Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

2018 World Cup Knockout Stages

So, with the group stages slowly, but steadily coming to an end, this is how it is shaping up right now:

Uruguay vs. Portugal

Spain vs. Russia

France vs. Argentina

Croatia vs. Denmark

Brazil/Switzerland vs. Mexico/Germany (likely)

England/Belgium vs. Japan/Senegal/Colombia

UPDATED

Edited by MC Prussian

Let's face it, neither half of the draw would be a cakewalk but, had Portugal won, the top half was starting to look like it would be full of heavyweights. Not guaranteed but it could have had France, Uruguay, Spain, Brazil, Belgium and Germany. Now, it could be those teams less Spain but plus Portugal.

Given the juggernaut's struggles, maybe being in that half wouldn't be a nightmare but the bottom section could include Croatia, Russia, Switzerland, Mexico, England, Senegal and Denmark. Each and every one of those teams would fancy themselves in that company.

Spain now add a little extra class to the bottom half but each of their three games show they can be got at.

The Belgium game was always going to be significant in some way, it's starting to take on even more significance now. 

I get the wins breed confidence thing but, if the draw turns out as above, I'd be desperate to be in the bottom half.

Ok, didn't help us at the Euro's getting a lesser team but I'd still rather be 2nd in the group.i

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1

Agree with you @Max Wall although it’s very possible Brazil could drop into the lower half of the draw as Serbia are no mugs, even if they do beat them the Swiss could hammer Costa Rica and still finish top on GD. The ref basically  fvcked almost the perfect route to the final for England with that penalty decision against Portugal (if we finished 2nd) - it could’ve been something like Japan, Mexico and then Portugal/Croatia in the semi’s. To do that now Brazil would have to finish 2nd and Germany top their group and of course England top their group. Still possible although not likely as I cant see Sweden beating Mexico. My preference would be to beat Belgium carry on the momentum and avoid the half that Spain are in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psychonaut said:

Agree with you @Max Wall although it’s very possible Brazil could drop into the lower half of the draw as Serbia are no mugs, even if they do beat them the Swiss could hammer Costa Rica and still finish top on GD. The ref basically  fvcked almost the perfect route to the final for England with that penalty decision against Portugal (if we finished 2nd) - it could’ve been something like Japan, Mexico and then Portugal/Croatia in the semi’s. To do that now Brazil would have to finish 2nd and Germany top their group and of course England top their group. Still possible although not likely as I cant see Sweden beating Mexico. My preference would be to beat Belgium carry on the momentum and avoid the half that Spain are in. 

After tonight's results, I could lean towards this more. I actually expected Portugal to top their group before the games began and boy were they close to doing that. I still think the bottom half (assuming Mexico win their group) would be the place to be. Spain are obvious dangers but they couldn't play a group G team until the semi. I'd have snapped your arm off for a semi final before the tournament and I still would. Unfortunately, it's still all conjecture until the groups finish. Whoever England play, I still think winning one knockout game would be a decent achievement for this squad, winning two would be phenomenal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

We're heading for a Europe-South America only KO party.

Nope.

Mexico will be there unless they lose to Sweden, the Germans win & Mexico go out on goal difference or whatever.

Senegal or Japan will definitely be there - and both might be, if Colombia don't beat Senegal & Poland don't beat Japan.

Between 1 and 3 non-Eur/SA nations will be at the KO party. 

Mods, feel free to move this post to the pedantry thread. :whistle:

29 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Nope.

Mexico will be there unless they lose to Sweden, the Germans win & Mexico go out on goal difference or whatever.

Senegal or Japan will definitely be there - and both might be, if Colombia don't beat Senegal & Poland don't beat Japan.

Between 1 and 3 non-Eur/SA nations will be at the KO party. 

Mods, feel free to move this post to the pedantry thread. :whistle:

I didn't say we're there yet, but you cannot deny that we're headed that way.

Mods, feel free to move this post to the pedantry thread. :whistle:

44 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I didn't say we're there yet, but you cannot deny that we're headed that way.

Mods, feel free to move this post to the pedantry thread. :whistle:

We might be headed that way by the quarter-finals (or might not), but not by the last 16......1-3 non-Eur/SA nations at the FIRST KO party.

Right, I'm all pedanted out! :D

Uruguay vs. Portugal

Spain vs. Russia

France vs. Argentina

Croatia vs. Denmark

Brazil vs. Mexico

Sweden vs. Switzerland

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

If we finish 2nd who are likely opponents in the semis?

So if we finish 2nd, I believe we'd have to play Sweden or Switzerland in the quarters if we got past the last 16.

I THINK, the semis would be one from

Spain

Russia

Croatia

Denmark

I could be wrong though

In a nutshell, Id be surprised if we go for it tomorrow.  Never want England to lose in a world cup but id not be downhearted one iota if we lost tomorrow.

Edited by kristianity77

47 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Germans gone, France or Argentina will also go, I’m getting a little excited ? 

One of Portugal and Uruguay gone in the next round too. 

This is the 11th World cup I've watched and I've never seen one looking so open.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Totally agree @Max Wall 

Bloody hell Bob. I've been 'beaten down' by England so many times over the years I thought I'd learned not to get carried away.

In all honesty, I have learned, but, if you can't get excited at this moment in time, what's the point? So rare to see all of the superpowers of football looking so lacklustre.

I'm just hoping for at least one knock out win. The joy of that is always incredible. Anything after that would be a bonus.

Having said that, you have to dare to dream......................

Edited by Max Wall
Pedantry
  • Like 1