Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

Diabate has something about him but my god does he need to work on his end product.

Barnes clearly has something about him as well and an end product in terms of goals etc looking at his loan spells. But does that make him ready for the PL?

I think both Barnes and Diabate are at that stage where they're too good for the U23s but not quite good enough for the first team.

Both have shown flashes of good form for the first team but not enough to be considered on a regular basis. Barnes has benefited from two (and now hopefully three) good loan spells and I think Diabate needs a spell away from the club where he can get regular football and really play himself into some kind of form.

The potential is there for Diabate, and perhaps in a season or two both he and Barnes could be regulars for us in the Premier League.

3 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Diabate has something about him but my god does he need to work on his end product.

Barnes clearly has something about him as well and an end product in terms of goals etc looking at his loan spells. But does that make him ready for the PL?

What's clear about Barnes is, he seems less confident and assured of himself when he plays for us. It's as if he's trying too hard but when he's on loan he seems to score early on and then he settles down and does well. It's not as if it's a difference in class as he looked abysmal vs Fleetwood and Peterborough for us and he's been much better at Barnsley vs a better calibre of opposition.

• Like 1

Barnes still has time this loan spell will help if he plays 40 odd games for West Brom, Diabate needs a loan spell in the championship, definitely not ready we plucked him from the French Second division, he has got some ability you can see that in some stages, but I don’t think he is ready to start premier league games week in and week out. Impact player is all he is.

We definitely need to spend some money on a winger who is more proven, I am not saying he has to be at Mahrez’s level, but someone like Bailey, Thorgan Hazard, Betrand Traore would be a step up on what we have right now.

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Not everyone. I never rated Diabate, there's multiple posts from me months ago. E.g:

So don't say "everyone".

9 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I've never lavished that much praise on Diabate whatsoever, in fact I've said in the transfer forum I'd be genuinely worried going into next season with him as one of our wingers - he needs a loan. Never been convinced and would much rather we'd have pushed Barnes. 

Ta for bracketing me with a tonne of others though. 

I do mean a general consensus on the forum but good job! Besides Barnes seems a great number 10, the role Puel played him, but as a winger, especially when you're up against it, I'm not so sure about. He was on fire in Barnsley during their good run but as soon as their season went downhill Barnes didn't seem too useful. Diabate was criticised for being too selfless last season, but in these three pre season games he's tried to be a bit more creative, something I suspect Puel has suggested, and has yet to convince. But kicking out a hard working, if creatively lacking thus far, winger for a youth who's has a good pre season game against Coventry seems a bit much.

18 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Starts for the baggies today

Starts ahead of Oliver Burke as well who was a £15m signing for West Brom after excelling at Forest and moving to RB Leipzig. 

I know Burke is a winger and Barnes probably won't play wide but he's prefered in the three attacking midfielders in the formation. 

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Starting to think we should have kept him here, if we aren't signing anyone else.

Hope he does well though. good move for him personally 

Same. I'm still not sure he's a winger though. I want to catch some West Brom games this season.