Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Danny Ward - 12 Million

Just now, AKCJ said:

Liverpool season ticket holder I know wanted Ward to be their number one next season should they fail to get a new keeper.

Not hard to say when they have Karius & Mingolet as their other keepers. Both are error prone and it's been a running problem with Liverpool since Reina left

• Like 1

Just now, SpazticChicken said:

Not hard to say when they have Karius & Mingolet as their other keepers. Both are error prone and it's been a running problem with Liverpool since Reina left

Both Karius and Mignolet are at Kasper's level though.

All three and prone to horrendous errors and can produce moments of magic.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Gunn has gone to Southampton to be first choice.

If Ward is coming here for big money to be a No2 then we deserve to lose money.

Just compare it to Real Madrid signing Lunin this summer for £7.65m, he's 19 and a Ukrainian international and widely tipped to become a world class goalie.

We sign a 25yo who was 4th in the pecking order at Liverpool for £12m.

I'd have no problems buying a Lunin type profile to come here as our No2 and hopefully force his way into the first team after a couple of years but Ward looks like his ceiling is bottom half PL. 

Maybe our scouts see his as an uncut diamond so I can't be too critical without evidence but on the evidence we have so far it just looks like awful business especially when you consider that Liverpool will have been desperate to offload one or two of their senior GK's. 

There is no evidence to suggest Gunn will automatically be first choice. In fact, on the saints website he's quoted as saying “I want to push for the number one spot straightaway" so he clearly recognises that too.

Why do we deserve to lose money for signing a player we think will improve our squad?

You can compare it to Lunin if you like, but I won't because 19 year old supposed wonder goalies don't grow on trees, £7.65m (not forgetting the 5m add-ons) is a proportionally much greater amount of money to Zorya Luhansk that £10m is to Liverpool, and the lure of Real Madrid is several degrees larger than that of Leicester City.

On what basis do you say Ward's ceiling is bottom half PL? How much have you watched him play? How much have you watched Lunin play to think he's so much better? You could of course be right, but to say that's his ceiling seems baseless to me. 25 is still young for a keeper.

Just because Liverpool may have been pleased to get rid, doesn't mean we should be any less pleased to get him. Bids don't just go in blind these days. Availability is discussed along with ball park figures, before an official bid goes in. We've bid that amount because we thought he was worth it. Whether it pays off is a different matter, but all things considered I think this is a positive move by the club.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fleckneymike said:

I would say Kasper is comfortably better than both Karius and Mignolet. 

Watch Kasper put under the spotlight of a big club and you'll notice the media pick up on some of his goalkeeping a whole lot more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

There is no evidence to suggest Gunn will automatically be first choice. In fact, on the saints website he's quoted as saying “I want to push for the number one spot straightaway" so he clearly recognises that too.

Why do we deserve to lose money for signing a player we think will improve our squad?

You can compare it to Lunin if you like, but I won't because 19 year old supposed wonder goalies don't grow on trees, £7.65m (not forgetting the 5m add-ons) is a proportionally much greater amount of money to Zorya Luhansk that £10m is to Liverpool, and the lure of Real Madrid is several degrees larger than that of Leicester City.

On what basis do you say Ward's ceiling is bottom half PL? How much have you watched him play? How much have you watched Lunin play to think he's so much better? You could of course be right, but to say that's his ceiling seems baseless to me. 25 is still young for a keeper.

Just because Liverpool may have been pleased to get rid, doesn't mean we should be any less pleased to get him. Bids don't just go in blind these days. Availability is discussed along with ball park figures, before an official bid goes in. We've bid that amount because we thought he was worth it. Whether it pays off is a different matter, but all things considered I think this is a positive move by the club.

I've already said I haven't seen him play but neither has anyone else as he's played two PL games for Liverpool in six years. I'm judging him on his profile as a GK who did okay when on loan to the Championship and Huddersfield who didn't want to sign him when they got to the PL or the Huddersfield fans who thought he was no more than decent. He's 25 now, No2 to Hennesay in the Wales squad, failed to breakthrough at Liverpool so everything screams mediocre at this point.

I can compare Lunin to this transfer as Real Madrid have bought great potential and have paid less money than we will have. Whether Lunin would have come here or not is irrelevant and I suspect in time we'll see Real Madrid got far more bang for their buck than we will have had.

3 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Boring. Where are the attacking players? :( 

Now that is a very good question.  Perhaps we need to shift Musa, Leo and Islam first?  They will free up some serious wedge enabling Ruddy Rudkin do work his magic......?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spicer said:

12 Million for a backup GK? Surely that's incorrect

Yeah, Sky Sports say £10m not £12m so it’s incorrect :thumbup:

Edited by Izzy Muzzett

14 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I've already said I haven't seen him play but neither has anyone else as he's played two PL games for Liverpool in six years. I'm judging him on his profile as a GK who did okay when on loan to the Championship and Huddersfield who didn't want to sign him when they got to the PL or the Huddersfield fans who thought he was no more than decent. He's 25 now, No2 to Hennesay in the Wales squad, failed to breakthrough at Liverpool so everything screams mediocre at this point.

I can compare Lunin to this transfer as Real Madrid have bought great potential and have paid less money than we will have. Whether Lunin would have come here or not is irrelevant and I suspect in time we'll see Real Madrid got far more bang for their buck than we will have had.

Huddersfield did want to sign him, Liverpool turned them down. Also, you've said he did ok for them to suit your annoyance at this. Do you have evidence he was only ok? They got promoted and he was a wall in their two semi final games and the final. They had a weird goal difference that season but the general consensus was that he was superb for them and they wanted him to sign permanently.

LFC fans on Twitter pissing themselves / singing the praises of Michael Edwards (their Rudkin) for getting £10m for Ward.

I don't have a problem with the player but that seems like way too much for him even in this crazy climate. Surely we could pick up a similarly talented keeper for half of that?

Edited by Paddy.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Huddersfield did want to sign him, Liverpool turned them down. Also, you've said he did ok for them to suit your annoyance at this. Do you have evidence he was only ok? They got promoted and he was a wall in their two semi final games and the final. They had a weird goal difference that season but the general consensus was that he was superb for them and they wanted him to sign permanently.

Just seen a few Huddersfield fans on twitter saying apart from his play off exploits he was distinctly average for them and can't believe we're paying big money for him. They also claim Wagner didn't want to buy him after they got promoted. 

Plenty of Liverpool fans thinking they've had our pants well and truly down and laughing about it.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, rachhere said:

I recall the matches when Kasper was reportedly injured that he was still hanging around the players dressing room, clapping them when they came in at the end of the match, etc. Surely if were that anti he wouldn't have been doing that?!

You can't really read too much into what they do in front of the cameras in those situations I don't think. I couldn't imagine the players giving big hints that there's unrest in ways like that now.

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

I don't think Kasper is as good as some are making out.

He's suspect with crosses and is beaten too often from distance.

Don't think people are comparing him to Kasper. people are looking at a third choice keeper for Liverpool who couldn't get a spot over 2 keepers who have been inconsistent and pretty terrible from their own supporters points of views, hopefully this is for a number 2 spot because if it isn't i completely question our ambition going forward.

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Plenty of Liverpool fans thinking they've had our pants well and truly down and laughing about it.  

Liverpool certainly have a reputation for spotting goalkeeping talent. They would know !!

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Just looked on the Huddersfield forum after his exploits there. http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/106786/danny-ward-happy

Only looked at the first page and virtually everyone thought he wasn't good enough and these comments are last summer's after the promotion season. We're being mugged off again. :(

After Lossl's outstanding display and assurity yesterday, for all his heroics and contribution last season, would Danny Ward replace him if he came back?
Absolutely not a chance in hell mate
Would he heck

Funny, me and my friend were talking about Ward post Cardiff, and we both agreed he was the weak link in the squad. The one player that was just an average championship player rather than very good like the rest of the squad. After Wembley we both thought he was the best goalkeeper in the world.

Very impressed with Lössl yesterday much moreso than ever was with Ward. If Ward did return Coleman might as well pack his bags and move on without ever being given a real chance.

Wasn't hugely impressed with Ward last season despite his playoff heroics, and certainly not disappointed that he hasn't returned. Lossl looked very dominant in his box yesterday, something we've lacked in a keeper for a long time.

Not for me. He was adequate last season,we need better this season.

Danny Ward is a Town legend because of what happened last season, but Lössl is a far better keeper, so I doubt Town would even consider bringing him back now, Coleman is a decent backup too.

Can you imagine coleman coming in at old Trafford or anfield ? It would give me the shudders .. same a bit with ward to be honest for all his penalty exploits