Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

33 minutes ago, Shane said:

On the West Brom forum their fans seem to be worried because we’ve asked for a 10m loan fee in January otherwise we’ll recall? 

A 10M loan fee?!  In the Championship?!  And I can't believe we would bait-and-switch.

Surely fake news.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2018 at 15:34, Finnegan said:

I'm not sure I'd use the word judge. I appreciate that's the foxestalk default but it's not what I intend. Barnes could be brilliant at this level, could have a big future in the team. 

But the few times we've seen him step up in to the first time he's just looked very nervous. That's completely understandable and no reason to write off a, basically, child. 

But it is a good indication that he'll benefit more from a great lone spell out at a big championship club, where he's tearing it, where they love him, than being here. Here he'll get inconsistent game time in an inconsistent team, changing positions every two minutes for a manager that doesn't have a clue what his best side is or what system he wants to play. 

You want the best for Barnes? Leave him out there, forget about him this year. He's not the answer for us and we aren't the answer for him. 

Agree with you. It is best to leave Barnes at West Brom for the rest of the season. If I were him, I would be gutted to leave mid season after playing such a central role and so well. I would definitely want to help West Brom get promotion instead of coming back, like last season, just to sit on the bench or train with senior players. 

• Like 2

On 08/10/2018 at 16:08, Ric Flair said:

I think Maddison and Barnes behind Vardy or Iheanacho could be very interesting, to use one of Puel’a favourite words. 

Currently we aren’t getting Maddison on the ball enough in attacking areas and that’s got to be partly because Ndidi is an atrocious passer and Mandy tries to keep things simple, there’s not enough quick passes to stretch the opposition and find Maddison to turn and drive.

Could indeed be interesting but it is unlikely Puel would want both Maddison and Barnes in the middle at the same time given his selection preferences. Ndidi will always be selected by Puel for his defensive abilities sacrificing free flowing football and reducing the effectiveness of Maddison, as you said. 

It was a weird season for Barnsley though as they lost their manager (possibly sacked another?) and got take over as well. He'd got 0.4 G+A p90 whilst he was playing so it was bizarre he couldn't get a game later on his spell there.

Its weird because i want to be super excited and after seeing him play 3 maybe 4 times this season I AM. But edgy to recall him back, not sure that would be the best option?

As long as we can sustain our position and finish 8th-12th i think he is better staying where he is...

Imagine if he continues his progression and finishes with best player of the season for his (loan) club and perhaps the best player in the league and not only that but playing there for 1 season... The confidence that will give him to break into the PL will be amazing. 

For me that outweighs some bit parts we may or may not play him in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, themightyfin said:

He ain't coming back! He and Benkovic are away for the season 100% barring a huge injury list. 

Great .. i am really pleased to hear that for both of them... (Just posted that i think its best for Harvey) But also agree i think its best for Benkovic too. 

11 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Could indeed be interesting but it is unlikely Puel would want both Maddison and Barnes in the middle at the same time given his selection preferences. Ndidi will always be selected by Puel for his defensive abilities sacrificing free flowing football and reducing the effectiveness of Maddison, as you said. 

Except for last week.

25 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I don't think the Nigerian lads got back until Thursday morning training, Nigeria had a game on the Tuesday night. So I wouldn't read too much into them not starting that game.

Honestly internationals that get back so late baffle me, it basically rules them out for starting on Saturday if they've travelled far 

There have been few better signings made by a Championship club this season than Harvey Barnes, the Leicester City midfielder currently starring on loan to West Bromwich Albion.

Barnes has scored or assisted 10 goals in 19 games for his temporary employers, but his good form appeared to desert him at the Liberty Stadium on Tuesday - although he did come close to increasing West Brom's lead with a late curling effort which struck the post.

Still, the near-miss did little to change the opinions of several Baggies supporters, some of whom wanted the Leicester youngster withdrawn long before Dwight Gayle replaced him in the 87th minute.

This is what they've had to say about Barnes' performance...

Dave Neale
@baggiedave70
 Barnes having a stinker. Tempted to take him off (although he can come up with a bit of magic).

9:13 PM - Nov 28, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Dave Neale's other Tweets

????
@Daws___
 Barnes not very good tonight, take him off give him a rest

See ????'s other Tweets

Psalm 23 ❤
@wba_tommo
 Get Barnes off

9:12 PM - Nov 28, 2018
See Psalm 23 ❤'s other Tweets

Jay Jones
@JayJonesWBA
 Harvey Barnes worst game for us tonight, he just can’t get into this or keep the ball

9:14 PM - Nov 28, 2018
See Jay Jones's other Tweets

Ryan Hunt
@dudleydrinker
 Barnes showing how much he still has to learn tonight. Sloppy in possession and indecisive. But do you keep him on the pitch for that 'moment of magic'? #WBA

9:15 PM - Nov 28, 2018
See Ryan Hunt's other Tweets

Jason Wheeler
@lebouf1976
 I hope he makes eat my words but Barnes needs the hook #wba

9:16 PM - Nov 28, 2018
See Jason Wheeler's other Tweets

Ian Moran
@IJMoran
 Harvey Barnes tonight WTF? No touch needs a day off

See Ian Moran's other Tweets

53 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I don't think the Nigerian lads got back until Thursday morning training, Nigeria had a game on the Tuesday night. So I wouldn't read too much into them not starting that game.

26 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Honestly internationals that get back so late baffle me, it basically rules them out for starting on Saturday if they've travelled far 

Iheanacho yes, but was Ndidi in the last Nigeria squad? I was under the impression he wasn't and withdrew with an injury which is an equally fair reason he didn't start at Brighton. Could be wrong mind.

Agree with those saying to leave Barnes out at WBA. No point disrupting his form. He's clearly playing well and enjoying his time there and to disrupt a young player's progression to bring him back to play a rotation role makes little sense.

2 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

Iheanacho yes, but was Ndidi in the last Nigeria squad? I was under the impression he wasn't and withdrew with an injury which is an equally fair reason he didn't start at Brighton. Could be wrong mind.

I was just about to say that I didn't see his name in the squad list and presumed he'd had an injury of some sort. Not sure if he dropped out completely or they managed it though. Either way, like you say, if he'd picked up an injury it's a legitimate reason enough not to start him anyway.

• Like 1

Seems like he was suspended

Ahmed Musa says Nigeria will be able to cope without former Leicester City team-mate Wilfred Ndidi
Musa and co take on South Africa in Africa Cup of Nations qualifying today

ByRichard Cusack
13:36, 17 NOV 2018

Ahmed Musa says Nigeria will be able to cope just fine despite injury and suspension ravaging their squad ahead of today's clash with South Africa (2.45pm).

Among those suspended are Musa's former Leicester City team-mate Wilfred Ndidi, who misses out as the Super Eagles aim to secure their qualification for next summer's Africa Cup of Nations tournament in Cameroon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LCCFox96 said:

Yeah Wilf was here all week so must've have a knock or something.

• Thanks 1

It'll be interesting to see where West Brom play him on Monday. He was playing as the number 10 and was on course to be the best division... and to arrive here only to sit on the bench waiting for an injury to Maddison. But they've been playing him as a left sided striker in the last few matches, a position he's not yet mastered and a position that would benefit us much more.

Just now, pmcla26 said:

Why would it benefit us more when we play one up top and he’s not going to get in ahead of Vardy as a lone striker?

Our formation isn't set in stone even with Puel who varied formations in past positions. And I don't think Barnes will become a striker but it will make him more versatile for us.