

A Doug is, according to the Urban Dictionary, a term of abuse. So brave of the name-caller, who fails to explain a) what I've done to warrant the specific abuse, b) doesn't even have the balls to use the word he actually means, and c) feels the need to pollute this thread with it.

31 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

Thank you. I was overtaken by enthusiasm and the absence of my spectacles (or 'reading irons' - as we in the Wild West called them) - d'oh! :blush:

No worries.

I think we can all agree that Peaky has played a blinder...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

I think antibiotics is now perfectly acceptable or anti-biotics...at a push. Or was it just a spelling error? Just saying :blush:.

My spell checker is on holiday in Ireland so I'm just blundering along on my own till she gets back ...   :)

For me, it's got to be the use of two dot ellipses. Unless you're a computer programmer, stop this immediately. Or even worse is the people who just go mental and stick loads of dots in for.............. No good reason. 

(Interestingly enough, the two dot is used throughout some published copies of the OED but it's literally a space saving device and should have no place in ordinary writing)

Or a space before a comma. (like this , for example) Not only is it all kinds of wrong grammatically, but it just looks so nasty.

Lad at work has so many we should write them down.

we call them robisms.

Asked me One Xmas if he could go to his daughters ACTIVITY play.

Every week talking about football.

“we’ll win them”

” it’s not far as the crow WALKS”

”He was as white as a sheep”

• Haha 2

On 23/06/2018 at 14:32, Vacamion said:

I can't believe this thread made it this far without "less" / "fewer" being raised.

I am an utterly annoying pedant on this one.

I know my pedantry on this is not proportionate to the linguistic damage done when people say "less houses", and so on, but it really rips my knitting.

My wife, having become aware of my affliction, now throws the odd incorrect one in on purpose, just to wind me up.

My boss, who is an otherwise likeable and intelligent bloke, is a persistent offender.

When we are on a conference call and he says something like "He will work less hours" or "They now have less cars than they used to have", I have to stop myself blurting out, Tourettes-style, "FEWER".

My mind can't then concentrate on whatever point was being made.

I have a problem.  

Image may contain: 1 person, suit and text

• Haha 4

If something is 'six of one or half a dozen of the other', it's sometimes also known as 'swings and roundabouts'.

My missus always calls it 'roundabouts and swings' for some reason and it just sounds all wrong.

I know it's all swings and roundabouts at the end of the day but get it right FFS will you?

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

If something is 'six of one or half a dozen of the other', it's sometimes also known as 'swings and roundabouts'.

My missus always calls it 'roundabouts and swings' for some reason and it just sounds all wrong.

I know it's all swings and roundabouts at the end of the day but get it right FFS will you?

Im my lazy moments i use... "Meh, It's six and two threes".

Drives the lovely Mrs Oz nuts :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think this is super pedantic, but given that nobody ever calls a male nurse a 'man nurse', I think that it's linguistically crap to refer to a female professional as a 'woman doctor / prime minister / whatever it might be'. 

No, them call them male nurses. :D 

• Like 1

On 24/06/2018 at 11:51, Countryfox said:

Without wanting to derail the thread, I was listening to 5 live this morning and they were talking about Lyme disease.

Sounds fvcking horrendous mate and some of the stories were heart breaking. There was a lot of frustration that the NHS can't/won't treat/recognise it and people were having to go abroad.

Scary stuff, hope you're O.K. and it's under control CF :fc: 

Edited by Izzy Muzzett

I'm conflicted with this thread - I'm a self certified pain in the backside pedant...but I also marvel at how our language evolves.

There really isn't a right or wrong way of communicating, if the recipient understands the message being communicated. 

Saying that, people who text and claim to be 'on route' instead of 'en route' really boil my piss.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Without wanting to derail the thread, I was listening to 5 live this morning and they were talking about Lyme disease.

Sounds fvcking horrendous mate and some of the stories were heart breaking. There was a lot of frustration that the NHS can't/won't treat/recognise it and people were having to go abroad.

Scar stuff, hope you're O.K. and it's under control CF :fc: 

It’s on the increase Muzzett and anyone wandering through a wood/forest can get it ...   I’ve been meaning to do a thread about it giving some practical advice, which I don’t think you get over the internet ...   if it stops just one person ending up in a wheelchair then it’s a job well done ...   :thumbup:

• Like 2