Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Belgium vs. England - The race for 3rd spot (14th of July)

If anything I'd rather lose purely to put to bed any niggling doubts about whether we could have gone all the way.

Certainly don't see though how any player could ever muster the motivation for this match.  Cruellest game in football.

3 hours ago, Tuna said:

More pathetic than the checkatrade trophy.

See you say that,  it the geniuses at the FA told us the Checkthedate Trophy would help us win the World Cup. It’s only been going 5 minutes and we’ve already made a semi final.

Best competition out there...

• Haha 1

For the fans the 3rd place play-off rubbish but for the players It has its benefits though ... i would think that the worse game to lose is a semi-final .. if you lose a final at least you experienced it and will be remembered for making the final.

To lose a semi- final must make you feel so empty and this game kind of re-focuses the players and they get to spend more time together to collectively get over the loss. If i were one of the players i would prefer this than packing my bags for the long-flight the next day after such a big loss. 

23 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

If anything I'd rather lose purely to put to bed any niggling doubts about whether we could have gone all the way.

Certainly don't see though how any player could ever muster the motivation for this match.  Cruellest game in football.

The motivation is clear for a footballer, medal for finishing third in the biggest tournament the sport has to offer, something no England international has bettered or equalled since 1966. If I was playing in it I’d certainly want to win it.

For the fans it’s a bit of a waste of time I agree. 

• Like 2

Hopefully could be a good game if both teams think **** it and go for it. I imagine the rest of the squad will be used. Would probably rather Vardy was left out so he can rest a bit after his injury but it would be nice to see him get a world cup goal.

I can't believe this game still exists though, no-one really benefits from it.

Could also post this in the unpopular opinions ....     I’m looking forward to it ! ...   have enjoyed this WC more than any other and if we can win this and finish on a high that will be as good as we can get for me.   One last footy blast.

Then, in a few weeks, the real stuff starts ! ....     :scarf:

• Like 2

The history of the third placed team at world cups has been varied to say the least.

Sweden, Turkey and Netherlands didnt even qualify for the folllowing world cup. Germany won it after finishing 3rd, Italy were finalists after finishing 3rd, etc.