Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Danny Ward - 12 Million

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Doubt it, if he couldn't compete with the likes of Karius and Mignolet.

Perhaps Klop just didn’t fancy him. I can remember everyone crying out for Pearson to play Albrighton when we losing games but he wouldn’t . He eventually played him and the rest is history . Even Sir Alex Ferguson made mistakes so there is always s small chance . Add to this the Liverpool fans were crying out for him to be played last season or given a chance so he can’t be that bad 

50 minutes ago, Bert said:

Although Abrasive has mentioned Kasper doesn't want to play for Puel, so there's got to be something there. 

As far as i can remember. AF mentioned a big bust out between the two at the end of the last season and Kasper didn't (want to) play again although his injury was healed a long time ago.

Edited by That_Dude

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

First choice doesnt want to play for Claude....interesting times ahead.

The knock on effect this may cause with Vardy and Maguire is deeply worrying. I'm still not sure the Thai's won't fcuk Puel off before the start of the season if needs be.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The knock on effect this may cause with Vardy and Maguire is deeply worrying. I'm still not sure the Thai's won't fcuk Puel off before the start of the season if needs be.

I really do hope so.

Is Wenger busy at all?

Edited by Nick

2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

I'm no huge defender of Puel (strangely I'm still undecided) but that's a real problem if that's true. You can't have players doing that. If he won't play then don't pay him.

Just now, Dan LCFC said:

I'm no huge defender of Puel (strangely I'm still undecided) but that's a real problem if that's true. You can't have players doing that. If he won't play then don't pay him.

I recall the matches when Kasper was reportedly injured that he was still hanging around the players dressing room, clapping them when they came in at the end of the match, etc. Surely if were that anti he wouldn't have been doing that?!

I’ve been following Ward ever since his loan spell at Aberdeen, The lad is one hell of a shot stopper. Despite the negativity on here I think this is a good signing. I don’t think Ward is a replacement from Schmeichael, Percy is always spot on when it comes to us so I have my trust in him.

it does amaze me though how I seen so many people post, saying Southampton have done brilliant business bringing Gunn in for £10m & that we missed a trick there. Yet imo, we are bringing in a keeper who’s at the same level as Gunn & people are moaning about the fee!!! lol Fans on here can be so fickle.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I recall the matches when Kasper was reportedly injured that he was still hanging around the players dressing room, clapping them when they came in at the end of the match, etc. Surely if were that anti he wouldn't have been doing that?!

He's a massive part of this club and has been for years and you can tell LCFC means a lot to him.... just because he's not keen on the gaffer doesn't mean he can't or won't support his team mates and more importantly, friends. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I’ve been following Ward ever since his loan spell at Aberdeen, The lad is one hell of a shot stopper. Despite the negativity on here I think this is a good signing. I don’t think Ward is a replacement from Schmeichael, Percy is always spot on when it comes to us so I have my trust in him.

it does amaze me though how I seen so many people post, saying Southampton have done brilliant business bringing Gunn in for £10m & that we missed a trick there. Yet imo, we are bringing in a keeper who’s at the same level as Gunn & people are moaning about the fee!!! lol Fans on here can be so fickle.

The difference is, you'd probably expect Gunn to be number 1 there, whereas if Kasper is still here you'd not expect Ward to displace him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

I know he was very impressive for Huddersfield and apparently is still well liked by Liverpool but it seems a big risk to place faith in someone so inexperienced to replace Kasper. And if he's number two then £12m seems a lot and surely Ward himself is looking for a number one spot?

If he is a talent for the future, we can keep Kasper and have him learn under him for a couple seasons. In that light, the money is fine and his inexperience is being remedied.

Guys £10m-£12m is nothing. We spent £17m on Musa and he played 1 game all of last season. How long can we keep picking up keepers for £1m before we realise they're normally crap and nowhere near first team standard?

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Tanner has made the point very clearly on twitter and the merc that the club sees him as competition rather than number one, and that we want 3 senior keepers in the squad.

The pecking order of keepers as it currently stands would be Kasper, Ward, Jak.

If Kasper leaves, as he may well do, we will try to sign another keeper, no doubt about it.

And all of you need to calm your tits about him being Liverpool's 3rd/4th choice - Klopp was very clearly trying to manage mental state of his two senior goalkeepers and squeeze the best from them, rather than throw another one in at the deep end and damage their already fragile confidence. Obviously now it's the close season, he feels it is the best time to address it head on and is signing a cracking keeper for mega bucks, and is happy to let Danny move on to be guaranteed back-up instead of fight for their backup keeper spot with 2 others - solves a personnel problem gets a decent wedge of cash for it in the process. For all their flaws, Karius and Mignolet are perfectly serviceable backup keepers.

£10m for decent competition is fine by me (in this crazy inflated market), and personally I think he's a good keeper with a strong character from what I've seen and heard of him, which was a fair bit at Huddersfield. I'll think he'll be a good signing for us.

If Ward joins Leicester and Schmeichel stays, I can't see why Jakupovic would want to cling onto 3rd spot, apart from £££. Weren't there some news about him being dissatisfied last season due to the lack of match action? Ward would then clearly be seen as the one trying to push for the No.1 spot in the near future.

However, others have more or less failed at that (Hamer to some extent, but I'm thinking of Zieler in particular).

Also, what message does it send to Mignolet and Karius when you're suddenly downgraded to 2nd/3rd choice with the arrival of a £62m goalkeeper in the shape of Alisson (who is under pressure himself to make an immediate impact)? Surely that's going to do them the world of good with their confidence levels?

And as far as Rob Tanner is concerned, I'd take everything he says with a huge pinch of salt. The Mercury has become a mouthpiece for the club in recent months, and I don't trust that propaganda machine at all any longer.

Edited by MC Prussian

9 minutes ago, vanity said:

If he is a talent for the future, we can keep Kasper and have him learn under him for a couple seasons. In that light, the money is fine and his inexperience is being remedied.

He's 25 and been at Liverpool for six years "learning" off their various GK's. He won't want to be coming here to "learn" off Kasper. 

I don't know how good he is but he signed for £100,000 from Wrexham six years a go and has made two PL appearances and not managed to force his way into the Liverpool side after finding himself  behind Karius, Mignolet and now Allison. 

Now we're apparently paying £12m for him and if that's the case he'll be coming as first choice, we don't pay that kind of money for GK's to sit on the bench. If he does come here then I only hope someone really knows what they're doing especially when the far higher rated and same age Butland is crying out for a move. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

If Ward joins Leicester and Schmeichel stays, I can't see why Jakupovic would want to cling onto 3rd spot. Ward would then clearly be seen as the one trying to push for the No.1 spot in the near future.

However, others have more or less failed at that (Hamer to some extent, but I'm thinking of Zieler in particular).

And as far as Rob Tanner is concerned, I'd take everything he says with a huge pinch of salt. The Mercury has become a mouthpiece for the club in recent months, and I don't trust that propaganda machine at all any longer.

Does Jakupovic have much say in the matter? He's under contract and probably on a half decent wage. Despite his reasonable ability, I doubt he'll have many suitors. I think we'd only let him leave if he kicked up a big fuss. The true extent of Ward's quality remains to be seen, but I'm glad we've got (or at least are trying to get) a young, hungry, talented keeper to step into the breach if required.

All evidence suggests we want 3 senior keepers based on the make-up of our previous squads. I met Tanner and went along with him to our training ground a few years ago when I did some work experience at the Mercury (I spoke with Chris Powell & Yann Kermorgant - both lovely fellas), and whilst I would certainly agree there is a bit of 'give and take' with regards to his relationship with the club, he struck me as a bloke with decent integrity. Can you point me to something Tanner has said in recent months with regards to the club's position on an issue that turned out to be a falsehood? 

Just now, egg_fried_rice said:

Does Jakupovic have much say in the matter? He's under contract and probably on a half decent wage. Despite his reasonable ability, I doubt he'll have many suitors. I think we'd only let him leave if he kicked up a big fuss. The true extent of Ward's quality remains to be seen, but I'm glad we've got (or at least are trying to get) a young, hungry, talented keeper to step into the breach if required.

All evidence suggests we want 3 senior keepers based on the make-up of our previous squads. I met Tanner and went along with him to our training ground a few years ago when I did some work experience at the Mercury (I spoke with Chris Powell & Yann Kermorgant - both lovely fellas), and whilst I would certainly agree there is a bit of 'give and take' with regards to his relationship with the club, he struck me as a bloke with decent integrity. Can you point me to something Tanner has said in recent months with regards to the club's position on an issue that turned out to be a falsehood? 

I'm not implying that the Mercury (or Rob Tanner for that matter) are spreading false rumours or that they don't possess any integrity whatsoever, what I meant is that their stance on "sports journalism" is more and more turning out to be churning out propaganda pieces for the club, with a clear emphasis on "collaboration" instead of "investigation". I find that in parts infuriating and tragic at the same time. The Mercury in my eyes (at least the sports section) is living off a Premier League club's reputation these days. Not that classic journalism in general is in crisis, anyway.

16 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Guys £10m-£12m is nothing. We spent £17m on Musa and he played 1 game all of last season. How long can we keep picking up keepers for £1m before we realise they're normally crap and nowhere near first team standard?

The difference is Musa came here as a first team player. We would have expected him to play a lot of minutes in a season.

A reserve GK is a completely different animal to an outfield player, the only game time you expect your No2 to get is some early cup matches. GK's don't tend to get injured that often as there is less strain on their legs as they don't move about as much.

Genuine question but how many times in the history of the game has a GK been signed by any club in the world for £12m to come as a reserve? Anyone think of any example?

2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

We all know Kaspers game here, refuse to play for Puel so Ward becomes number 1 for a couple months. By december Kasper is reinstated as number 1 when Pearson returns :ph34r:

:pearson:

Sorry couldn’t resist (obviously want Puel to do well and Kasper to stay). Hope this is just a replacement for Hamer. 

3 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

FWIW, I reckon Kasper will leave, and that we'll be in for Butland when he does.

Should he leave, that would be a realistic and sensible scenario. With Butland and Ward, we'd be pretty much stacked in terms of goalkeeping quality (no disrespect to Jakupovic).