Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Croatia V England Semi Final Wednesday 11th July 19:00 KO

23 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Come on then @Webbo do your stuff :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44759074

World Cup 2018: Quiz - did it happen before or after England's 1990 semi-final?

Your score: 8 / 10

Top effort

You've nailed this. You can give us a history lesson. We salute you.

Your score: 6 / 10

Fair play

OK, you know your stuff. Good work.

Silly quiz anyway. :dry:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Your score: 6 / 10

Fair play

OK, you know your stuff. Good work.

Silly quiz anyway. :dry:

Your score: 9 / 10

Top effort

How am I supposed to know when Take That were formed?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KingsX said:

FIFA says it is investigating a video made by a Croatia player praising Ukraine after his team beat World Cup host Russia. The video shows Croatia defender Domagoj Vida shouting “glory to Ukraine” before the retired ex-player Ognjen Vukojevic adds “this win is for Dynamo and Ukraine … go Croatia.” Vida and Vukojevic played together at Ukrainian club Dynamo Kiev. It wasn’t immediately clear whether they intended the video to be made public, or if it was a personal message later uploaded to YouTube by someone else.

When asked about the video, soccer’s international governing body says it “is processing the different reports of the said match as well as potential evidence concerning the matter referred to in your message. Please understand, until we have evaluated all information available, we cannot comment further.”

Tensions have been high since Russia annexed Crimea from Ukraine in 2014.

This would be yet another little thing falling in our favour. It's all far too reminiscent of our title win in 2016. Bit by bit things fell our way without us even realising it.

16 hours ago, Foxxed said:

I suspect he's so imminently unlikeable that most will discount him. Even during his celebration there was something I disliked about his mannerisms. It's so rare to have a decent English creative midfielder, a player that pops up with an essential creative spark in critical moments in a game. I don't feel he was a at his best, but it was definitely his best match so far, and he seemed to fit better into his role.

It looked to me like Alli was annoyed when Southgate tried to hug him when got subbed off. Rolled his eyes and resisted the hug. 

Random thoughts: Despite two or three good shots on goal that required Pickford, Sweden played like a hard-working but frustrated Championship side -- not much quality there. Hard to tell if Alli (and Lingard) actually turned a corner with that game. And if Sterling couldn't figure out how to finish against Sweden, what are the chances he'll finally put it all together against Croatia? 

Also, it looked like Kane was a bit fatigued against Sweden, though he didn't do anything wrong. This is where not having Vardy will hurt England (I think he's out for this WC, or, at least, he's not getting off the bench). We may yet see Welbeck, if another striker is required after Rashford gets subbed in.

Edited by Pentatonic

Tough one for Southgate. You generally shouldn't change a winning team, but Croatia possess so much quality in the middle of the park and that's where we seem a bit light. If they get control the game as they did against Argentina, then we're in a bit of trouble.

What a chance though, come on England.

Vrsaljko out injured, Corluka will probably replace him but he might have an issue too. We're playing in all white on Wednesday, Croatia in their black & blue.

I find it interesting that us & Croatia had base camp in St.Petersburg while France & Belgium have been based in Moscow, we switch over cities to play the matches together but then one of us & Croatia stays in Moscow for the Final with the other flying back for the 3rd place game. Also interesting if we are to win against Croatia, if the whole squad then flies back to St.Petersburg for camp or they find another facility to use in Moscow.

10 hours ago, Strokes said:

Your score: 9 / 10

Top effort

How am I supposed to know when Take That were formed?

Think they only started forming bands in laboratories in the 90's, that was a clue ;)

The Americans were doing it in the 60's with the Monkees, just took a while to get here.

Its a worry that we seem only capable of scoring from set pieces but we've been so bloody good them it might not matter. Set pieces are part of the game so why not make use of them, annoys me how many set pieces are wasted, VAR looking more closely at the grappling has helped us massively. Southgate clearly recognised that set pieces are our biggest threat which he is made a way to get Trippier and Young in the team.

Ali has been crap throughout but he's still likely to nick a goal if it falls for him. Sterling has been busy and does have a lot of good things but his end product is awful but we should stick with him. Team is by no means perfect but its the best we've got at the minute so have to stick with it and see what happens.

I don't think there's much between us and Croatia. Could go all the way.

6 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Its a worry that we seem only capable of scoring from set pieces but we've been so bloody good them it might not matter. Set pieces are part of the game so why not make use of them, annoys me how many set pieces are wasted, VAR looking more closely at the grappling has helped us massively. Southgate clearly recognised that set pieces are our biggest threat which he is made a way to get Trippier and Young in the team.

Ali has been crap throughout but he's still likely to nick a goal if it falls for him. Sterling has been busy and does have a lot of good things but his end product is awful but we should stick with him. Team is by no means perfect but its the best we've got at the minute so have to stick with it and see what happens.

I don't think there's much between us and Croatia. Could go all the way.

The fact it's a WC semi final is a great leveller. While older and more experienced, a few of the Croats will know this is their last chance. It's whether that inspires them or bogs them down.

As long as it's close at half time, I think we'll have the legs on them after that and could start to dominate possession.

If we can start quickly, that could have a speedy draining effect on their older players.

13 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Honestly mate, the contrast between now and the last time we were in the WC semi final is chalk and cheese.

I was 17 and on holiday with the lads in Magaluf during Italia 90. Young, free and single, permanently on the piss and generally having the time of my life.

What I would do to have those times again :(

13 hours ago, Strokes said:

Funnily enough there is no contrast in my situation, just a reversal of roles. 1990 I was the annoying 8 year old kid.

Italia 90 was the reason I fell in love with football and to watch my son go through similar is fantastic.

For Italia 90, I was a young, free and single 27-year-old in Sydney, somehow combining market research interviewing during the day with watching football all night.

I watched the Semi round at an English mate's house somewhere in the Sydney suburbs. The match finished at about 5-6am, by when we were both seriously pissed - and seriously pissed off.

We had an argument and I decided to walk out and return to the backpackers hostel I was staying in. I remember my mate, in an irate state, chasing me up a suburban street as the sun rose, remonstrating with me. 

There was a third mate out there at the same time and he was off traveling through Queensland and had to go to catch a late-night bus halfway through the shootout or something stupid.

I should have checked his story as I met both of them again for a World Cup reunion about 3 weeks back.

I'm now oldish, freeish and single. :D

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Pentatonic said:

It looked to me like Alli was annoyed when Southgate tried to hug him when got subbed off. Rolled his eyes and resisted the hug. 

Random thoughts: Despite two or three good shots on goal that required Pickford, Sweden played like a hard-working but frustrated Championship side -- not much quality there. Hard to tell if Alli (and Lingard) actually turned a corner with that game. And if Sterling couldn't figure out how to finish against Sweden, what are the chances he'll finally put it all together against Croatia? 

Also, it looked like Kane was a bit fatigued against Sweden, though he didn't do anything wrong. This is where not having Vardy will hurt England (I think he's out for this WC, or, at least, he's not getting off the bench). We may yet see Welbeck, if another striker is required after Rashford gets subbed in.

I thought Lingard played well. Better than Alli. I can't imagine alli not wanting a hug! He comes across as either mardy or smug. He did say after the match that wasn't one of his better matches. Probably wanted to stay on.

13 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm no lover of Dele, but I thought he came over well in his interview. I'm impressed that these players have done enough to change minds on here, which is no mean feat. 

I agree HPF, they've all subscribed to the 'group' thing and played their part, whether starting or not. Alli looked slightly sheepish about being interviewed, he knows he didn't play well. Hope the goal gives him the boost he seems to need for the remainder of the tournament.

Unsurprisingly, I'm not a big Alli fan but my only complaint in this WC is that he's looked off the pace completely, I can see arguments for dropping him but not sure GS will. Whilst we're on the team for Wednesday, I'm firmly in the Sterling camp, I think he's caused the 'big lump' defenders like Mina all kinds of trouble.

It would be someone in for Alli for me but no more changes. Whatever Southgate decides on, is fine by me though.

32 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I agree HPF, they've all subscribed to the 'group' thing and played their part, whether starting or not. Alli looked slightly sheepish about being interviewed, he knows he didn't play well. Hope the goal gives him the boost he seems to need for the remainder of the tournament.

Unsurprisingly, I'm not a big Alli fan but my only complaint in this WC is that he's looked off the pace completely, I can see arguments for dropping him but not sure GS will. Whilst we're on the team for Wednesday, I'm firmly in the Sterling camp, I think he's caused the 'big lump' defenders like Mina all kinds of trouble.

It would be someone in for Alli for me but no more changes. Whatever Southgate decides on, is fine by me though.

Given that GS is also about the group, I think changes unlikely too. As I said elsewhere, I expect the England equivalent of Schmeichel, Simpson, Fuchs, Kante, Morgan, Huth, Drinkwater, Albrighton, Mahrez, Okazaki, Vardy. 

Ali was predominantly garbage during the Sweden game, but took his chance very well indeed. 

Like Sterling the lad has talent and hopefully the goal will help him show it against Croatia. We seem to be progressing in the right way and our performance is improving. If we really are to win this thing we need to go up a few more notches. 

31 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Is sterling englands version of okazaki?

Runs around unsettling the opposition but cant score goals?

I think southgate believes the potential and just wont drop him and wreck his confidence.

I think there's definite comparison there with what Sterling has offered during the games so far.

Yes, he's dithered when he has time to make a decision but he has harassed the opposition (more so by running directly at them with the ball) and big defenders, like Jerry Mina, have really struggled with him. That's created space imo. 

If his confidence is really fragile, it would make no sense to drop him at all.

Edited by Max Wall

3 hours ago, SpazticChicken said:

Vrsaljko out injured, Corluka will probably replace him but he might have an issue too. We're playing in all white on Wednesday, Croatia in their black & blue.

I find it interesting that us & Croatia had base camp in St.Petersburg while France & Belgium have been based in Moscow, we switch over cities to play the matches together but then one of us & Croatia stays in Moscow for the Final with the other flying back for the 3rd place game. Also interesting if we are to win against Croatia, if the whole squad then flies back to St.Petersburg for camp or they find another facility to use in Moscow.

Probably go back to St Petersburg, the families are based there, belongings all there too. Whatever happens they will be on a early, early morning flight I should imagine. 

England should have absolutely no pressure on themselves. I'd say on paper Croatia edge it on the strength of their midfield but their weaknesses are where we are strong. 

I think Jordon Pickford is a very good player, but lets him down is the manner in which he shouts aggressively to the defence when they're under pressure from the opposition's forward line.

It can be good in certain situations, but not regularly as he had done recently.

• Haha 2