Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iran

Alireza Jahanbakhsh - Brighton

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Lad clearly has talent, and I can't but stress again that we've done reasonably well by giving "unknown" players or players from smaller leagues their breakthrough (Kanté, Mahrez, Vardy, and beyond, stretching back as far as the O'Neill era, for instance). Diabaté is another current example - although the effect has yet to be seen.

A shirt-selling exercise would be exactly what you're alluding to in your second part of your post - if we were to sign a player as is Ronaldo to Juventus:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6776244/cristiano-ronaldo-juventus-shirts-99m-serie-a-portuugal-real-madrid/

The World Cup has certainly helped to proper Jahanbakhsh to new heights despite his rather mediocre performances, but who really can say they knew the guy two years ago already?

Very valid point! I just can’t help thinking that they’ve identified an under represented nation in the premier league that could potentially act as a massive financial boost from said country... If we sign the lad and he looks decent, then I’ll be happy... but I just don’t think he looks that great... Altidore once finished the top scorer in the Dutch league.....

Edited by La-li-lu-le-lo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Very valid point! I just can’t help thinking that they’ve identified an under represented nation in the premier league that could potentially act as a massive financial boost from said country... If we sign the lad and he looks decent, then I’ll be happy... but I just don’t think he looks that great... Altidore once finished the top scorer in the Dutch league.....

With regards to Altidore, if the scouts and people in power and responsible for the transfer to Sunderland would've only looked past his record with AZ, then they'd have seen that he had scored a total of three goals in between 2008 and 2011. :D

But I suppose expectations can be a burden, and then also how well your new club is set up to support you in your role (as a striker in Altidore's case). We're now on a different planet altogether and Jahanbakhsh plays in a completely different role, too.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Is Alireza a popular name in Iran? Just noticed the referee in the England game shares the name 

Yea. it's as common as john. It's combination of two names: Ali and Reza. There are a lot of first names that consist of two first names back to back. amirhossein.   amir and hoseein.   Amirali   Amir and Ali. etc. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Thats a very one dimensional way of looking at it. Altidore or Janssen didnt finish with the third most assists in the league did they? Did they prove themselves versatile enough to play any position across the front line? Did they play successfully in a WC while being given a task with extreme amounts of defensive requirements? 

Yes, he is coming from the dutch league, and we are all aware the quality is very low compared to EPL. But, if we take a closer look at his skillset, and he profile of player leicester are looking for, it seems like a very reasonable fit. Plus, he has higher level experience, the year that AZ were in the Europa League he was excellent, especially performances vs a strong lyon team (where he scored and was very dangerous, despite his team being battered), and of course international experience and a WC.

And btw, Iran isnt some underrepresented country like Japan or Korea or China that is gonna be a cash cow for leicester. In fact, signing an iranian player has been taboo for many european clubs in recent years, because of Iran's image in the West as a pariah state, enemy of the west, etc. So if indeed the foxes are keen on signing him, he must have ticked a lot of boxes for them that would outweigh the  typically unfavorable nationality of the player.

1 hour ago, Inarsenewerust said:

Yes, he is coming from the dutch league, and we are all aware the quality is very low compared to EPL. But, if we take a closer look at his skillset, and he profile of player leicester are looking for, it seems like a very reasonable fit. 

Agree with this. It's not the best league but that doesn't mean anything. Ibrahimovic, Suarez, Davinson and Eriksen all played in the Eredivisie as a stepping stone and they're not bad players.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Agree with this. It's not the best league but that doesn't mean anything. Ibrahimovic, Suarez, Davinson and Eriksen all played in the Eredivisie as a stepping stone and they're not bad players.

The Brazilian Ronaldo as well. 

Whilst you have to be wary of signing players from the Eredivisie and couple that with signing an Iranian player who don't have great pedigree for success in elite level leagues you really can't argue with Jahanbakhsh's stats.

21 goals and 12 assists in 33 games for AZ is phenomenal and especially for a player who plays as an attacking right sided player. He was involved in 46% of AZ's goals either by scoring them himself or assisting which is much higher than other highly rated players in that league.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aliparvin said:

Yea. it's as common as john. It's combination of two names: Ali and Reza. There are a lot of first names that consist of two first names back to back. amirhossein.   amir and hoseein.   Amirali   Amir and Ali. etc. 

Who'd have thought John would be a common Iranian name...

• Haha 1

The Dutch league does tend to throw up some duds but also some real gems. This lads figures cannot go unnoticed. Never seen him play so basing my opinion solely on those figures and can’t help but get excited. Excelled each season and stepped up. If this is true, could be the man to get us off our seat next year.