Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I just think he can offer us something now and unless we purchase players next month, we could do with more attacking options.

Yeah I see the appeal. If he adapts well it will be amazing for his development but there's a risk it's too early for him. It's really a touch and go decision for me.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I just think he can offer us something now and unless we purchase players next month, we could do with more attacking options.

I agree. I think he could be starting a fair amount of games for us now - Puel likes to rotate the forwards and what better way to get ready for next season than half a season of prem football? 

It's completely different to last season. We had the undroppable Mahrez which meant 1 less position he could play. 

• Like 1

They aren’t anywhere near the same level of these 2 but the similarities in playing style are there for all to see.

Maddison is more David Silva in style, whereas Harvey is more Kevin De Bruyne and for me Harvey has the much higher ceiling for potential. Maddison has still got some improvement left in him but Harvey is so raw still that it’s hard to see where his ceiling really truly is. 

13 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

Recall, send Diabate out on loan sell Ghezzal to anyone, phase Albrighton out.

Won’t happen as we’ll continue to persevere with them and wonder why we can’t create/score goals.

Diabate and Ghezzal hardly ever play and we're still not creating or scoring goals, we're relying on Maddison and Gray and they're still very much in their development phase.

Barnes has scored and assisted more at Championship level than Gray in 30 less games, he's ready. We need to fit him in whilst we're mid table nothingness. I can see it now next season, he'll start a few games and not hit it off straight away, we'll worry about our league position and that'll be that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Can appreciate why fans want to see him back but it's no bother if he stays there. In my opinion the club's strategy of recruiting and investing in youth is really paying off. Lots of great young players already in the team this season and next season we already KNOW that we are getting a cracking centre back and forward both of which are young without having to spend anything and without having to worry. Whilst both Benkovic and Barnes might offer something now, them having the whole season full of games will provide them with massive experience. Benkovic is still in Europe and has already won silverware and Barnes has the chance to win the league with West Brom.

Whilst our league position might be midtable and games not too exciting to watch, if you think about the long term strategy then we are really doing a good job. We won't go down this season so sticking with Maddison, Gray, Nacho, Soyuncu, Chilwell, Ndidi and co will only help us. I think this is just so much better than signings like Musa, Slimani, Iborra and Silva all of whom were quite old, on high wages and thus a risk.

It will probably take a few seasons still but I really think in the not so distant future we are going to have another crack at the Champions League places... maybe better. All of these players are quite good now and I think the chances of at least one of them, if not more reaching the next level is quite likely. Plus we will likely sign another one or two promising young players again in the summer too. We might lose one or two, but I think we will be able to cope in the long run.

Keep the faith! By the time the stadium improvements and new training academy are ready, we will be in awesome shape. The whole strategy of the club is blatantly being planned around it.

Ok you have sold this to me.....as long as Wes is not given a new contract preventing either of Soyuncu or Benkovic from playing regularly next season.  I am still concerned that Puel has no gonads when it comes to Morgan.  

53 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Barnes has scored and assisted more at Championship level than Gray in 30 less games, he's ready. We need to fit him in whilst we're mid table nothingness. I can see it now next season, he'll start a few games and not hit it off straight away, we'll worry about our league position and that'll be that.

I think Barnes will be a greater attacking threat than Gray. But Gray is a more complete player. He tracks back and tackles. When we're under the cosh Gray is useful. Barnes will, currently, float around waiting for the ball. That's fine in a top table Championship side but less so with us. Barnes for me is definitely the most promising player from our academy since Chilwell but I don't think he'll come back in Jan and instantly replace Gray. Although with Ian's current form I wouldn't be surprised if he could replace Ian. Watching the second half of the match last night I still think Barnes can, and is trying to, improve in the Championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lcfcsnow said:

To be fair to gray, he hasn’t been playing in the championship ..... he scores and assists plenty when he appears for the U21’s .....

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

Would really like to see him back even though I think finishing the season with West Brom would be worth while. 

I just have visions of him coming back and smashing it up. Him and Chilwell in the same side would be awesome.

Sadly they probably won't get the chance to play together

Thanks to the sky love affair with Wba, seen a lot Barnes this season and agree he is superb in what he does.

But he does not get into the game enough, whether this is how he is told to play by the manager, or his inexperience remains to be seen.

For this reason I think the best course, atm, is for Barnes to stay at Wba

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Ok you have sold this to me.....as long as Wes is not given a new contract preventing either of Soyuncu or Benkovic from playing regularly next season.  I am still concerned that Puel has no gonads when it comes to Morgan.  

What if Morgan gets given a one year deal as a squad player? Given Maguire could leave that would give us a choice of Evans, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Wes. 

In my opinion this is quite a realistic outcome. X

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treer said:

Thanks to the sky love affair with Wba, seen a lot Barnes this season and agree he is superb in what he does.

But he does not get into the game enough, whether this is how he is told to play by the manager, or his inexperience remains to be seen.

For this reason I think the best course, atm, is for Barnes to stay at Wba

At the start of the season I could easily wait ten minutes before he got into the game. But I feel he's much more involved now even when he's on the wing. He's still not as involved as Gayle who despite being a striker is involved a lot or Rodriguez who was in his own half making tackles last match. But Barnes is now at least involved in most if not all of their attacks. By the end of the season if he's as involved as much as Gayle or Rodriguez defensively he'll be a truly solid winger. I half think however we should put him in front of Maddison to make him focus on attacking.

19 minutes ago, Peckfortonfox said:

He was the season before for Barnsley, and Ghezzal is championship standard or maybe lower

He came back to us from Barnsley and played once if i recall in a cup match and wasnt outstanding at all.. 

We have to disagree on Ghezzal, he has hardly played any mins since he joined and IMO its too soon to judge. Playing as no 10 the other week (forgot which game) and he showed he can play. Whether we are not playing to his best position, time will tell. But needs more time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

What if Morgan gets given a one year deal as a squad player? Given Maguire could leave that would give us a choice of Evans, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Wes. 

In my opinion this is quite a realistic outcome. X

I think his wages could spent more productively elsewhere. We have Knight/DJ as emergency cover.

More direct, more creative and more threatening than any of our other wingers. He’s only going to improve as well whereas Gray is actually quite experienced now for his age and has had two and half seasons in the PL

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

More direct, more creative and more threatening than any of our other wingers. He’s only going to improve as well whereas Gray is actually quite experienced now for his age and has had two and half seasons in the PL

You say that like young players stop improving after 2 years in the prem??