Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Chris Mepham

2 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

He's tidy, but that is a lot. Frustrating for the likes of Johnson, Knight and Hughes if true.

People forgetting that with Brexit the need for UK players is paramount and young good prospects they will be worth a lot more in the future.  Mainly hoping that they do turn out to be regular players for us and not bothEr on long term value, but still a consderation.

Well, surprise mention of the week.

First team material, but not a starter...

In any case, we do need at least one more centre-back for cover. I don't see why it needs to be a younger or rather old guy that would want to play third or fourth fiddle, you simply want people who add competition for places - and it's not as if we're not playing in the FA Cup and League Cup, as well. Rotation will have to come in handy at some point, and then you're glad you've got the choice.

I’d love for Johnson, Knight or Hughes to get promoted to the first team squad, but realistically I’m guessing they will go out on loan first to progress, before they’re considered. 

It’s a shame, because other PL clubs have taken chances on their u23 players. I think Puel would too - but the recruitment staff would rather sign players.

4 hours ago, Hack said:

People forgetting that with Brexit the need for UK players is paramount and young good prospects they will be worth a lot more in the future.  Mainly hoping that they do turn out to be regular players for us and not bothEr on long term value, but still a consderation.

lol Perhaps we'll use them as barter to help with the trade embargoes.

2 hours ago, FoxonMaui said:

Based on our history he’s nailed on to be converted to a right back upon arrival?

Based on other history,  after signing he will go out on loan to Barnsley,  we p@ss off and lose Johnson and give Wes and Benny 4 more years.  And many will say this has nothing to do with Rudkin who does a splendid job.

Literally the first time I’ve heard of him so seems a hell of a lot money but i need to try and ignore fees else I’d never want to sign anybody. We need a younger defensive options so fits the bill, hopefully lose Benny and we can have Maguire, Evans, Morgan, Mepham and Johnson has central defence options. 

8 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

But that would give us 4 young CB's all with the potential to kick on to big things. That's not including Maguire either. 

5, you're forgetting Elliot Moore. Would make a lot of sense to send one of them back the other way on loan if this does happen.

Edited by nwl fox

If we've identified Mepham (who I think has a lot of potential), why are we only bidding for him now and not earlier in the window when he could have a full preseason with us?

I'd probably prefer Gibson as he's ahead of Mepham and has more experience, but I wouldn't complain at all if we get Mepham.  A Brentford friend rates him highly.

5 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Looking to the future is always wise! Plus with arcane at the club he has a chance to learn and develop. Clever signing.

Agree could be an excellent signing but if it forces out Johnson then not so. 

1 hour ago, nwl fox said:

5, you're forgetting Elliot Moore. Would make a lot of sense to send one of them back the other way on loan if this does happen.

Would make huge sense to loan 1 or 2 out, as realistically they won't develop to first team at the same time. But to have 5 with the potential is huge for us.

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shane said:

I’d love for Johnson, Knight or Hughes to get promoted to the first team squad, but realistically I’m guessing they will go out on loan first to progress, before they’re considered. 

It’s a shame, because other PL clubs have taken chances on their u23 players. I think Puel would too - but the recruitment staff would rather sign players.

I think you may be right unless Puel, who is renowned for giving youth a chance has decided that none of these are going to be good enough at the moment, sad but it happens and he should know more than us. Hughes I think stands out as a prospect and could go out on loan perhaps to gain experience. There does come a time though in the best interests of the individual lads future careers that a cut throat decision has to be made, I doubt all three could make it here, very sad but that's football.