Jump to content

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Problem with ‘little Leicester’ is that it feeds into the idea that players have to leave us in order to improve their careers. Hopefully under Rodgers, behind the scenes (having managed huge football clubs) he’s telling the players that we are a big club & they are world class footballers giving them that extra bit of confidence and motivation to do well. 

To be honest this has suited us too. The Short Term Cost Control rule (STCC 2013-2019) meant that despite our newfound wealth we couldn't actually increase our wage bill by more than £7m a year, so we really couldn't compete with the big clubs. Chelsea underpaid for Kante, overpaid for Drinkwater and got a COVID/Champions League discount on Chilwell; Man Utd paid a world record fee for Maguire; Man City tried to bully us in the January 2018 for Mahrez and we stood our ground because it was the last day of the winter window. 

 

That's a £200m+ profit on those players and we've replaced them for much cheaper and younger. And where are those players now? Below us in the table again. 

 

Next summer though we're in a unique position. If we learn from last season's collapse, and I believe we have, we'll be a regular top 6 Premier League teams with one of the world's best training facilities. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Probably best suited for the 'unpopular opinions' topic in Gen Chat but:

I'm not 100% sure I want us to be considered an 'elite club' - I like being the underdog who does successful things.

Look at how entitled some of our fans have got already, if we get 'too big' they'll be off the scale!

I’ve watched us for 40 years, and it’s very nice that we can compete with the bigger sides

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Probably best suited for the 'unpopular opinions' topic in Gen Chat but:

I'm not 100% sure I want us to be considered an 'elite club' - I like being the underdog who does successful things.

Look at how entitled some of our fans have got already, if we get 'too big' they'll be off the scale!

I had a look at the man United forum redcafe yesterday after the game and a huge percentage were absolutely livid they drew away to Leicester. in their minds they are man United and drawing or losing games even to top sides like us is completely un acceptable. 

 

Made me glad that like we still have a few fans with a degree of balance and perspective although the growing sense of entitlement grows bigger every season. 

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't be the only person who doesn't want us to be an "elite" club, can I?  I'd hate to be like United, Arsenal or Liverpool fans.  I'd hate it if it was even harder to get a ticket to games.  A small part of me enjoys the fact that we're constantly seen as upsetting the status quo over recent years, and if we did become a "massive" club then the achievement of 2016 would eventually be diminished.

 

I don't care if we're not spoken of in the same tone as the so-called "big six" if we're finishing above half of them in the league every year, no longer going bankrupt and staying in the top flight for the foreseeable future!

 

If you'd have told me in my teens (early nineties) that we'd be in this position now I would be absolutely delighted.  

 

I'm trying to think about an equivalent team in another European league that is successful and respected but not seen as one of the "main" clubs in its top flight.  Maybe Napoli or Fiorientina in Italy?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jimsmallman said:

I can't be the only person who doesn't want us to be an "elite" club, can I?  I'd hate to be like United, Arsenal or Liverpool fans.  I'd hate it if it was even harder to get a ticket to games.  A small part of me enjoys the fact that we're constantly seen as upsetting the status quo over recent years, and if we did become a "massive" club then the achievement of 2016 would eventually be diminished.

 

I don't care if we're not spoken of in the same tone as the so-called "big six" if we're finishing above half of them in the league every year, no longer going bankrupt and staying in the top flight for the foreseeable future!

 

If you'd have told me in my teens (early nineties) that we'd be in this position now I would be absolutely delighted.  

 

I'm trying to think about an equivalent team in another European league that is successful and respected but not seen as one of the "main" clubs in its top flight.  Maybe Napoli or Fiorientina in Italy?

Villarreal in Spain?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2018 at 21:37, Webbo said:

I actually thought we were in the top 10. Not as big as I thought.

This is urban areas, Leeds and Bradford and Southampton and Portsmouth etc are grouped together despite being different cities. The city of Manchester is nowhere near 2 million

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Speedwell 🦊 said:

1.I think savage is bellend.

2.I can’t watch BT Sport.

I think the coverage/Pundits are boring compared to Sky.

 

Having to listen to Sue Smith, Clinton Morrison, Glenn Johnson and Alan McInally, I would have the BT sports pundits all day

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OadbyBlue said:

This is urban areas, Leeds and Bradford and Southampton and Portsmouth etc are grouped together despite being different cities. The city of Manchester is nowhere near 2 million


I’ve had this discussion plenty. Leeds and Bradford (for example) aren’t grouped together when it comes to urban population. 
 

Greater Manchester is a metropolitan country, which is often seen as a City when compared to Leeds. However I believe Leeds is bigger than the City of Manchester. 
 

West Yorkshire (Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, etc) is a very similar size and make up of Greater Manchester.

 

The City of Manchester hangs on to the fact that ‘Manchester’ is in the name of the group of areas. Manchester isn’t technically a massive city at all.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

We can’t be ‘little Leicester’ with the best training facility in the whole of Europe(!) and having the 3rd highest paid manager in the league (?)!! 

I’m sure we can still be ‘little Leicester’ to a player’s agent negotiating with us for 50K/ week and a Big Money Six club for 90K/ week.

 

But weigh a few years of a top player (4% of the squad) against a top manager (who maximizes 100% of that squad) … much less facilities that do the same and last decades  … and suddenly your point comes into focus.  Our Club is wise in investing where it goes the furthest and lasts the longest.

Edited by KingsX
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dayday said:

Having to listen to Sue Smith, Clinton Morrison, Glenn Johnson and Alan McInally, I would have the BT sports pundits all day

But they also have.Paul Merson.Phil Thompson.Matt Le tiss etc.I know it’s a matter of opinion but I’d rather listen to the Gillett soccer Saturday lot,than Hoddle,Owen savage.

Like I say,it who you prefer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Speedwell 🦊 said:

But they also have.Paul Merson.Phil Thompson.Matt Le tiss etc.I know it’s a matter of opinion but I’d rather listen to the Gillett soccer Saturday lot,than Hoddle,Owen savage.

Like I say,it who you prefer.

Tommo, Le Tiss and I’m sitting there thinking Charlie Nicholas have been sacked 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is I'm more than happy with how we're perceived in the footballing world I just get frustrated when we don't turn up, it's not a lack of status or talent.

 

Most clubs are envious of us and we don't give ourselves enough credit sometimes.

 

You look at yesterday and we've drew with one of the biggest names in world football and we're still right to discuss how we might have won it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's probably best to just forget the whole "big" thing, and just talk about "success" instead.

 

If we win the league another 5 times, we still won't be "bigger" than Everton, Villa, Leeds or Newcastle say.   And they're not even in the so-called "big 6".    But who cares?

 

We've done alright for ourselves the last decade or so.  

 

Let's just continue what we're doing, try and qualify for Europe, and win the odd pot of silver ...   the respect will come our way in due course.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

It's probably best to just forget the whole "big" thing, and just talk about "success" instead.

 

If we win the league another 5 times, we still won't be "bigger" than Everton, Villa, Leeds or Newcastle say.   And they're not even in the so-called "big 6".    But who cares?

 

We've done alright for ourselves the last decade or so.  

 

Let's just continue what we're doing, try and qualify for Europe, and win the odd pot of silver ...   the respect will come our way in due course.

 

Absolutely agree with this.

All this "are we a big club obsession" means absolutely nothing.

We look huge if you are a Forest, Cov or Derby supporter! 

  • What we are these days is one of the top 20 clubs in Europe
  • What we are is a team that has progressed massively over the last 10 years on and off the pitch, more than any other club
  • What we are is a team/club who have given the supporters an unparalled experience i
  • What we are is a club with possibly the best owners in the world
  • Who wants to support "entitled" clubs like Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc
  • Being a Leicester City fan these days marks you out as pretty dam cool anywhere you go 

We have amassed a squad of very valuable players. The fact we can sell one per year and continue to improve is a helluva good business model and we are respected for how the club is run by Susan Whelan and team

 

We are a very lucky set of fans - no question

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...