Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mo-rima

Riyad finally gone

It may be just like the puss has squeezed  out of a nasty boil, that festering that seemed to be upsetting our players performances post January, still a bit unsightly for a while, but it will heal up and be unnoticeable after a while.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I’m surprised at people being surprised at the lack of gratitude to fans and club. 

Hes a **** - I have been saying this for 2 years.

You don't know him so don't call him a **** 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

17 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Yes, we are capable of noticing that most of your 2,700 posts have been that same simple thought.  And some of us didn’t even put you on ignore.

Why push it, now he’s gone.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

You don't know him so don't call him a **** 

He might not be a **** but he's definitely a ****

Good luck to the lad in all fairness. For us, time for the next star to step up, for some reason I think we'll be just fine. 

20 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I’m surprised at people being surprised at the lack of gratitude to fans and club. 

And now he's gone, so you can finally move on and stop spouting repetitive vitriol about one of our best ever players. Everyone's a winner!

Personally I don’t want anyone here who doesn’t want to be at the club so from that point of view not fussed at all

great player great skills 

fvcking appallingly bad reactions though to not getting his own way and his actions last season were nothing short of embarrassing and distasteful 

• Like 1

How many people who are glad to see him gone will cheer when we get some more grafters, who've grafted so hard they're too knackered to produce the moments of sublime match-winning brilliance Ryiad regularly produced. I really hope Maddison is this hard grafting creative we seek!

Edited by Foxxed

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I worry that we are fast becoming the new Southampton. This is the 3rd summer running we've lost a key player to a Big 6 team and the chances are that we will face bids for Maguire and possibly Ndidi and Kasper over the next few weeks. Okay, we've not lost 4 or 5 players in one summer to one club like Southampton have in the past but the continued loss of quality players is a real concern, especially as we've failed to replace quality with the same level of quality thus far (even Ndidi, as good as he is, is not Kanté). My fear is that this can only result in our gradual slide down the table.:(

I think that the loss of Drinky suited us for the fee, so we've lost Kante and Mahrez.  When you have two players as deserate to leave as they were, no club has a choice.

As a squad though, we have strengthened in other areas.  We have replaced Kante as best we could.  I can't think of a player that a club like ours could attract that is better than Wilf.  We've bought in Maguire and Evans, an attacking wing back and finally a number 10.

Teams evolve.  We are in good shape.

• Like 1

Good Bye and Good Luck to the best player I've ever seen in a City shirt.

I think his performances next season will make it look like they have truly had our pants down for £60 Million.

I'll miss him for his ability on the pitch but not for his attitude off it.

• Like 1

The Premier League, as it often does, got a little more top heavy today, after a successful-yet-pragmatic club sold its most valuable player to an elite team that didn’t really need him. Riyad Mahrez—Leicester City’s more beautiful, playmaking compliment to their relentless striker Jamie Vardy—has left the club where he became a legend by helping lead his squad to perhaps the most stunning championship season in all of sports ever. Manchester City, already giants of England and soon Europe too, acquired him in a transfer for £60 million.

This is overkill, obviously. While the Champions League trophy eluded City thanks to the work of Mo Salah and Liverpool, this was still a flawless Premier League team in 2017-18—one of the best of all time. And even if there is room for improvement, it certainly isn’t in the opponent’s half of the pitch, where any increased firepower in the roster bumps up against the law of diminishing returns. The five-ish starting creative and attacking players on Manchester City last season could have included any combination of Sergio Agüero, David Silva, Gabriel Jesus, Bernardo Silva, Leroy Sané, Raheem Sterling, Kevin De Bruyne, and İlkay Gündoğan.

Is Mahrez, the PFA Player Of The Year in 2016, actually even good enough to slot ahead of at least three of those guys on a regular basis? Maybe! David Silva, in particular, is closer to the end of his career than the beginning, and often plays in Mahrez’s favored position at the right hand of the striker. But Sané, Sterling, and Bernardo Silva are all comfortable at that spot, younger than Mahrez, and have more experience playing for manager Pep Guardiola. Mahrez is a brilliant passer, but he’s not better than Kevin De Bruyne. He’s a major threat to score, but not more so than at least three of City’s more specialized attackers. He still has plenty of seasons to offer at 27 years old, but his best one came almost for sure in 2015-16. In the long-term scope of this club, Mahrez is nothing more than an emergency band-aid.

However, it’s hard to really blame anyone involved for this move. Long before the transfer actually became official, Mahrez was making no secret of his desire to leave Leicester, and it’s perfectly fine for him—having achieved everything he could have dreamed of with his now-former club—to want more exposure, a chance to prove himself further, and the possibility of Europe’s top prize.

Leicester, for their part, sold extraordinarily high on a dude they picked up out of the French second division in 2014. And smartly reinvesting the money from these kinds of massive transfers—rather than holding onto key players against their will—is how the “best of the rest” clubs thrive in their own way. Manchester City, meanwhile, is still stuck with the pressure to grow despite their successes. Even though City have already reached dizzying heights in the domestic competition, they’re not yet Barcelona or Real Madrid or even Bayern Munich, and while adding Mahrez doesn’t change that fact, it certainly doesn’t make them any worse. And since money is no object for this team, they might as well go for it.

Still, this is all kind of depressing—a very talented star leaving the club where he’s an immortal in order to be an unspecial supporting player on an already established juggernaut. Mahrez’s potential role at Manchester City could echo something like James Rodriguez at Madrid—an undeniable talent who is also completely redundant on his team’s roster. But even if he does find solid playing time and make important contributions to his new team, the final break-up of a core Leicester group that shocked and thrilled the whole world only a couple of years ago is a sad thing. With Manchester City’s ascendance, and the continued domination of one or two clubs in all the other major leagues around Europe, the idea of a middle-class team making an unbelievable underdog run already feels like such a faint memory.

https://deadspin.com/riyad-mahrez-is-now-just-another-dude-scrapping-for-att-1827496516

• Like 2

Definitely feeling sad. But as others has mentioned, it was really time for both Leicester and Mahrez to start their own new chapters.

I will miss the excitement when Mahrez gets the ball despite him most of the times just losing it and causing a counter attack against us; but those few times when he really got it on it was pure magic. Really kind of curious to see if he is really as good, as we think he is.

thank you mahrez for the best moments of football and wish you all best

we come to understand that your transfer request were not aimed at Leicester city as such but proof that the  club couldn't cope with the high demands of top six with the existing squad after winning the title 

glad that you moved when Leicester city have strengthen defense midfield and attack with talented players and a promising season ahead ( lcfc will play man city later in December and in May )

9 minutes ago, KingsX said:

The Premier League, as it often does, got a little more top heavy today, after a successful-yet-pragmatic club sold its most valuable player to an elite team that didn’t really need him. Riyad Mahrez—Leicester City’s more beautiful, playmaking compliment to their relentless striker Jamie Vardy—has left the club where he became a legend by helping lead his squad to perhaps the most stunning championship season in all of sports ever. Manchester City, already giants of England and soon Europe too, acquired him in a transfer for £60 million.

This is overkill, obviously. While the Champions League trophy eluded City thanks to the work of Mo Salah and Liverpool, this was still a flawless Premier League team in 2017-18—one of the best of all time. And even if there is room for improvement, it certainly isn’t in the opponent’s half of the pitch, where any increased firepower in the roster bumps up against the law of diminishing returns. The five-ish starting creative and attacking players on Manchester City last season could have included any combination of Sergio Agüero, David Silva, Gabriel Jesus, Bernardo Silva, Leroy Sané, Raheem Sterling, Kevin De Bruyne, and İlkay Gündoğan.

Is Mahrez, the PFA Player Of The Year in 2016, actually even good enough to slot ahead of at least three of those guys on a regular basis? Maybe! David Silva, in particular, is closer to the end of his career than the beginning, and often plays in Mahrez’s favored position at the right hand of the striker. But Sané, Sterling, and Bernardo Silva are all comfortable at that spot, younger than Mahrez, and have more experience playing for manager Pep Guardiola. Mahrez is a brilliant passer, but he’s not better than Kevin De Bruyne. He’s a major threat to score, but not more so than at least three of City’s more specialized attackers. He still has plenty of seasons to offer at 27 years old, but his best one came almost for sure in 2015-16. In the long-term scope of this club, Mahrez is nothing more than an emergency band-aid.

However, it’s hard to really blame anyone involved for this move. Long before the transfer actually became official, Mahrez was making no secret of his desire to leave Leicester, and it’s perfectly fine for him—having achieved everything he could have dreamed of with his now-former club—to want more exposure, a chance to prove himself further, and the possibility of Europe’s top prize.

Leicester, for their part, sold extraordinarily high on a dude they picked up out of the French second division in 2014. And smartly reinvesting the money from these kinds of massive transfers—rather than holding onto key players against their will—is how the “best of the rest” clubs thrive in their own way. Manchester City, meanwhile, is still stuck with the pressure to grow despite their successes. Even though City have already reached dizzying heights in the domestic competition, they’re not yet Barcelona or Real Madrid or even Bayern Munich, and while adding Mahrez doesn’t change that fact, it certainly doesn’t make them any worse. And since money is no object for this team, they might as well go for it.

Still, this is all kind of depressing—a very talented star leaving the club where he’s an immortal in order to be an unspecial supporting player on an already established juggernaut. Mahrez’s potential role at Manchester City could echo something like James Rodriguez at Madrid—an undeniable talent who is also completely redundant on his team’s roster. But even if he does find solid playing time and make important contributions to his new team, the final break-up of a core Leicester group that shocked and thrilled the whole world only a couple of years ago is a sad thing. With Manchester City’s ascendance, and the continued domination of one or two clubs in all the other major leagues around Europe, the idea of a middle-class team making an unbelievable underdog run already feels like such a faint memory.

https://deadspin.com/riyad-mahrez-is-now-just-another-dude-scrapping-for-att-1827496516

As an argument against his redundancy... https://www.football365.com/news/liverpool-clash-offers-clue-to-importance-of-mahrez

2 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

I can’t deny that even Oil City can use one more attacking option for Cup or CL games, and to ease ahead of teammates who are slightly older.

But to me, MCFC acquiring a Mahrez-level talent (and cost) for that role, approaches a sickening level of luxury.  IMO (apologies to Kate Upton fans) extreme top-heaviness is no good thing.

SOMEBODY making 200K/week is going to be largely redundant.  I personally doubt it will be Riyad, but we shall see.

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Yes, we are capable of noticing that most of your 2,700 posts have been that same simple thought.  And some of us didn’t even put you on ignore.

Why push it, now he’s gone.

Wait you can put somebody on ignore? I dread to think how many have done that to me lol 

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

How many people who are glad to see him gone will cheer when we get some more grafters, who've grafted so hard they're too knackered to produce the moments of sublime match-winning brilliance Ryiad regularly produced. I really hope Maddison is this hard grafting creative we seek!

The onus is on the club/the management to deal with the situation accordingly and sensibly and to come up with viable alternatives - given the fact that we've known for about a year that Mahrez wanted to leave (he put in two transfer requests), my guess and my hope is we've a) learnt from previous transfer fiascos and b) been on the lookout for people who can slide in at right midfield/right wing easily for a while now.

It's not a question of replacing Mahrez, it's a question of adding another player who can fill out his position according to the strategy implemented by the manager. Maybe the new guy on the right won't produce the same numbers, but then it's up to other players to step up and add more goals and assists (I'm thinking central midfield, Gray, potentially Albrighton, but also Iheanacho, and maybe Chilwell and Pereira). That's how we can compensate for the departure.

I'm really fed up with people crying wolf over the loss of one (influential) player, as if it's the end of the world. The club will continue to exist, we succeed and fail as a team and it's not as if we can't achieve great things (again) in the near future after the loss of Mahrez. We're operating on a solid financial basis, now let's have faith in the managerial skills of the people in charge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1