Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Croatia V England Semi Final Wednesday 11th July 19:00 KO

1 minute ago, Kitchandro said:

Sterling and Alli have been poor and no amount of national euphoria or bias can change that fact. In fact, England have been largely poor, bar the 2nd half yesterday and against Panama.

I make them marginal favourites against Croatia but they can’t afford the lack of guile and ruthlessness we’ve seen in previous games, and even more so if they reach the final against one of 2 teams who are clearly superior.

Vardy must start if fit. Sterling and even more Alli (goal aside he was dreadful again yesterday) have not earned their place (in Alli’s case even his club form has been poor) and that is unacceptable regardless of the overall result.

This is the World Cup, serious business, but it’s still ‘jobs for the boys’.

In the end this is what could cost us

3 minutes ago, TeePee said:

Honestly, after the train wreck that was Martin Keown on commentary yesterday (even the good lady, who's a lifelong gooner was getting wound up by him), I'd be willing to risk it with ITV. If you can mentally filter out the pro-spurs propaganda, Hoddle does have some really good insight to offer. 

It’s not just the pro-Spurs propaganda, it’s the constant pro-England bias as well, it’s vomit inducing.

But I agree, BBC were no better yesterday, though Guy Mowbray was the worst culprit.

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

As much as I don't rate him he done well yesterday but still not convinced... I think we should just keep him in there now though and just hope he can take at least one of the chances he gets

That's my stance as well, to be honest. He's not in good nick at the moment, but he's trying, and even putting to one side the two big chances yesterday, there were a couple of others where things could easily have gone his way (the chance at the back post where the defender somehow cut the ball out without putting it in his own net), but when you're not in form, that's what happens - I remember Vards had a run like that the middle of last season. 

If we had a genuine, nailed-on better option, I'd go with it, but I don't feel like Rashford is it - he could turn up and look like a worldbeater, but he could also do absolutely sod all, and I wouldn't want to risk out best chance of a WC final since '66 on a coin flip. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Thought that Sterling was far more effective than Alli. Sure, Alli scored the goal, but first half he was so off the pace it was unreal. 

Sterling creates space for other players and this is crucial at this level.

This.  It is unreal how much abuse Sterling get on social media while Alli get away almost scot free. 

Besides do people really want to drop Sterling (and Young for Rose in some cases) and risk disrupting a winning team with some belief that we have not seen in an England team for very long time?   We have momentum on our side so let not disrupt that.   

• Like 3

I definitely don't understand the 'drop Young for Rose' argument. Young hasn't really put a foot wrong imo (apart from his need to cut back onto his right almost every time), whereas Rose was arguably at fault for the Januzaj goal against Belgium by allowing him to cut back in and shoot on his preferred foot. 

Edited by TeePee
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Surely games of this magnitude should be on both channels, or at the very least given to the BBC? Even in 2006 they said if we reached the semis it would be on both channels.

Well I'm confused because according to my Virgin TV Guide the Belgium game on Tuesday is on ITV and the England game on Wednesday is on BBC as I've set it up to record and yet all over the web is saying ITV.?

WRT the match...well, given how Croatia have had to come through two periods of ET and two shootouts already and looked out on their feet, the way the draw has opened up, and our own performance against Sweden...then quite frankly there really isn't a better chance that I can remember - and very few that could be contrived - for us to get to the final. 

45 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Sterling and Alli have been poor and no amount of national euphoria or bias can change that fact. In fact, England have been largely poor, bar the 2nd half yesterday and against Panama.

I make them marginal favourites against Croatia but they can’t afford the lack of guile and ruthlessness we’ve seen in previous games, and even more so if they reach the final against one of 2 teams who are clearly superior.

Vardy must start if fit. Sterling and even more Alli (goal aside he was dreadful again yesterday) have not earned their place (in Alli’s case even his club form has been poor) and that is unacceptable regardless of the overall result.

This is the World Cup, serious business, but it’s still ‘jobs for the boys’.

you genuinely amaze me with your football knowledge. it’s unbelievable that someone can know so little about something they talk so much about. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

you genuinely amaze me with your football knowledge. it’s unbelievable that someone can know so little about something they talk so much about. 

You think on a whole that Alli has played well this tournament? lol

7 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

not really no. he’s been injured. 

So despite getting to the semi final you don't think replacing an out of form half fit player might improve the team even more?

Although his fitness isn't the reason. He's been poor for Spurs, and he picked up after his goal yesterday, so it looks more like he's just not into it rather than really injured.

Edited by Facecloth

As someone who's been shouting at the TV to tell Southgate to replace Ali  thought he looked a different player after he scored so much more confident so I would see how he goes. Obviously Southgate and his team will have a much better view as to whether that is the case.

3 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

well he’s obviously fit now and he scored yesterday. 

replacing alli with vardy is like when you do an online shop and they replace toilet rolls with bread rolls. the most ludicrous thing i’ve ever heard. have either of you ever watched a game of football in your life? they couldn’t be much more different as players, so unless you’re going to rip up the best performing england team in most of our lifetimes and start again with a completely new system i think you’re an idiot. that’s all. 

Did I say replace him with Vardy? I don't think Kitchandro did either. He suggested Vardy starting but didn't directly suggest a player to replace but had just written about Sterling. I never mention Vardy. Lotus-cheek needs to replace Alli. I know you're excited but learn to read. 

6 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

just genuinely can’t believe that as leicester fans who lived through that 15/16 season people can’t appreciate the importance of the team over the players. 

we had players like albrighton and shinji who played nearly every game as attackers and scored like once each all season. but what they brought out of the other players and how they fitted into the 11 meant it would’ve been impossible to win anything without them. 

and also the fact that we didn’t change a winning team in about 30 games. everything about this england squad has huge resemblance to that city team and people seem to think we should sacrifice the whole system because sterling missed a good chance yesterday? 

be arsed arguing with these idiots anymore. 

But Alli isn't bringing anything out of anyone, he's giving the ball away constantly. I well aware what players can bring to a team without having goal numbers to back it up. That why I was always Gerrard over Lampard. If Alli starts like he did yesterday on Wednesday we could be in real trouble, it was like having 10 men at times.

And why do you keep going back to Sterling, the last few post have almost exclusively been about Alli, yet you're ignoring that. And you call me an idiot lol 

Edited by Facecloth

32 minutes ago, NorthfieldsFox said:

Easy victory for England 

croatia looked legless against the Russians 

they all seem to have lost a lot of condition and weight 

France will get past Belgium 

England France final ! Wow 

I think we’ll beat Croatia but I can genuinely see Belgium beating France.

I think it’ll be an England Belgium final.

I feel compelled to say something about Lingard too. A few months ago, I’d have looked at him playing at international level in an England side about to appear in the semi final and thought ‘never in a million years’.

But he’s been great really. Such an engine on him and he never bloody stops trying. Lingard has so gone up in my estimation.

• Like 3

I've been impressed by Kane. He has the team working hard and playing confidently. It gives me glimmers of hope. It was good to see Delle Ali deliver. It has a face that screams smugness and arrogance but his class is unquestionable. Sterling impressed. His end product lacked but his creativity, pace and work rate always threatens the opposition and lifted the team. We're still easily the third best team in the tournament but there's hope we'll improve further against Croatia. I've not looked forward to major competition since Euro 96.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I've been impressed by Kane. He has the team working hard and playing confidently. It gives me glimmers of hope. It was good to see Delle Ali deliver. It has a face that screams smugness and arrogance but his class is unquestionable. Sterling impressed. His end product lacked but his creativity, pace and work rate always threatens the opposition and lifted the team. We're still easily the third best team in the tournament but there's hope we'll improve further against Croatia. I've not looked forward to major competition since Euro 96.

I think Alli’s class has been very questionable for about a year now. There’s a good player in there but for whatever reason his form has been poor for a while now. One six yard header shouldn’t mask that