Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iran

Alireza Jahanbakhsh - Brighton

39 minutes ago, Inarsenewerust said:

guys just say Alireza and call it a day.

An easier way for you to pronounce The surname  : Ja-hon ( like on but hon) - baksh

Forget about the "h" between the "k" and "s", the dutch did as well.

Can we call him Al?

• Haha 1

what do you guys think of Musa and Slimani ? Personally I thought both were very high quality players, but it seems after they moved from smaller leagues to leicester they struggled. The only reason that some iranians arent totally excited about this move is that they fear the possibility that something like this happens to alireza. Obviously, flopping is a possibility anywhere. But, english clubs kind of have a bad reputation of discarding players that dont immediately perform/fans jumping on them/scapegoating them. As a long time arsenal fan, I have witnessed similar unfair treatment of the likes of lucas perez, joel campbell, and even at times mesut ozil. Now ozil is a world class player that is able to handle such pressure and continue to perform, but the other two drifted away from arsenal and back to other leagues.

Would you guys say this attitude is also prevalent at leiecester or not as much? I personally think Puel is a very coach and guy and thats why I am fine with the signing. Ideally I would have liked to see ARJ in a more development oriented league, like Bundesliga, for one of the top 6-7 teams, but I feel like he can develop similarly at leiecester with good young players around him, as well as the Puel who is known for player development since his time in france. I think the fact that ARJ's playing style really suits the PL, more than most iranian players for sure, also makes this not that big of a concern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inarsenewerust said:

Hey guys, iranian here who has watched alireza jahanbakhsh (we call him ARJ or alireza for short), since he moved to europe at the age of 18, and even some before that in our youth teams. The interest seems pretty legit at this point so I thought I would give some expertise to leicester fans pondering this signing.

You guys have all seen his stats, they're fantastic. Top scorer in dutch league from right wing role, though he can also play as a left winger, CAM, and second forward in a 3-5-2, 5-3-2 and did so a couple times for AZ. It seems strange to me that he gets very little hype, but Lozano and Ziyech, both from the same league, playing for the top clubs in that league (teams much better than AZ in terms of quality), have inferior stats, but get so much praise and hype from western media, whereas there is comparatively much less hype for ARJ. Its clearly bc of his nationality, so ill leave it at that.

In terms of his main strengths, he is an all around good player. His dribbling, body strength, crossing are all very good. He has a phenomenal strike on him with both feet. In my opinion, his biggest strength is his shooting, and decision making. His weight of pass, when to release the ball, when to shoot, etc, is excellent, as evidenced in the videos. He is not a winger like mahrez who will dribble through 5 defenders and then hit a curling shot to win a game. That is simply not his skill set. He is instead a very efficient winger, who makes his decisions in a very calculated manner. That is not to say his skill set isn't exciting.  He is stll a great dribbler, loves a meg, and again really has a cannon of a shot on both feet. He is also very tidy in possession. Side note, he is also weirdly good at heading, at scored quite a few headed goals for AZ this season off corners.

Another note, he is very good defensively. Playing in Iran's team, Carlos Queiroz (ex United - assistant to SAF, Real madrid - Head coach, Portugal - Head coach), requires his wingers to do a lot of work defensively and really cover the outside backs. He performs this job very well. But it also explains why he struggled to make a major impact offensively for our national team at the WC (as did our other big offensive players such as Azmoun, Ghoddos, Ansarifard), as when we got the ball they were 50-60 yards away from the opposition goal, and by the time they got the ball there, no support was really around them.

Mentally, he is very strong. Came from poorer background and left to europe alone at the age of 18, despite offers from the traditional big tehran teams, who were willing to pay him 10 times as much as any dutch side. Worked way up to AZ, had some injury issues in first season but really flourished since then. He can speak both english and dutch fluently, and is a very nice lad I would say. He always is giving advice to younger iranian players, visiting children in poorest communities in iran, etc. He wants to be a role model for all of iranian kids/footballers, and with his character and quality I think he is doing that.

Weaknesses : Yes, he doesnt have a crazy turn of pace, and at times for our national team he doesnt grab the game by the scruff of the neck as he should. This mainly has to do with the system we play, but still I expect more form him at times.

In terms of interest from other clubs : Napoli were VERY  interested early on. There was talks of an agreement being very close, as they wanted him to replace Callejon. However, once Sarri left, and Ancellotti arrived, their entire transfer policy changed from targetting young talented players from smaller leagues, to going after big names such as Di maria. Lazio were also reportedly interested, but ended up signing Berisha from RB Salzburg. Brighton are interested, but he rejected them before he moved to AZ, and I dont really get the vibe that he fancies a move there. Leicester would be a good fit bc I think Puel is a good coach who will improve him, there is obviously playing time available with mahrez leaving, and the team is very solid all around with quality players, so he wont have to deal with a lack of quality teammates, a too defensive team, or a team in the relegation battle.

Overall for 22 million, I think he is certainly worth that price in todays market. Spurs payed a similar fee for his teammate Jansen a couple years ago ( ARJ was the main part of his success with a ton of assists), and Janssen is a forward. ARJ is a winger, with a ton of assists as well, and WC + Europa League experience, so the price is reasonable.

Anyways if you guys have any other questions, feel free to ask. Lets see how this one plays out...

I’ve got a paragraph in and have got a 18/19 Premier League champions tattoo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Inarsenewerust said:

what do you guys think of Musa and Slimani ? Personally I thought both were very high quality players, but it seems after they moved from smaller leagues to leicester they struggled. The only reason that some iranians arent totally excited about this move is that they fear the possibility that something like this happens to alireza. Obviously, flopping is a possibility anywhere. But, english clubs kind of have a bad reputation of discarding players that dont immediately perform/fans jumping on them/scapegoating them. As a long time arsenal fan, I have witnessed similar unfair treatment of the likes of lucas perez, joel campbell, and even at times mesut ozil. Now ozil is a world class player that is able to handle such pressure and continue to perform, but the other two drifted away from arsenal and back to other leagues.

Would you guys say this attitude is also prevalent at leiecester or not as much? I personally think Puel is a very coach and guy and thats why I am fine with the signing. Ideally I would have liked to see ARJ in a more development oriented league, like Bundesliga, for one of the top 6-7 teams, but I feel like he can develop similarly at leiecester with good young players around him, as well as the Puel who is known for player development since his time in france. I think the fact that ARJ's playing style really suits the PL, more than most iranian players for sure, also makes this not that big of a concern.

General consensus is that Musa is too much of a confidence player, when he has no confidence he becomes the worst player on the pitch, so therefore unreliable. Slimani has been injured half the time he's been here, and apparently has a bit of an attitude. Both of them have their best position as number 9 so have only been played out of position here, as they clearly can't displace Vardy, so their skills are difficult to accurately judge.  Alireza should be played in his strongest RW position here and he seems to have a great character, so less likely to be a problem.

Puel is great for giving young players game time, but I don't think many of the fans (or players) expect him to last very long.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Here is some eye candy for you guys ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZulfwFbXWo

Thanks for the vid.  I tried not to watch it though Mahrez-tinted glasses, but I’m not there yet.  ARJ is obviously a very heads up player and incisive passer, which is what we will need more than anything from the “successor”.

OTOH, it made me realize how much I am going to miss the watching-Rembrandt-paint beauty of the best first touch in the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brucey said:

General consensus is that Musa is too much of a confidence player, when he has no confidence he becomes the worst player on the pitch, so therefore unreliable. Slimani has been injured half the time he's been here, and apparently has a bit of an attitude. Both of them have their best position as number 9 so have only been played out of position here, as they clearly can't displace Vardy, so their skills are difficult to accurately judge.  Alireza should be played in his strongest RW position here and he seems to have a great character, so less likely to be a problem.

Puel is great for giving young players game time, but I don't think many of the fans (or players) expect him to last very long.

Ok. Yes the attitude bit wont be a problem at all. Why is there dislike for Puel? I heard about this towards the end of last season as well and just couldnt wrap my head around it. I am aware the thai owners are quite knee-jerk. Imo, thats not the best for an incoming player, when stability is important (or for the whole team for really)

7 minutes ago, Everygamefox said:

Looks like it’s happening but he looks a bit slow for the PL.

if it was 500k great but not sure for 20 million 

Mahrez wasn't the fastest for us, either. Speed can be an attribute, but only if you can follow it up with skill and vision.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Inarsenewerust said:

Ok. Yes the attitude bit wont be a problem at all. Why is there dislike for Puel? I heard about this towards the end of last season as well and just couldnt wrap my head around it. I am aware the thai owners are quite knee-jerk. Imo, thats not the best for an incoming player, when stability is important (or for the whole team for really)

We have a "strong" dressing room that doesn't seem to get on with Puel's management style. His quietness and language barrier probably makes it difficult to get his ideas across to the players. Among fans, opinion is very split, there's a long thread arguing about it but basically a few people are worried about his playing style.

Our owners are the best owners ever and I don't think they're knee jerk at all, they will do whatever is best for the club. Maybe the Ranieri sacking gave them that reputation, but that really should have been done a few months earlier.

• Like 1

Just now, brucey said:

We have a "strong" dressing room that doesn't seem to get on with Puel's management style. His quietness and language barrier probably makes it difficult to get his ideas across to the players. Among fans, opinion is very split, there's a long thread arguing about it but basically a few people are worried about his playing style.

Our owners are the best owners ever and I don't think they're knee jerk at all, they will do whatever is best for the club. Maybe the Ranieri sacking gave them that reputation, but that really should have been done a few months earlier.

Maybe they got that reputation because of the subsequent hiring and firing of shakespeare, and then the hiring of puel followed by all this talk of him getting the sack. But yeah Puel's demeanor is a bit understated, distant.

I just don't think he looks that good. He lacks pace and his close control isn't the best, never looked fully in control.

Maddison's showreel excited me more, looks like its playing in fast-forward by comparison. 

As always, I'm happy to be (and probably will be) proved wrong. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Inarsenewerust said:

To answer your question, Geoff Peters, who works for Talksport and is well connected at Leicester City, has made it clear on several  occasions that the players and non-Puel backroom staff absolutely hate him. 

If true, it’s hard to see Puel making it to October to be honest with you. 

Edited by Nickfosse