Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Chris Mepham

46 minutes ago, Gerard said:

We've bought five quality players?

You actually think Ward and Ghezzel are good business? On a completely unrelated topic I've got some magic beans for sale, PM for a once in a lifetime price.

Jury is out on Ghezzal. 5m is nothing though.

Ward is a good young goalkeeper. He'll take over from Kasper in a couple of years. I think we've slightly over paid but it stops us forking out 2/3m a year on guff like Jakupovic or Hamer. We've got a genuinely good number 2 now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Ward is a good young goalkeeper. He'll take over from Kasper in a couple of years. I think we've slightly over paid but it stops us forking out 2/3m a year on guff like Jakupovic or Hamer. We've got a genuinely good number 2 now.

What evidence is there to suggest Ward is good enough to take over from Schmeichel?

Klopp had him third choice behind Karius and Mingolet.

Coleman and Giggs have him behind Hennessey in the Wales squad.

Huddesrfield fans thought he was bang average at Championship level.

He was statistically one of the the worst GK's in the Championship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

What evidence is there to suggest Ward is good enough to take over from Schmeichel?

Could you explina what the hell that graphic is meant to show, because I'm lost. lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Could you explina what the hell that graphic is meant to show, because I'm lost. lol

It's the range of goals what you would expect the average GK to save at Championship level. On the "Manhattan" the highest point is 40 goals conceded which is average. You would expect a Lev Yashin, Neuer, Banks, De Gea, etc to be at the low end of the range as they're worldies so they might have conceded under 30 if they had to face those shots.

Ward was at the other end of scale. His goals conceded expectation was 40 but he actually conceded 49. 

23 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Stop looking at things so positively!  It's not the FT way.

18 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Those goalkeepers are all senior professionals.

Karius had a very good season last year but nobody considers that because he had such a bad Champions League final.

Hennessey has 76 caps for Wales but it's a bit like Joe Hart and England in that former managers would rather put their faith in a steady Eddie rather than risk a younger more talented keeper. Hennessey also keeps goal for Palace, a fellow mid table Premier League side.

Mignolet was one of the brightest prospects at Sunderland and you don't play 150 odd times in goal for a club like Liverpool if you're shit.

Ward was very highly thought of throughout Liverpool youth set ups and his performances on the big stage of the Championship Play Offs were very impressive. From interviews you can see he has his head firmly attached to his shoulders, seems like a genuine lad and a player that can only improve with Kasper.

If we were to replace Kasper with him now i'd be worried, but we'll be waiting a good year or two for that.

Out of curiosity. Do you have the Schmeichel version of that chart? Bet its not much better.

Edited by AKCJ

25 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Why was Nigel Pearson having so many shots at Ward?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Markyblue
32 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I think klopp is maybe not the best judge of goalkeepers ?

45 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Does that take into account the quality of shots faced and how far out?

edit: I may just be stupid and not actually reading it right? 

Edited by lcfc sheff

6 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Does that take into account the quality of shots faced and how far out?

edit: I may just be stupid and not actually reading it right? 

It does, it's like how they work out goal expectation you see on MOTD. It's about the quality of attempts a team has and each one's goal expectation is individually assessed on an algorithm. 

If he saves a penalty the goal expectation would probably be about 0.75. A shot like this though the goal expectation would be 0.01.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gerard said:

It does, it's like how they work out goal expectation you see on MOTD. It's about the quality of attempts a team has and each one's goal expectation is individually assessed on an algorithm. 

If he saves a penalty the goal expectation would probably be about 0.75. A shot like this though the goal expectation would be 0.01.

I was really hoping you’d say no, now you’ve got me worried 

10 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I was really hoping you’d say no, now you’ve got me worried 

I usually make a judgement on players we sign without ever hardly seeing them play. I put a lot of emphasis on what the supporters of the club he plays for think. The Huddersfield fans who had him on loan for 43 games thought he was bang average. Just read through their forum comments on him http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/106786/danny-ward-happy

I'd have had no problem him coming here for £2.6m but £12.6m appears we've had our pants down. I can't find any evidence whether it be statistical or anecdotal to support this as being a good signing. The people defending it are usually the "give him a chance" type who would support any signing regardless of evidence or fee. I may be wrong about him and I hope I am but nothing makes me think that I will be. 

You don’t get anything for 2.6 million these days. He’s young , English and has a lot of promise. When you think what we’re saying Maguire is worth, this lad is worth a tenth surely. 10 good premier league games he’s worth twice that already. A good season and it’s 40 mill 

Edited by ronnup

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I usually make a judgement on players we sign without ever hardly seeing them play. I put a lot of emphasis on what the supporters of the club he plays for think. The Huddersfield fans who had him on loan for 43 games thought he was bang average. Just read through their forum comments on him http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/106786/danny-ward-happy

I'd have had no problem him coming here for £2.6m but £12.6m appears we've had our pants down. I can't find any evidence whether it be statistical or anecdotal to support this as being a good signing. The people defending it are usually the "give him a chance" type who would support any signing regardless of evidence or fee. I may be wrong about him and I hope I am but nothing makes me think that I will be. 

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Can you not at least give him the benefit that he was only 23 during the Huddersfield season.That practically a child in goalkeeping years.