Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
La-li-lu-le-lo

World Cup celebrations.

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I honestly don't think it's the English, I think it's chavs. England isn't the only country to have thick antisocial morons and not all the English are thick antisocial morons. 

There is definitely a culture in this country that thinks its funny and cool to be stupid, to be annoying to other people, to be antisocial, to be rude and piss people off. It's not unique to this country though

Not unique maybe, but I do feel like being as foolish as possible is a peculiarity of the English when drunk (some of the English)

There's been the odd report of stupidity but it's been pretty minor. You just can't stop them all it seems.

Got to hope it stays the same if we are knocked out or beaten in the final, that's usually when the real idiots surface.

Any of this type of behaviour is reprehensible but it would, in some ways, be an even bigger shame if a seemingly grounded and likeable England team are tarred by any shenanigans of brain dead fans in victory or defeat.

Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Berks will find any excuse to be berks, and then take no responsibility for their actions. It happens amongst the poorest and the most privileged, and a lot of our politicians seem to be at it a lot right now. So I'd say it's a common trait, maybe in all societies, but certainly in ours. 

There was a video that surfaced after we beat Tunisia of about 20 teenagers singing It's Coming Home and pushing over chairs and signs outside Mission Burrito and Zizzis in town. Absolutely embarrassing.

Some of the celebrations have been top drawer in pubs, but I didn't realise some have been lobbing actual pint glasses and not plastic cups.

3 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

There was a video that surfaced after we beat Tunisia of about 20 teenagers singing It's Coming Home and pushing over chairs and signs outside Mission Burrito and Zizzis in town. Absolutely embarrassing.

Some of the celebrations have been top drawer in pubs, but I didn't realise some have been lobbing actual pint glasses and not plastic cups.

After the Panama game there was similar up the Meridian of all places. 

They looked about 18/19 waving little bottles of corona around and half eaten pizza hut. 

It would have been almost cute if it wasn't so ****ing embarrassing. 

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

English football fans are literally the only group of people it's morally OK openly discriminate against. 

I think the phrase is more 'make generalisations about', not discriminate. And yes I agree generalisations don't help but we all make them all the time. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I must be English, because I think all of that is pretty funny.

Knocking Sweden out and then celebrating in Ikea....brings a tear to the eye, makes me proud

Wonder if there will be Croatian fans dancing in DFS in Zagreb?

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I honestly don't think it's the English, I think it's chavs. England isn't the only country to have thick antisocial morons and not all the English are thick antisocial morons. 

There is definitely a culture in this country that thinks its funny and cool to be stupid, to be annoying to other people, to be antisocial, to be rude and piss people off. It's not unique to this country though. 

No, a lot of other countries we colonised are the same.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Royston. said:

Not in the best taste i agree but a bunch of people fannying about in ikea hardly shames the entire england fan base.

Agreed. It does seem to be a case of clutching at straws.

Edited by Max Wall

20 hours ago, Finnegan said:

After the Panama game there was similar up the Meridian of all places. 

They looked about 18/19 waving little bottles of corona around and half eaten pizza hut. 

It would have been almost cute if it wasn't so ****ing embarrassing. 

Jesus, imagine pretending to be a hooligan after you've watched England in Hollywood Bowl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing I find baffling is that nothing has been achieved yet. After each victory, I have had a few celebratory drinks but nothing to go on top of a table and start dancing. I have already thought about what my reaction would be on Wednesday if we won and it would probably be immediate nerves about the final. 

Maybe Leicester's success puts it in perspective too. I wasn't in Leicester on the night we won the league and instead I just had two hours in home watching various bits. When we lifted the trophy against Everton, I was so utterly trollied that memories are hazy to say the least. I wouldn't want to repeat that; I'd rather have a relaxed celebration and actually soak it up this time. 

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The thing I find baffling is that nothing has been achieved yet. After each victory, I have had a few celebratory drinks but nothing to go on top of a table and start dancing. I have already thought about what my reaction would be on Wednesday if we won and it would probably be immediate nerves about the final. 

Maybe Leicester's success puts it in perspective too. I wasn't in Leicester on the night we won the league and instead I just had two hours in home watching various bits. When we lifted the trophy against Everton, I was so utterly trollied that memories are hazy to say the least. I wouldn't want to repeat that; I'd rather have a relaxed celebration and actually soak it up this time. 

I realised I was going through quite a severe depressive episode when we won the league because I sat on the sofa watching the mass celebrations on SSN not feeling anything. 

I celebrated when Hazard scored but it passed quickly and after that I sat there in numb shock not feeling a great deal. 

At the Everton game I didn't want to be drunk at all. I wanted my senses heightened and my memory sharp, I wanted to soak up every detail and commit it to memory. To date, the memory of standing there watching Bocelli and Raneiri on the pitch chokes me up. 

I don't understand people that drink more than one or two pints before or during the match. Different strokes, different folks, but I want to fully experience that shit not witness it through a haze. 

I swear half the shit opinions about our players on here are because people are often too shit faced to have actually watched the game properly. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I realised I was going through quite a severe depressive episode when we won the league because I sat on the sofa watching the mass celebrations on SSN not feeling anything. 

I celebrated when Hazard scored but it passed quickly and after that I sat there in numb shock not feeling a great deal. 

At the Everton game I didn't want to be drunk at all. I wanted my senses heightened and my memory sharp, I wanted to soak up every detail and commit it to memory. To date, the memory of standing there watching Bocelli and Raneiri on the pitch chokes me up. 

I don't understand people that drink more than one or two pints before or during the match. Different strokes, different folks, but I want to fully experience that shit not witness it through a haze. 

I swear half the shit opinions about our players on here are because people are often too shit faced to have actually watched the game properly. 

Cant believe I havent considered this before, could be bang on that

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

One of wider social problems that the whole of the UK has always suffered from is a failure to be able to have a few relaxing coldies without it turning into a gallon of Nelson Mandela, raucous chanting and some nekkid crowd surfing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Maybe that particular response wasn’t down to depression.

One month after Vardy’s kitchen  … the Cavaliers win game 7 and Cleveland’s first major sports title in 52 years.  I was terrified/excited all game and apeshit when LeBron made his spectacular block.  But after the buzzer?  Numb as a brick.  High-fiving but disconnected.

Looking back, it’s literally stunning  when something you thought would never happen, actually happens.  (A rip in the fabric of reality!)  And when you realize it isn’t going to change the circumstances of your life.

But far from depressing surely?  Remembering it has made me happy so many times, and always will.

So if I consider most FoxesTalkers' chance to experience the feeling again, I’m all Three Lions.  Let Vardy score the winner so I can get off on it myself.  If it’s all just too much to take in, go ahead and throw your beer, it will hit you later.  (or @Finnegan ... remember all things must pass.)

p.s. I thought "Great sociologists of our time" was an empty set, until I read your last comment about shit opinions.  :thumbup:

• Like 1