Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

I think Maddison and Barnes behind Vardy or Iheanacho could be very interesting, to use one of Puel’a favourite words. 

Currently we aren’t getting Maddison on the ball enough in attacking areas and that’s got to be partly because Ndidi is an atrocious passer and Mandy tries to keep things simple, there’s not enough quick passes to stretch the opposition and find Maddison to turn and drive.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Maddison and Barnes behind Vardy or Iheanacho could be very interesting, to use one of Puel’a favourite words. 

Currently we aren’t getting Maddison on the ball enough in attacking areas and that’s got to be partly because Ndidi is an atrocious passer and Mandy tries to keep things simple, there’s not enough quick passes to stretch the opposition and find Maddison to turn and drive.

Better players than Iheanacho. On paper a round peg for a round hole and as we have virtually given away 3 strikers our only real option. Madison and Barnes behind Vardy sound promising without Ian trailing behind sound promising

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If Puel is determined to play a 4-2-3-1, best way to be successful for me is to get Maddison playing the box to box role of the 2 and get either Ndidi or Mendy holding and get Barnes in the team at 10. Play Gray left wing and Pereira right wing. 

The ideal would be a 3-4-2-1 with Barnes and Maddison behind Vardy but it’s just not gonna happen. 

5 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

If Puel is determined to play a 4-2-3-1, best way to be successful for me is to get Maddison playing the box to box role of the 2 and get either Ndidi or Mendy holding and get Barnes in the team at 10. Play Gray left wing and Pereira right wing. 

The ideal would be a 3-4-2-1 with Barnes and Maddison behind Vardy but it’s just not gonna happen. 

Is Maddison really an 8 though? I don't see enough in his game to play the combative box to box role but I suppose with enough complimentary players around him he could. I worry you're losing his ability in a deeper role though, he looks the perfect number 10 if we could just get him the ball in that area. I suspect Barnes would have just as much trouble for us as the majority of our possession is between all of our defence and the two holding midfielders, we invariably work it wide and the opposition have set their lines of defence and midfield and it peters out.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Is Maddison really an 8 though? I don't see enough in his game to play the combative box to box role but I suppose with enough complimentary players around him he could. I worry you're losing his ability in a deeper role though, he looks the perfect number 10 if we could just get him the ball in that area. I suspect Barnes would have just as much trouble for us as the majority of our possession is between all of our defence and the two holding midfielders, we invariably work it wide and the opposition have set their lines of defence and midfield and it peters out.

I know what you mean but often Maddison played as a box to box midfielder in a 4-1-4-1 formation at Norwich. Puel said he wasn’t a true number 10 but he feels he has the attributes to play there. I personally feel that Harvey is the more instinctive 10, he is a better dribbler of the ball and a much better finisher. 

The second point about the ball mainly being between our defence and the two holding midfielders is why I feel Maddison would benefit playing alongside Ndidi/Mendy in there, he’s a more combative player than Silva and is a more positive player in getting the ball forwards. I see a point where we need to get Gray/Barnes/Maddison in the same team and could see that as a legitimate way of getting the best out of all of them

• Like 4

A post on the West Brom forum.    A great ITK tale:ph34r:     Looking at the English Soyuncu may have posted it?

Take this how you will and I know it’s going to sound like one of those friends uncles grandads second cousin stories but... 

A guy I know and was talking to who is 
a LCFC fan is good friends with Trevor Peake, who is not part of the set up at Leicester, was told by TP that Harvey Barnes won’t be recalled in January as there are two others already higher thought of in front of him and unless they get injured nothing will change. I said I assume you mean Maddison and Gray, but he said no there’s two others, who I don’t know, that are ahead of him.. 

Could all be boll**ks mind.. just thought I’d share it though

18 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

A post on the West Brom forum.    A great ITK tale:ph34r:     Looking at the English Soyuncu may have posted it?

Take this how you will and I know it’s going to sound like one of those friends uncles grandads second cousin stories but... 

a LCFC fan is good friends with Trevor Peake, who is not part of the set up at Leicester, was told by TP that Harvey Barnes won’t be recalled in January as there are two others already higher thought of in front of him and unless they get injured nothing will change. I said I assume you mean Maddison and Gray, but he said no there’s two others, who I don’t know, that are ahead of him.. 

Yeah like they would be making that  decision in October

25 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

....going by Puel's train of thought it has to be Iborra and Silva!!!

27 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Diabate and Ghezzal 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, mozartfox said:

It's quite blatantly Amartey and Morgan. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

If he’s coming back with the intention of playing him, which seems to be the case, then I am all in for bringing him home and getting him involved.

However if he’s coming back to be a bit part player/not be involved then keep him at WBA. 

I guess if puel sees barnes as being Maddison's back up then he will want him back in case JM is unable to play for whatever reason. keep the same set up but swap the player. also, Maddison is struggling to maintain his performance later in games. maybe we see barnes coming on when JM has to be subbed if we are chasing a result (as opposed to shoring a game up). i think its better for the players development to stay at wba but from a club perspective, maybe him coming back would be better.  perhaps last jan's recall from Barnsley was to do with an expectation that we would sell mahrez when man city paid the dosh we wanted ??

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I guess if puel sees barnes as being Maddison's back up then he will want him back in case JM is unable to play for whatever reason. keep the same set up but swap the player. also, Maddison is struggling to maintain his performance later in games. maybe we see barnes coming on when JM has to be subbed if we are chasing a result (as opposed to shoring a game up). i think its better for the players development to stay at wba but from a club perspective, maybe him coming back would be better.  perhaps last jan's recall from Barnsley was to do with an expectation that we would sell mahrez when man city paid the dosh we wanted ??

We certainly aren’t blessed with game changers in the current squad and there’s still the potential to play them both, in just nervous he’d be the easy one to leave out of the XI each week and then it’s a waste of an incredible start to the season for him at Championship level. If we continue to do this to him it could hold him back both technically and mentally. I knows he’s a Leicester fan but he might want out if we duck him about. The end goal is surely to get him the finished article as quick as possible and in to our first team as he’s dynamite. Puel is supposedly a master at this with young players, I expect him to do right by Barnes.

53 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Scandalous to take him back in Jan. Lad is doing fine without sitting on our bench stagnating. Never in a million years will he want to return either whilst he's ripping it up for them?

You’d have to hope we think he’s now ready to be a star for us, but I fear it’d be like last January and we’d hold him back yet again.

• Like 1

D’you reckon there’s a chance we might say to WBA pay us an extra £XXXX and we won’t recall him? Could be a ploy to get more money out of them? Cynical I know but I just don’t see us actually recalling him again while he’s developing so much there... 

Actually we’re Leicester, of course I do lol 

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

Nick MacShitface claiming on Twitter that we are recalling him in January.   So he is not returning then.

That's funny I was with his Dad Paul last week and he said Leicester have not even mentioned anything about him coming back or staying. I think it's a decision they will make in January. A lot can happen between now and then . Injuries, suspensions,new signings, even a change of manager so I really don't think have decided one way or the other yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

That's funny I was with his Dad Paul last week and he said Leicester have not even mentioned anything about him coming back or staying. I think it's a decision they will make in January. A lot can happen between now and then . Injuries, suspensions,new signings, even a change of manager so I really don't think have decided one way or the other yet.

Christ I thought being called Nick Mashitter was bad enough but Paul?? lol 

One sounds like a Glaswegian annoyed at someone stealing his toilet and the other sounds like some requesting a weird sex move! 

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Christ I thought being called Nick Mashitter was bad enough but Paul?? lol 

One sounds like a Glaswegian annoyed at someone stealing his toilet and the other sounds like some requesting a weird sex move! 

Harvey Barnes' dad, Paul Barnes.

Not Nick Mashiter's dad lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, themightyfin said:

We need to be careful because one of the reasons Lawrence left was that we kept packing him on loan and then didnt speak to him for 6 months....