Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Snik-Snok

Stadium Expansion Plan Meeting

2 minutes ago, DannyN83 said:

Just out of interest, from the pictures you saw, would you compare it to any other new stadiums out there, just to give us a bit of an idea.

I would think that important. The owners will want a unique feature that immediately identifies it as King Power, and not just an neon sign. Same for us as fans, a bit of an identity the world will recognise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bayfox said:

The train issue was raised at the last FCC it turns out the line is a different guage according to the club. So can't actually be connected to Leicester station.

Sounded bull to me but that was the explanation as it seems the club had looked into completing the set.

Plane.

Boat

4 Helicopters 

Train!!!!!!

You are spot on. It is complete Bulls***! 

6 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Train lines marked in white. Not currently feasible to link the two but if they can convince Soulsby who knows? Maybe they should build a monorail!

17F25ACC-F552-4BA8-A406-F3575EA2A3CA.jpeg

Never realised how close the main line goes to the ground. I have absolutely zero technical/engineering knowledge, but wouldn’t it just be simpler to add an additional station near the ground on the main line and only open it for match days? 

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Train lines marked in white. Not currently feasible to link the two but if they can convince Soulsby who knows? Maybe they should build a monorail!

Yep. That very neatly shows the line linking Southward. The North chord that would allow traffic to route towards Leicester and beyond was removed some time ago and the land is used by the factory units shown on your pic. Of course, with a hefty compulsory purchase and then re-instated track, points and signalling it could be done.  If I remember correctly, the plan to re-open the Coalville-Burton route would have replaced this piece of track and meant passenger trains would pass the back of the KP but, despite pressure from the local councils, Network rail and the government wouldn’t cough up any money towards the scheme. Of course, had it been a London commuter route things would have been different and we’d probably all have private carriages to wave at Jenny Agutter out of....

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Never realised how close the main line goes to the ground. I have absolutely zero technical/engineering knowledge, but wouldn’t it just be simpler to add an additional station near the ground on the main line and only open it for match days? 

It also looks like it runs incredibly close to the rugby ground, the station on the mainline would be useful for that as well if feasible.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I’ve always thought at some point in the future (probably after I die) there will be a monorail linking most of leicester like Leicester’s own overground transport system. Very costly I would imagine though.

15 minutes ago, wattolcfc said:

I’ve always thought at some point in the future (probably after I die) there will be a monorail linking most of leicester like Leicester’s own overground transport system. Very costly I would imagine though.

There was a plan for one in the 60s

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/6-incredible-schemes-could-transformed-1390204

• Like 1

Aside from the railway issue (which I don't think is going to happen - the cost are too high for a relatively low useage if we're talking about matchday travel - maybe 20 times a year), the plans (as much as we know about them) do sound very exciting!

An expansion to the stadium. which isn't just a "bolt on" stand, a hotel complex and indoor arena sound incredible!

Maybe they’ll find it by subsidising the line, then taking revenue from that also? Install duty free type shops at each station! Revolutionise our railway!! Maybe it’ll get linked to HS2! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Aside from the railway issue (which I don't think is going to happen - the cost are too high for a relatively low useage if we're talking about matchday travel - maybe 20 times a year), the plans (as much as we know about them) do sound very exciting!

An expansion to the stadium. which isn't just a "bolt on" stand, a hotel complex and indoor arena sound incredible!

If they were going to invest in the line then it would surely prompt authorities to stop dragging their heels over reopening up to Coalville etc. There's a definite economic case for regular services from NW Leics into the city.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

19 times a year for the Premier League. Add more for League and FA Cup games. And the Champions League of course :thumbup: 

plus, if England games here become a thing...

AND they’re probably still ambitious over it becoming a music venue too....

Could be well worth it one day!  

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

19 times a year for the Premier League. Add more for League and FA Cup games. And the Champions League of course :thumbup: 

Surely it would help enable the city's image to the rest of the country to be enhanced....I wouldn't miss the trudge to the Station on a damp winter evening :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

It wouldn't be done without catering for local commuter traffic from NW Leicestershire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Papasmurf said:

It'd beat standing still in a massive queue and then being crammed into a packed tiny train.

Well, plenty will still drive - whereas at somewhere like the Etihad it really isn't a sensible option. Plus the walk back to the main station is still a viable option with us too.

After last night's meeting I was hoping they'd be a bit more info finding it's way onto here today.  So far, piecing together the scraps of info, seems like they're planning a extension of about 10,000 seats on the East Stand, with an arena and a hotel, and that it all looks good (and might look from the outside like some gold coloured glass King Power building in Phuket).

What about the stand itself?  Will the extra seats just be bolted on behind the existing ones (like was done at Anfield), or somehow sit above (like the old double decker)?  Will the new roof hug the stand low enough to hold the noise in (as new stands with high open roofs can lose a lot of the noise)? Will it be designed to facilitate a possible further extension (i.e. potentially expand the North and/or South Stand later)?  Will the current seats in the East Stand remain as they are, or will there be some modifications to them too?  

I'm envious of you lucky guys that have seen what's planned.