Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Danny Ward - 12 Million

I just don't see the logic of spending £12m for a 25 yo GK to be a reserve to Kasper especially if it looks like we've spent another £2.5m on Jakupovic to be third choice. Even the really big clubs don't spend good money on their third choice keepers unless it's my default.

If he's coming here to replace Kasper then surely throwing another £10m at Butland who is the same age with far superior pedigree makes infinitely more sense? Unless our scouts think he's really an uncut diamond of a GK then this has bad business written all over it especially considering that Liverpool will be chuffed to bits to move any of their GK's on for good money once Allison arrives. 

I'm having a mini meltdown here. :blush:

Just now, Gerard said:

I just don't see the logic of spending £12m for a 25 yo GK to be a reserve to Kasper especially if it looks like we've spent another £2.5m on Jakupovic to be third choice. Even the really big clubs don't spend good money on their third choice keepers unless it's my default.

If he's coming here to replace Kasper then surely throwing another £10m at Butland who is the same age with far superior pedigree makes infinitely more sense? Unless our scouts think he's really an uncut diamond of a GK then this has bad business written all over it especially considering that Liverpool will be chuffed to bits to move any of their GK's on for good money once Allison arrives. 

I'm with you 100%. Really finding this one hard to fathom. 

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

You would have to also consider why he hasn’t been given a chance at Liverpool given the uncertainty that surrounded the gks over the last 2 seasons, if he was that good.

I don’t see what’s not to like. Unfortunately in the modern game £12m is the equivalent of about £5m 4/5 years ago - this guy is a good keeper and will be a long-term replacement for Kasper. 

Personally, this signing really pleases me as it shows once again that the club are already planning for the long-term future. Exciting times.

• Like 2

Just now, HankMarvin said:

You would have to also consider why he hasn’t been given a chance at Liverpool given the uncertainty that surrounded the gks over the last 2 seasons, if he was that good.

He was 3rd choice behind Karius and Mingolet last season. TBF there might not be a lot between the three of them but with Allison coming in you'd think Liverpool would be desperate to get rid of at least one or two of their GK's as they're overloaded in that department and paying good wages for nothing.

But fear not we're their knight in shining armour as we've waded in and offered to take their 4th choice for £12m. No wonder this hasn't dragged out like most transfers and they didn't look a gift horse in the mouth and took our first offer.

11 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Anyone know why Huddersfield didn't sign him permanently when they went up? 

Because Liverpool told him he had the chance to fight for number 1... they've lied to him twice now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

didnt Man Utd spend a about £2mil(could be less) on Lee Grant and hes going to be number 3 there, im sure other big clubs have spent as much as us on a  3rd choice......they us dont say how much theyve spent

maybe the club see him as a long term replacement for KS or something, in the that KS will go(in the next year or so) and Ward wouldnt kick up as much a fuss to get his chance to be number 1, since hes got more chance here than Liverpool.........but im guessing

10 minutes ago, Gerard said:

2.5m for a third choice goalie is hardly good money nowadays.

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

He was 3rd choice behind Karius and Mingolet last season. TBF there might not be a lot between the three of them but with Allison coming in you'd think Liverpool would be desperate to get rid of at least one or two of their GK's as they're overloaded in that department and paying good wages for nothing.

But fear not we're their knight in shining armour as we've waded in and offered to take their 4th choice for £12m. No wonder this hasn't dragged out like most transfers and they didn't look a gift horse in the mouth and took our first offer.

Third choice last season doesn't mean he was going to be fourth choice this season.

Perhaps he's confident enough to think he'll sooon be pushing kasper for first eleven and asked for a move.

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

Hopefully a replacement for Hamer not Schmeichel 

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

We're obviuosly not paying 12 million for him to be kaspers understudy. If Kasper goes then we need a decent backup for this guy!

1 hour ago, nwl fox said:

Would have thought this is more likely a replacement for Jakupovic, no?

Yes, I'm sure he will be a replacement for Hamer and Jakupovic - and Kasper's understudy.  We wouldn't be going for a Liverpool reserve (even if he has shown great potential), if Kasp was going - we'd be looking for an established and experienced (in a high level League somewhere) keeper.  The fact we're (reportedly) paying £12m for a Reserve, is simply the state of the market at the moment.

Edited by Outfox the Fox
  • Like 2

The quick movement on this might be more to do with the fact Kasper won't be back for a little while and it makes more sense having someone we actually want as back up in goal for pre season rather than Jakupovic.