Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Less than a month till the transfer window shuts!

31 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

We need another Centre back, creative centre mid (No.8), Left back, a replacement for & potentially a new striker imo.

We already have a big squad and can't just keep bringing players in that aren't an upgrade on the first team. We already have:

CB: Maguire and Evans

LB: Chilwell

No8: Silva

Strikers: Vardy and Iheanacho

The only positions that the quality is suspect is the three players behind Vardy. Maddison is obviously one of those but Gray, Albrighton and Diabate could probably be supplemented with a top quality player to rival their position and for me we're good to go.

• Like 1

Assuming we're going 4-2-3-1 - in rough priority order

Mahrez replacement of proven quality. As has been mentioned here Gray, Diabate and Albrighton is a mediocre pool at best (although i hope and expect Gray to kick on a bit this year as he is in last chance saloon)

Centre half 

Central Midfielder to play in the 2 of starting calibre. 

Striker adept at playing on his own (although I'd be prepared to give Slimani another chance - if he's not agitating for a move and prepared to play 2nd fiddle).

20 hours ago, Finley Parsons said:

Vardy

?????  Maddison  ?????

Silva Ndidi

Chilwell Maguire Evans Pereira

Schmeichel

I like your idea ... confuse our opposition by nameless wingers.... its a cunning plan!

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

We already have a big squad and can't just keep bringing players in that aren't an upgrade on the first team. We already have:

The only positions that the quality is suspect is the three players behind Vardy. Maddison is obviously one of those but Gray, Albrighton and Diabate could probably be supplemented with a top quality player to rival their position and for me we're good to go.

With the rumours going around about us playing 3 at the back, another centre back is a must imo.

Chilwell looked very suspect last season & if I’m completely honest I think he will struggle to run the left side by himself.

Silva is great however he’s our only option

of going forward in our centre mids & isn’t exactly a creative option more of a box to box midfielder.

Finally having 2 strikers simply isn’t enough in a squad. You should have 3 strikers all capable of playing at premier league level. It seems certain that Ulloa, Slimani & Musa don’t have a future here no more & Puel simply doesn’t seem to favour Okazaki.

I completely agree with what you are saying about not getting rid of the deadwood before we invest further as our weekly salaries must be ridiculous as it is. However this doesn’t mean we can’t improve in areas where I think we are either to light in terms of players or simply just not good enough in that position.

4 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

With the rumours going around about us playing 3 at the back, another centre back is a must imo.

Chilwell looked very suspect last season & if I’m completely honest I think he will struggle to run the left side by himself.

of going forward in our centre mids & isn’t exactly a creative option more of a box to box midfielder.

Finally having 2 strikers simply isn’t enough in a squad. You should have 3 strikers all capable of playing at premier league level. It seems certain that Ulloa, Slimani & Musa don’t have a future here no more & Puel simply doesn’t seem to favour Okazaki.

I completely agree with what you are saying about not getting rid of the deadwood before we invest further as our weekly salaries must be ridiculous as it is. However this doesn’t mean we can’t improve in areas where I think we are either to light in terms of players or simply just not good enough in that position.

Where are these rumours? I've only ever read them by posters with wishful thinking on here.

As for the strikers I'm sure we'll have at least one of Okazaki, Ulloa, Musa and Slimani still here on 1st September.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

So you'd be happy with Morgan on the bench?

8 minutes ago, Gerard said:

As for the strikers I'm sure we'll have at least one of Okazaki, Ulloa, Musa and Slimani still here on 1st September.

Only because we can't get rid?

If we need another striker then I'm not sure I want any of those.

15 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Where are these rumours? I've only ever read them by posters with wishful thinking on here.

Going off the signings we have made n the players we are being linked with the 5-3-2 option seems to be an option we are looking to use this season. 

I’m sure one of the strikers are here also but they need improving. Way too much deadwood at the club now & 2 strikers in a squad certainly isn’t enough.

12 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

So you'd be happy with Morgan on the bench?

I would 100% be happy with Morgan on the bench. His leadership skills are second to none & from what I’ve heard he’s really good with the younger lads.

However if we are to start playing out of the back, Wes personally makes me nervous when he gets on the ball lol 

2 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I would 100% be happy with Morgan on the bench. His leadership skills are second to none & from what I’ve heard he’s really good with the younger lads.

However if we are to start playing out of the back, Wes personally makes me nervous when he gets on the ball lol 

If he's on the bench he won't be team captain. 

I have no problem with him staying if he's a mentor but he's not good enough to play first eleven for long should we get an injury. I'm also wondering how happy he will be as a 4th choice squad player, would it cause problems?

7 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

If he's on the bench he won't be team captain. 

I have no problem with him staying if he's a mentor but he's not good enough to play first eleven for long should we get an injury. I'm also wondering how happy he will be as a 4th choice squad player, would it cause problems?

Make him Club Captain & make Kasper team captain. Keeps everyone happy that way. I doubt Wes isn’t daft, he would know that he’s getting older & slower. He knows the money he’s on here, he won’t get elsewhere. So when it comes to him being 4th choice & it causing problems. I don’t think it would 

Just now, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Make him Club Captain & make Kasper team captain. Keeps everyone happy that way. I doubt Wes isn’t daft, he would know that he’s getting older & slower. He knows the money he’s on here, he won’t get elsewhere. So when it comes to him being 4th choice & it causing problems. I don’t think it would 

Plenty of rumours on here about why Puel picked him ahead of Drago. A few claimed that Morgan forced the issue.

Slimani back to Sporting on loan...

http://sportwitness.co.uk/leicester-city-loan-deal-practically-set-player-taking-huge-big-wage-cut/

Leicester City loan deal ‘practically set’, player prepared to take big wage cut

By Lucas Sposito -

18th July 2018

The Portuguese press today brings two big stories about Islam Slimani’s possible return to Sporting CP.

One of them is written by newspaper Record, and even makes it to the front page. It says club president Sousa Cintra has been trying to get the player on a loan deal from Leicester City.

Record explains that it’s a complicated deal, since Sporting have no conditions of affording Slimani’s current salary. Still, the Portuguese club are very optimistic, and will use Slimani’s dissatisfaction at the Foxes as an argument.

The report insists that it will take a while until the clubs can find an agreement, especially because there are many other interested sides, so patience will be needed for the Lions.

Capturar-64-167x300.pngBut it sounds like newspaper Jornal de Notícias are one step ahead. They say that the loan deal is ‘pratically set’ between the clubs.

According to the outlet, Slimani is giving up on €700k from his €2.5m salary just so he can play for the Lions again, and that’s a huge development in the negotiations.

Both papers claim that all Slimani wants is to play regularly again. Since signing for Leicester City in 2016, he’s only made 46 appearances for the Foxes, and another four in his loan spell at Newcastle United.

My opinion is based on how recent form has been.

Basically our form was disastrous end of last season, meaning the combination of manager and players was not working for whatever reason.

We have kept the manager, this means an overhaul of players which so far has not happened.

3 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

As legit as the proven existence of Nessie.

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

My opinion is based on how recent form has been.

Basically our form was disastrous end of last season, meaning the combination of manager and players was not working for whatever reason.

We have kept the manager, this means an overhaul of players which so far has not happened.

We got a good RB, a creative CAM and a solid CB for two snickers and a pork pie.

How's that not an improvement? If we manage to snatch a good winger and sell some of the dead wood, I'd say it's been a great transfer window.

• Like 1

It would be a reasonable window if the team finished last season on a high, but it didnt.

Teams we looking to compete against like everton and west ham pushing for top half of table.

The creative CAM is very young and as such very high risk I feel, definitely needs to be another attacking player signed.

New CB ok signing.

New RB good signing.

Probably also need at least one more winger, keeper and a striker.

Silva has been very underwhelming for me, I like Iborra, but if he isnt favoured then we also need another midfielder.

34 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

We got a good RB, a creative CAM and a solid CB for two snickers and a pork pie.

How's that not an improvement? If we manage to snatch a good winger and sell some of the dead wood, I'd say it's been a great transfer window.

The way I look at it, what positions last season did we need to improve on. 

Defence, central midfield and the support striker. They were the immediate concerns. Then after that our wingers (Mahrez included) we probably had room for improvement at left midfield.

So far we have bought in Evans who is an improvement on Morgan but there's an argument we had Dragovic last season and that still wasn't enough to dislodge Wes. Pereira seems a genuine upgrade at right back and will improve our attacks as well as defence. Maddison brings much needed creativity as a support striker, he seems an improvement on Okazaki and possibly Iheanacho but he seemed to end the season very well behind Vardy. Maddison is a set piece beast though which we need.

We've since lost Mahrez, who was our most important player alongside Vardy. How on Earth do we replace him? Well we at least try for a start. We already needed to strengthen left wing, we also need to on the right as Albrighton, Gray and Diabate as a selection is one of the worst in the Premier League. That's two players needed.

We still haven't rectified our weaknesses in central midfield. We need to ship 2-3 out and bring in someone to play with Ndidi. I like Iborra, I hope Silva can do well too but there's question marks over both and to go in to the season without sorting it out would seriously question any supposed success in the transfer window.

Looking further ahead there's left back issues, backup goalkeeper and a number of fringe players in defence, midfield and attack that need to be moved on. All of that is obviously the perfect window, but there's still much to do to even class it as a successful window. Right now, losing Mahrez outweighs anything we've brought in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The way I look at it, what positions last season did we need to improve on. 

Defence, central midfield and the support striker. They were the immediate concerns. Then after that our wingers (Mahrez included) we probably had room for improvement at left midfield.

So far we have bought in Evans who is an improvement on Morgan but there's an argument we had Dragovic last season and that still wasn't enough to dislodge Wes. Pereira seems a genuine upgrade at right back and will improve our attacks as well as defence. Maddison brings much needed creativity as a support striker, he seems an improvement on Okazaki and possibly Iheanacho but he seemed to end the season very well behind Vardy. Maddison is a set piece beast though which we need.

We've since lost Mahrez, who was our most important player alongside Vardy. How on Earth do we replace him? Well we at least try for a start. We already needed to strengthen left wing, we also need to on the right as Albrighton, Gray and Diabate as a selection is one of the worst in the Premier League. That's two players needed.

We still haven't rectified our weaknesses in central midfield. We need to ship 2-3 out and bring in someone to play with Ndidi. I like Iborra, I hope Silva can do well too but there's question marks over both and to go in to the season without sorting it out would seriously question any supposed success in the transfer window.

Looking further ahead there's left back issues, backup goalkeeper and a number of fringe players in defence, midfield and attack that need to be moved on. All of that is obviously the perfect window, but there's still much to do to even class it as a successful window. Right now, losing Mahrez outweighs anything we've brought in.

It all depends on expectations. I didn't expect much from last season and not really much more for this one. For me, it would be a tremendous achievement if we get to the top 8, tbf.

We (seemingly) massively improved in three crucial areas but the loss of Mahrez is obviously a big blow no matter what some fans, who took pleasure in making him responsible for all the misfortunes and evil of the world, might say. Simply put he's a one-off and I don't want Maddison to be forced to fill the latter's boots. We can't won't replace him with just one player unless we're very, very lucky, which will force us to rely on the whole team to create something, rather than putting everything on the shoulders of one player.

It naturally depends on how the players you mentioned will turn up this season. Diabaté is still rough but has undoubtedly potential. Chilwell ain't the finished product either but I'm willing to give him his chance this season. Gray is with the back on the wall, it will be a make or break and if he doesn't significantly improve his game, we might consider selling him next summer.

As for the midfield, it is indeed a big headache but good (and affordable) CMs don't grow up on trees. And they're not cheap. It's also not guaranteed that Iborra will even be here at the end of the window and Silva is for the moment a big unknown. 

We obviously are at a crossroad and depending on how Puel will manage this team and if the players confirm their potential. I think we will add one more winger (necessary) and maybe a CM. i We still have enough quality to maintain ourselves in the PL next season should things come to worse though. 

Pretty excited to see how thing pan out.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, That_Dude said:

Also I wouldnt call it great when we have lost our best player, even if brought in 10 players, we lost mahrez, let that sink in, we lost mahrez.

On 18/07/2018 at 10:28, Gerard said:

Is No8 a new position? 

To be honest i can't believe we havn't signed any attacking players bar Maddison, you'd of thought with the influx of players we've signed Puel would of wanted in key/players going straight into the lineup straight away to try and A) get them used to his style and B) obviously giving them a decent pre season getting to know the club/squad. I don't want to rip into players but if we're relying on Albrighton, Gray, Diabete and Ihenacho to try and make the difference i think we're in big big trouble, literally 0 consistency there (Attacking wise). The only reason i could think of was if he was after players at the world cup but you would of thought we'd of heard something but still nothing, could you imagine if Vardy got injured we'd be ****ed. I just hope over the weekend/next week we hear something from a attacking sense. That said i'm happy with the signings he has made so far, on paper he has improved the starting 11 iets hope he continues that with players going forward as well.