Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

Barnes Pens New Deal Ahead Of West Brom Loan
Talented Leicester City youngster Harvey Barnes has signed a new four-year contract and will join Sky Bet Championship side West Bromwich Albion on loan for the 2018/19 season.
 Harvey Barnes
- Leicester City midfielder Harvey Barnes has signed a new four-year contract 
- The 20-year-old will also join West Bromwich Albion on a season-long loan 
- The England Under-20s midfielder made his senior debut in a UEFA Champions League game against Porto in 2016 
- Barnes could make his West Brom bow against Bolton on 4 August

The 20-year-old Academy graduate, who has been with the Football Club since the age of nine, made his senior debut in the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League and impressed on loan with MK Dons in League 1 the same season.

He will now join up with Darren Moore’s West Bromwich Albion side as they look to mount a promotion challenge from a highly competitive division for 2018/19.

Expand photo Harvey Barnes
Barnes scored a number of impressive goals for Barnsley.

England Under-20s international Barnes has already experienced Championship football, having played 23 times and scored five goals for Barnsley in the division last season.

He then returned to the Leicester City fold, where he appeared five times for Claude Puel’s side in the second half of the campaign.

Barnes underlined his promise with a series of eye-catching performances in the MK Dons midfield in 2016/17, when he scored six times in just 21 appearances before ending the season as top scorer for England Under-20s in their triumphant Toulon Tournament campaign.

Expand photo Harvey Barnes
He is also one Academy graduate to have represented the Club at UEFA Champions League level.

Having made his Leicester City debut away to Porto in the UEFA Champions League earlier that season and being named Development Squad Player of the Season, his progress has continued.

Along with his experience with Leicester City and Barnsley, Barnes also won the Premier League 2 Player of the Month award for his outstanding displays in March.

He will be eligible to make his West Bromwich Albion debut in a home Championship fixture against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday 4 August.

https://www.lcfc.com/news/788367/barnes-pens-new-deal-ahead-of-west-brom-loan/press-release

• Like 2

I really don't understand why we bother with the academy it seems a complete waste of time for the number of players that actually get a decent chance in the first team, but it's good to know we a run an excellent feeder programme to the lower leagues, they must love us :) 

29 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

He signed a new deal last summer. Was the new one really necessary? lol

Id say that there was probably a couple more clauses added to 'protect our investment'

On 24/07/2018 at 14:03, southfox66 said:

I really don't understand why we bother with the academy it seems a complete waste of time for the number of players that actually get a decent chance in the first team, but it's good to know we a run an excellent feeder programme to the lower leagues, they must love us :)

In the last few years we've produced Chilwell, Schlupp, Moore,  Barnes and Choudhury.

Schlupp sold for £14m and we could probably sell the other three for £36m tomorrow if we put them on the market. That's £50m it's earned the club in the last few years.

We can also count Andy King as an academy product who has given us a decade of service and may still command a decent transfer fee.

• Like 1

Good news all round. His first team appearances for us last season probably came a bit too soon, but he seems to have impressed in his other loan stints.

Hopefully he can kick on in a side challenging for promotion back to the Prem, then we'll have a bit more of an idea of whether he'll become a regular for us. Exciting times.

1 hour ago, southfox66 said:

Barnes is still only 20 and he’s had first team appearances for us. We’re about to see a whole crop of Academy and U23 players making the leap up this year. I feel that we’re actually making great use of it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

He signed a new deal last summer. Was the new one really necessary? lol

I'd assume it's a wage rise befitting the level he's now going to be playing at, it'd be a bit weird him being a regular starter at a club where his teammates are paid 4 times as much as him.

On 24/07/2018 at 14:03, southfox66 said:

I went to meeting at the KP last season and the head of our academy - his name escapes me! - was speaking and he said the Thais gave him a job description of getting one academy player into the first team each season. Last season Choudhury did just that, the season before both Barnes and Chilwell did that and there’s plenty coming through that also look promising so I’d say that they’re doing pretty well at the minute.

• Like 2

On 24/07/2018 at 09:07, UPinCarolina said:

Barnes is still only 20 and he’s had first team appearances for us. We’re about to see a whole crop of Academy and U23 players making the leap up this year. I feel that we’re actually making great use of it!

Add to that Gray (just turned 22),  Diabate and Chilwell, and we’re really giving the youngsters a go. 

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 18:50, HoustonFox said:

Add to that Gray (just turned 22),  Diabate and Chilwell, and we’re really giving the youngsters a go. 

Always good to see young players being given 1st team opportunities but Gray and Diabate are NOT products of our Academy or Development. Two separate discussion points..... IMO