Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

Just now, nwl fox said:

You say that like young players stop improving after 2 years in the prem??

Well it’s hard to tell, has Gray improved? Has Ndidi improved? Development isn’t linear, the only young players to significantly improve in over a season for us has been Chilwell.

• Like 1

Seems like lots of people want Barnes in as a backup winger/number 10, but really, at the moment Barnes doesn't offer much more than Ghezzal (especially in his preffered 10 position). Sure, Barnes might not progress much more under WBA, but then again, he won't progress at all on our bench.  Give him the full season. 

Who to say Ghezzal and Gray wouldn't have as much impact on the Championship as Barnes.

We could recall him but I don't he would be the difference a average season  and a good one.

Let him develop, grow as a player where he seems to be thriving, I rather see him play 30 odd game for WBA than 3 or 4 for us.

We have enough youngster in the side, we need some quality players in there prime in the side.

Edited by coolhandfox

On 15/12/2018 at 14:03, Suzie the Fox said:

He came back to us from Barnsley and played once if i recall in a cup match and wasnt outstanding at all.. 

We have to disagree on Ghezzal, he has hardly played any mins since he joined and IMO its too soon to judge. Playing as no 10 the other week (forgot which game) and he showed he can play. Whether we are not playing to his best position, time will tell. But needs more time

The Burnley match, i thought he was really quite good too. certainly deserving more minutes in that central position. I thought he was our best player in the second half on Saturday too, although he didn't need to do too much to achieve that :whistle:

• Like 1

Whilst a massively sad indictment of where we are right now, I would rather be playing at Celtic and WBA respectively than under the present regime at Leicester.

The next Month will determine in which direction this Club is heading.  A stuffing tonight combined with strange Team Selection may really be Puel's undoing. I really hope for a win and a great performance. COYB

I fear if Wes is selected.

3 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Whilst a massively sad indictment of where we are right now, I would rather be playing at Celtic and WBA respectively than under the present regime at Leicester.

The next Month will determine in which direction this Club is heading.  A stuffing tonight combined with strange Team Selection may really be Puel's undoing. I really hope for a win and a great performance. COYB

I don't see it like that at all. I see it as - I'm in the miiddle of an important season at Celtic/WBA and would like to see it through to the end.

7 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

People were saying this, practically verbatim, in Spring last season. I don't know what that means, but perhaps a couple of games don't have as much bearing on things as people think?

Considering Barnes contributions are mainly from open play as well, that's very impressive. A lot of Maddison's goals and assists must have come from set pieces?

If we could get both in the team, you'd like to think it'd help get goals from all type of situations.

7 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Barnes has played 22 games and got 8 goals 6 assists. Maddison played 44 games last season with 14 goals and 8 assists. Harvey will smash them numbers if he stays the whole season.

Harvey’s a proper number 10, Maddison is a show pony luxury player. 

Harvey is playing in a much better team, with better players around him. Of course he is going to perform better. He is still not meeting Madison's KPIs from last season however.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Barnes has played 22 games and got 8 goals 6 assists. Maddison played 44 games last season with 14 goals and 8 assists. Harvey will smash them numbers if he stays the whole season.

Maddison is exceptional at set pieces though and both have a role in this team behind Vardy. 

7 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Harvey is playing in a much better team, with better players around him. Of course he is going to perform better. He is still not meeting Madison's KPIs from last season however.

Norwich seem to have improved dramatically since flogging Maddison...

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Norwich seem to have improved dramatically since flogging Maddison...

I'll not pretend to be knowledgeable of Norwich's window or club changes since Maddison left, but there could be a bunch of reasons to explain their better form. It could be that getting rid of Maddison was what did it! I'll defer to people who know more on the subject.

• Like 1

Just now, Nicolo Barella said:

I'll not pretend to be knowledgeable of Norwich's window or club changes since Maddison left, but there could be a bunch of reasons to explain their better form. It could be that getting rid of Maddison was what did it! I'll defer to people who know more on the subject.

I'm sure it's more than that, he was responsible for over 20 goals last season and looked quality. Him and Barnes are different players. Both could start for us.

5 minutes ago, blaaklint said:

Norwich finished 14th last season and apparently Farke wasn't far from getting the sack. Maddison was involved in nearly half of their league goals though. Norwich last season were a significantly worse team than West Brom are now.

Barnes scored and assisted at a similar rate to Maddison last season, without any set piece duties in a dog shit Barnsley side.

27 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

He's not playing 10 for them and I've not seen much in terms of threading a pass that would suggest the 10 suits him more than playing wide at the moment.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Barnes scored and assisted at a similar rate to Maddison last season, without any set piece duties in a dog shit Barnsley side.

Barnes was on about 0.4 goals and assists a game, Maddison was exactly 0.5. To be fair, that is closer than I expected. Barnsley only scored one less goal than Norwich all season, but they did play different positions so I'm not sure how comparable the two are.

3 minutes ago, blaaklint said:

Barnes was on about 0.4 goals and assists a game, Maddison was exactly 0.5. To be fair, that is closer than I expected. Barnsley only scored one less goal than Norwich all season, but they did play different positions so I'm not sure how comparable the two are.

I think it's reasonable to compare them both, although they are slightly different players. Barnes is more of a " forward " than Maddison but in a fluid 4-2-3-1 or even in a 2 behind Vardy could work.

39 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Barnes has still got half a season to develop in the Championship but:

• Maddision was playing in a deeper role
  • Maddision's tackling stats were better
  • his pass completion rate was better
  • his key passes were much better
  • West Brom are a much, much better team than Norwich were.

Compare: https://www.whoscored.com/Players/137015/History/James-Maddison

And: https://www.whoscored.com/Players/331382/History/Harvey-Barnes

Even if Harvey's goals and assists beat Maddison's (looking very likely) then I'm still not sure I'd call Harvey better.

But give Harvey the rest of the season, see him improve in other areas, then we might have someone approaching how good Maddison is.

• Like 3

Kasper

Ricardo  Benkovic  Maguire  Chilwell

Mendy  Ndidi

Ghezzal  Maddison  Barnes

Vardy

We do potentially have a decent, youngish team forming.  If we can find a more forward thinking CM to partner Ndidi or Mendy we're not too far away.  X

• Like 1