Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

Post Match - England 1 - Croatia 2 (AET)

Guest ttfn
Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Mourinho has properly coached the joy out of Rashford. I'm not having that he's a bad player at all but he really needs out of United.

We've got such a promising young spine it's such a shame to see the odd few slating them after this.

If Maddison hits the ground running with us he'll be capped by Easter.

He had like 3 months of first team football when Mourinho took over. Perhaps with a different manager he’d have been the new Michael Owen but it’s too small a size on which to judge.

I have to say I really don’t see it and I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not in the World Cup Squad in four years’ time. He’ll be overtaken by the likes of Sancho and possibly Lookman before the next Euros and then who knows who will emerge after that.

24 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

You heard his team talk did you?

Fvckin hate our English blame culture 

No, I worked it out from how we played in the second half. Pretty obvious really. We attacked them and looked to be well on top. Second half we should have carried on trying to kill them off, early subs etc. Keep pushing them. Southgate will never win anything as an england manager because his philosophy is not losing . We’ve scabbed a semi final and bottled it against the first decent side we’ve met. Four years time, Brazil Germany and Spain will produce better player than they’ve already got, we won’t, this crop of players are expected to get better and deliver, but they won’t because they’re already as good as they’re going to get. For us to win the World Cup we need a mahrez

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

Heads up England! 

That was a 50/50 match, that could just as easily have been an England win, but them Croatians are some gritty ****ers. You have a young and exciting team with more exciting youth coming through. The future is very bright and I am sure you will be a major team in international football for a while now. This is the hurt that will make you stronger! Enjoy the ride! 

I'm gutting for your guys but mostly because I think England played well for the whole tournament until the Croatia goal. Then it somehow when back to 'old England' re calmness and style of play whereas it didnt v Tunisia (albeit different opposition). You're better than that.

Lot of positive throughout the tournament and think you'll do well no matter who the opposition in Qatar.

Southgate can be proud how this tournament went but I think he must learn you need more the one formation to play, I think it was clear like tonight and against Colombia that the 3-5-2 as good as it was at times, at times starting to wear off after half time. 

I mean tonight 60th minute, he could have looked at the squad, gone realised that Walker was little suspect and on yellow, Trippier was beginning to tire and to think I need my wingers further down the pitch putting crosses into my strikers. Even go to 4-4-2, perhaps looking at playing Young and Sterling on the wings. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

No, I worked it out from how we played in the second half. Pretty obvious really. We attacked them and looked to be well on top. Second half we should have carried on trying to kill them off, early subs etc. Keep pushing them. Southgate will never win anything as an england manager because his philosophy is not losing . We’ve scabbed a semi final and bottled it against the first decent side we’ve met. Four years time, Brazil Germany and Spain will produce better player than they’ve already got, we won’t, this crop of players are expected to get better and deliver, but they won’t because they’re already as good as they’re going to get.

How did Brazil, Germany and Spain get on this year?

It's not coming home :( 

To lose in that manner sucks but we only have ourselves to blame. They bottled it tbh, missed chances and lazy defending cost us. Walker and Stones switching off cost us but unfortunately both have it in them.

Last 10 mins of the first half Croatia started to get on top, they continued that momentum into the second half and we just went to shit, that continued through to extra time and as painful as it is to say, we deserved to lose.

I'm optimistic of what's to come though, we have some good players coming through, those at this World Cup were good but some of them just don't have it in them.

• Thanks 1

Shame we never took the odd chance we had in the first half to go 2 up.

Second half the midfield and defence were way to deep and mistakes were being highlighted.

Injury time a chance for each team Stones off the line and the Croatian forward took his well.

England got further than I originally thought they would (albeit an easier draw with the amount of high profile teams either not qualifying or going out)

Its a young side that gave it their all, they will grow together and learn for 2 years time.

Just some small things irritated me tonight, Rashford I lost count the amount of times he ran with his head down and went straight down a blind alley to nowhere.

And this may not go down well but as much as he may win the golden boot Kane has had an average tournament, don’t think he has been great any of the games he played.

• Like 1

We can all agree that we've done really well to get as far as we did but even so, tonight's result has really annoyed me.

Anyone could see that after about half an hour of the game Croatia we're getting to grips with our style of play but throughout the rest of the game we did nothing to change it.  What was it, one shot on target in 90 minutes??

We know that our strengths are on set plays.  But you don't get corners and free kicks in good areas if you don't attack.  We barely got into the final third for the last hour of the game so then our best route to goal (set plays) was totally cut off.  

Plan A had sufficed to get us through a rubbish group and grind out wins against semi decent sides in Colombia and Sweden but we were easily undone by a team with any real quality in it. 

Like I said, great run and fantastic entertainment but we aren't as good as we think we are.  I don't read in to the fact that we got to the last four like I don't read anything in to FIFA rankings.  We got lucky to get where we did in this tournament. 

Having said all that, we are improving so that's a step in the right direction. Defensively I think we are mostly solid.  But we've got no one good enough really to partner Kane and no creativity in midfield still (from open play).

Edited by kristianity77
  • Like 2

Not sure I'll be visiting here after England lose third place to Belgium on Saturday afternoon.

Some wonderful and promising emergent young English talents in this competition that showed great character and stepped up. Whilst Southgate's tactics may be questioned tonight, his emotional intelligence and man management cannot be doubted. A growing squad. England have to look forward.

That said, a comparatively easy group, in addition to Germany, Portugal, Spain, Brazil and Argentina all gone home and Belgium in the third place play off - plus Italy and Holland failing to qualify. Doubtful I'll ever see that scenario again in my lifetime and I plan to be around for a while yet. 

They didn't have enough to get past France anyway.

Both the Italians and the Dutch are rebuilding, Argentina and Germany too. 

England need to be there at Wembley on 12th July 2020. If you didn't already know, football's coming home (again).

23 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I know the truth mate.

We had the youngest and most inexperienced squad at the tournament. We were never going to win the WC and we over performed.

Why people have to moan and blame is a bit beyond me really. Not sure how that makes me blinded by nationalism?

Fair enough, mate. 

I was probably judging you by the company you were keeping - you know what they say about dogs and fleas. 

13 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Some of the foreign pundits seem to think England should challenge and win in Qatar ( a la Germany 2010 to 2014) thoughts?

I dont think its impossible, the U20 world cup winners should be coming of age.

Those U20 WC winners will all wither and die on the vine if they stay at their Premier League clubs. Hopefully some of them move abroad, like Sancho, and get regular first team football.

Thanks for the ride England. Unfortunately chose the wrong game to freeze. Croatia was very ordinary but made us panic every time they attacked. 

Midfield is our weak link, Alli and Lingard have basically gone missing most games and Henderson has had to work his nuts off. 

I like southgate but his substitutions are confusing. Bringing on Rose?, but Dier - guaranteed we would struggle and Vardy should have on when that fraud Sterling came off. 

Kane had chances to win, Stones free header was poor, you could tell from the spin on the ball he had messed it up, a bullet header scores. 

Hopefully I will be around in 2046 as with this midfield we will win nothing. Sorry to say it but it's true. 

To win a world cup I think you need to have at least two top strikers in your squad and be using them. Just so you can take as much pressure off the other as possible. Kane great tournament, poor game while strike partner tonight Sterling poor tournament, poor game. Vardy and Rashford did come on but should we have seen more of them?  Not forgetting Welbeck who to be fair as a decent England scoring record.

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, steflcfc said:

Shame we never took the odd chance we had in the first half to go 2 up.

Second half the midfield and defence were way to deep and mistakes were being highlighted.

Injury time a chance for each team Stones off the line and the Croatian forward took his well.

England got further than I originally thought they would (albeit an easier draw with the amount of high profile teams either not qualifying or going out)

Its a young side that gave it their all, they will grow together and learn for 2 years time.

Just some small things irritated me tonight, Rashford I lost count the amount of times he ran with his head down and went straight down a blind alley to nowhere.

And this may not go down well but as much as he may win the golden boot Kane has had an average tournament, don’t think he has been great any of the games he played.

Spot on. 

• Like 2

Over the whole of the game we were beaten by the better side.

I'm not too disappointed as I think we over achieved in the tournament as a whole, benefiting from the favourable draw. Will we progress from here ? I don't know, the sides of '90, '96 and the golden generation of Beckham , Owen etc had far more talent and they couldn't manage it.

We looked shattered. Sterling for all his good work, running etc is taking up the second striker role in a top international side and doesn't contribute goals, I'm sorry but that's not good enough. Iheanacho banged them in for Man City, hell I think I could with that midfield!. Alli tried his best,  Rashford came on and offered absolutely nothing and Southgate then brings Vardy on when Croatia are in the lead and sitting back, pointless. He should have been on earlier to try and relieve the pressure on the defence.

Southgate is a nice guy and has the media lapping up , obviously gets on well with the players but I think he's papering over the cracks a little.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Livid said:

Over the whole of the game we were beaten by the better side.

I'm not too disappointed as I think we over achieved in the tournament as a whole, benefiting from the favourable draw. Will we progress from here ? I don't know, the sides of '90, '96 and the golden generation of Beckham , Owen etc had far more talent and they couldn't manage it.

We looked shattered. Sterling for all his good work, running etc is taking up the second striker role in a top international side and doesn't contribute goals, I'm sorry but that's not good enough. Iheanacho banged them in for Man City, hell I think I could with that midfield!. Alli tried his best,  Rashford came on and offered absolutely nothing and Southgate then brings Vardy on when Croatia are in the lead and sitting back, pointless. He should have been on earlier to try and relieve the pressure on the defence.

Southgate is a nice guy and has the media lapping up , obviously gets on well with the players but I think he's papering over the cracks a little.

A lot