Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Danny Ward - 12 Million

8 minutes ago, Gerard said:

The difference is Musa came here as a first team player. We would have expected him to play a lot of minutes in a season.

A reserve GK is a completely different animal to an outfield player, the only game time you expect your No2 to get is some early cup matches. GK's don't tend to get injured that often as there is less strain on their legs as they don't move about as much.

Genuine question but how many times in the history of the game has a GK been signed by any club in the world for £12m to come as a reserve? Anyone think of any example?

Bit irrelevant to talk about keeper prices considering in the last 2 years there's been 2 record breaking prices, the first for £35m and one this year for £62m. Prices rise. How often do international goalkeepers move from one Premier League club to another? And how many of those have been since the Ederson transfer?

Edited by Beechey

To be fair, there’s a lot of noise coming out of the club via the journalists who are actually close to KP eg John Percy, stating he is not a replacement for Kasper. I’m a little happier that I was a couple of hours ago. 

If we take the info we glean as read from the more reliable sources, on the face of it, swapping Hamer for Ward, seems to have strengthened us.

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

The difference is Musa came here as a first team player. We would have expected him to play a lot of minutes in a season.

A reserve GK is a completely different animal to an outfield player, the only game time you expect your No2 to get is some early cup matches. GK's don't tend to get injured that often as there is less strain on their legs as they don't move about as much.

Genuine question but how many times in the history of the game has a GK been signed by any club in the world for £12m to come as a reserve? Anyone think of any example?

A strong reserve keeper is necessary if you're a club with ambitions of competing across numerous tournaments. I'll think he first choice in both cups.

Your question on fees is a tad misleading, due to the recent rapid inflation of player costs across the board. We've seen Gunn go for the same amount this window, and are about to see Alisson more or less double the previous record for Ederson, which was itself only set last season after Buffon had it for yonks. As as already been pointed out in this thread - you'll start to see both first choice keepers and backups moving for significantly inflated amounts from here on in, as we've already seen with outfield players.

Obviously you'll have your own options on his quality as a player, but please calm down about the fee - I'm concerned you'll do yourself an injury lol

12 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Barcelona are the ones that come to mind. They signed Ter Stegen and Cilensen for rotation, and once had Ter Stegen and Bravo in tandem.

Their strategy has been to have one goalkeeper for La Liga and one for all cup competitions. However, the difference is that Barcelona literally play 2x the games that Leicester do in a season due to their progress in European and domestic cups.

2 hours ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Just to be pedantic - Man City away last year? Chelsea at home? Don’t get me wrong I love Kasper, and I definitely don’t want him gone, but he does have a mistake in him - every keeper does (see De Gea in World Cup etc...) :)

I'm talking the throw ball in own net, ball slipping through legs type errors. Most of his are positional, rather than that sort.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

To be fair, there’s a lot of noise coming out of the club via the journalists who are actually close to KP eg John Percy, stating he is not a replacement for Kasper. I’m a little happier that I was a couple of hours ago. 

If we take the info we glean as read from the more reliable sources, on the face of it, swapping Hamer for Ward, seems to have strengthened us.

The club would never admit they were contemplating selling Kasper as it'd weaken our negotiating position if a bidding war is on the cards.

• Like 1

Just now, Lovejoy said:

The club would never admit they were contemplating selling Kasper as it'd weaken our negotiating position if a bidding war is on the cards.

If you’re referring to Chelsea’s interest in Schmeichel, I’m not so sure they’re is too much mileage in this. They may enquire, but I genuinely don’t think he’ll end up there. As I’ve alreay said, I think he’s more likely to go to Roma than Chelsea. But we’ll see. 

Puel and Kasper probably have fallen out, but the owners letting Kasper leave is a completely different prospect. They won’t make it easy.

1 minute ago, egg_fried_rice said:

A strong reserve keeper is necessary if you're a club with ambitions of competing across numerous tournaments. I'll think he first choice in both cups.

Your question on fees is a tad misleading, due to the recent rapid inflation of player costs across the board. We've seen Gunn go for the same amount this window, and are about to see Alisson more or less double the previous record for Ederson, which was itself only set last season after Buffon had it for yonks. As as already been pointed out in this thread - you'll start to see both first choice keepers and backups moving for significantly inflated amounts from here on in, as we've already seen with outfield players.

Obviously you'll have your own options on his quality as a player, but please calm down about the fee - I'm concerned you'll do yourself an injury lol

Gunn has gone to Southampton to be first choice.

If Ward is coming here for big money to be a No2 then we deserve to lose money.

Just compare it to Real Madrid signing Lunin this summer for £7.65m, he's 19 and a Ukrainian international and widely tipped to become a world class goalie.

We sign a 25yo who was 4th in the pecking order at Liverpool for £12m.

I'd have no problems buying a Lunin type profile to come here as our No2 and hopefully force his way into the first team after a couple of years but Ward looks like his ceiling is bottom half PL. 

Maybe our scouts see his as an uncut diamond so I can't be too critical without evidence but on the evidence we have so far it just looks like awful business especially when you consider that Liverpool will have been desperate to offload one or two of their senior GK's. 

• Like 2

Here's a thought though on the whole "oh no 4th choice keeper" argument: With Liverpool persisting for so long with dodgy no. 1s and now willing to part with so much cash for a ready made keeper, can we really trust their judgement in this department? You all may be right I have to profess ignorance here, I'm just saying though.

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Barcelona are the ones that come to mind. They signed Ter Stegen and Cilensen for rotation, and once had Ter Stegen and Bravo in tandem.

Their strategy has been to have one goalkeeper for La Liga and one for all cup competitions. However, the difference is that Barcelona literally play 2x the games that Leicester do in a season due to their progress in European and domestic cups.

I actually thought of Ter Stegen as soon as I posted it.

He signed for Barcelona for £18m and the last two seasons has forced his way to their No1 GK. Looking at the two seasons before that when he signed as the No2 he still played 19 games and 21 games in the cup competitions so that amount of game time fully warranted his fee.

If Ward came here as a No2 then he might play less than half a dozen games all season which doesn't justify his fee. As I've said I could be on board if he was some young potential worldie but that isn't his profile at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

He signed for Barcelona for £18m and the last two seasons has forced his way to their No1 GK. Looking at the two seasons before that when he signed as the No2 he still played 19 games and 21 games in the cup competitions so that amount of game time fully warranted his fee.

If Ward came here as a No2 then he might play less than half a dozen games all season which doesn't justify his fee. As I've said I could be on board if he was some young potential worldie but that isn't his profile at all.

Yep don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a good idea for a club like Leicester at all, but I thought I would provide an example ;).

• Like 1

Ward will be being signed for the scenario that if Schmeichel wants to leave we have an able replacement and if he doesn't then we have a very able backup who will push Schmeichel. 

Now we could have got a dirt cheap backup goalie but it's more likely we want someone who ordinarily would be first choice if it was Kasper and therefore you'll be a decent amount for someone like that, this fee does seem on the high side though but football is mad right now. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

If you’re referring to Chelsea’s interest in Schmeichel, I’m not so sure they’re is too much mileage in this. They may enquire, but I genuinely don’t think he’ll end up there. As I’ve alreay said, I think he’s more likely to go to Roma than Chelsea. But we’ll see. 

Puel and Kasper probably have fallen out, but the owners letting Kasper leave is a completely different prospect. They won’t make it easy.

Don't think Roma could afford his wages. I also think any top 6 English club looking to sign a goalkeeper would be looking for someone better than Schmeichel if one was available. 

• Like 1

There was a lot of talk that Kasper was fit enough to play the last few games last season but wasn't picked.

If that's the case what's to say Puel isn't signing a keeper for a pre season shootout, whoever impresses most is number one for the start of the season.

Certainly wouldn't surprise me, especially if Puel has identified Ward as being good with his feet. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AjcW said:

There was a lot of talk that Kasper was fit enough to play the last few games last season but wasn't picked.

If that's the case what's to say Puel isn't signing a keeper for a pre season shootout, whoever impresses most is number one for the start of the season.

Certainly wouldn't surprise me, especially if Puel has identified Ward as being good with his feet. 

Or if he could come out to deal with crosses and command his area ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Something tells me your not a fan of this signing..... you must have as many posts on this thread saying so as the Percy twitter post lol 

• Like 1

We have 5-6 mature keepers of which 2 (3 inc Hamer last year) split the U23s development duties.

The fact that this guy has played on loan 70 times and twice for Liverpool suggests the path that the two U23s should be allowed to take to develop, both have better physical attributes.

Not much between a good/reasonable keeper and a great one, you don't become great and worth £10M in our U23s

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gerard said:

How many times in the history of the game has a goalie been signed for £67m?