Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

Brazil v Belgium Quarter Final match thread

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I hate to say it but Belgium have been the best team in this tournament so far. Seriously don't want them to win the WC but I fancy their chances against Brazil.

My immediate reaction was to say Belgium definitely haven't been the best team in the tournament but then I couldn't necessarily name a team who've stood out as much better. France might edge it after the Argentina game perhaps. 

I think Belgium and Brazil have both been underwhelming in a tournament that has seen almost no "big" team actually reach their heights. Even going back to qualifying, you look at the state of Italy, Netherlands, Chile, etc. Its been an odd tournament. 

Good, but odd. 

You could flip a coin for this one. Whoever wants it more on the day, they both have players that can win a game with a bit of genius and they both have players that will sulk off and hide if they aren't in the mood. 

Brazil have looked like fairly consistent plodders and maybe that's the approach tbh. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I hate to say it but Belgium have been the best team in this tournament so far. Seriously don't want them to win the WC but I fancy their chances against Brazil.

I think Belgium will win this game but I hope Brazil turn it on and beat them

a World Cup isn’t a proper World Cup until Brazil show what they can do

(and then lose to England in the final obvs :englandsmile4wf:)

I still don't know what to make of Belgium. They put Panama and Tunisia to the sword (although they probably had a slightly easier game against Tunisia as they couldn't sit as deep as they did against us), the result against us was largely meaningless as neither side played anything remotely resembling their first XI, then there was... whatever the hell that was against Japan. They looked a bit laboured but alright in the first half in the face of a lot of Japanese pressing and energy, went to pieces for 20 minutes in the second half, and then suddenly played like world beaters in the last 25 minutes (admittedly against a rapidly tiring Japanese side that had never even seen a creature like Fellaini, let alone have any idea of how to deal with him on crosses).

The worry I have for Belgium is that Brazil are probably the best matchup for them in that side of the draw. If they get past them (which is absolutely plausible), I think the French will overpower them, and the Uruguayans will grind them down and suffocate them. The fact they have Martinez looking after their tactics doesn't help them much either.

13 hours ago, Finnegan said:

My immediate reaction was to say Belgium definitely haven't been the best team in the tournament but then I couldn't necessarily name a team who've stood out as much better. France might edge it after the Argentina game perhaps. 

I think Belgium and Brazil have both been underwhelming in a tournament that has seen almost no "big" team actually reach their heights. Even going back to qualifying, you look at the state of Italy, Netherlands, Chile, etc. Its been an odd tournament. 

Good, but odd. 

You could flip a coin for this one. Whoever wants it more on the day, they both have players that can win a game with a bit of genius and they both have players that will sulk off and hide if they aren't in the mood. 

Brazil have looked like fairly consistent plodders and maybe that's the approach tbh. 

Agree with every point there.

Think Brazil have been very mediocre and Neymar has been like a carefully crafted joke. Lots of talent in the side but they are now more Maldini than Zico.

Belgium have a hugely gifted first eleven, but Japan very nearly did them.

would love to see a classic but doubt we will. Probably go to extra time. Belgium will probably stumble over the line, just.

I seriously think you guys are overrating Belgium. They conceded two against a mediocre Tunisia side and a motivated but mediocre Japan side and I think that will be their undoing. Brazil look defensively sound and can score goals. The game against Switzerland is more of an indication of the team starting the tournament slowly rather than them actually not being that great. since then they have scored 6 goals and conceded 1.

I think people want Belgium to win because Neymar is on the floor a lot and does a lot of play acting.

This game has 2-0 Brazil all over it. Belgium will huff and puff and fail at the end.

Edited by TheHitman™

14 hours ago, TeePee said:

I still don't know what to make of Belgium. They put Panama and Tunisia to the sword (although they probably had a slightly easier game against Tunisia as they couldn't sit as deep as they did against us), the result against us was largely meaningless as neither side played anything remotely resembling their first XI, then there was... whatever the hell that was against Japan. They looked a bit laboured but alright in the first half in the face of a lot of Japanese pressing and energy, went to pieces for 20 minutes in the second half, and then suddenly played like world beaters in the last 25 minutes (admittedly against a rapidly tiring Japanese side that had never even seen a creature like Fellaini, let alone have any idea of how to deal with him on crosses).

The worry I have for Belgium is that Brazil are probably the best matchup for them in that side of the draw. If they get past them (which is absolutely plausible), I think the French will overpower them, and the Uruguayans will grind them down and suffocate them. The fact they have Martinez looking after their tactics doesn't help them much either.

This is the point where someone photoshops an afro and Belgian shirt onto Godzilla isn't it?

• Haha 2

Brazil have been the best team of this tournament.

They are the blend of very solid and the back, mixed with threat going forwards. Theyre going about their business winning matches with a minimum of fuss and always give the impression they have an extra gear to move into.

The idea Belgium are the best side so far in the tournament? Came through a weak group and beat England with both teams making changes so cant read into that, plus surviving a real scare vs Japan. Team is not solid and despite good individual talent, doesn't look as cohesive as other teams.

Brazil will qualify, but it may need extra time or pens despite them being the better team in normal time.

• Like 2

This could be a stinker or a classic. 

Personally think Belgium could get ripped apart by a certain team. Their set up is so lob sided and they have less of a midfield than England.

Brazil have been really clever after their first two group games, they really take advantage of the opposition in spells. 

People think this Brazil side isn't convincing because it doesn't play like a Vintage Brazilian side but they have the look of a team that hasn't gone through all of the gears. I could see this being good because I think Brazil will have to go through all of the gears to win this one.

3 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

It could be the other way round. 

No its definitely the other way around, as was posted.

People are judging Brazil on the stereotype of samba football, but this team are very efficient, very solid, and very good in all areas.

Not to say Belgium couldn't win, but Brazil are the most complete outfit in the tournament.

• Like 1