Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
teblin

Mame Biram Diouf

We have resorted to our usual scatter-gun approach.

Problem is that even the underwhelming, unfavored transfers seem to be £15M at least nowadays. For us at least.

If we sign Diouf, we would have spent £35M on a backup GK, a winger with very little positive written about him and a clumsy striker who never shone within a poor Stoke squad.

What's interesting is that every window we get linked with some good names in the build-up to the window and early on, perhaps even managing to sign a couple of them (Maguire, Ndidi, Maddison, Ricardo etc all signed fairly early on in windows). Then we have a period of inactivity where targets seem to go elsewhere and then comes the final scatter-gun approach where we don't seem to know who we need and start panic bidding for absolute dross.

I wouldn't blame the recruitment team, as we are identifying the targets, we just aren't managing to sign them. Wonder who's fault that is...

53 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's like the club has a split personality, earlier in the summer I was chuffed with that we were doing. It all seemed calm and calculated, getting in the sort of player we needed in the right positions. Now it feels like we're all over the place.

Panic buys incoming?

Panic buys incoming!

Panic buys incoming.
Panic buys incoming?

I just can't make my mind up.

Four days to go and with Ghezzal now at LCFC, there's this tendency that we'll do a last few transfer days just like in the summer of 2017 all over again.

#14seconds

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I wouldn't blame the recruitment team, as we are identifying the targets, we just aren't managing to sign them. Wonder who's fault that is...

Without wanting to be accused of being his bum boy again... some things aren't in our control.

My worry though is that we fail to pony up what's needed early on in the window to make things happen, then we end up paying over the odds on shite and having to replace them later down the line and end up paying more in the long run.

5 minutes ago, Ricey said:

If we sign Diouf, we would have spent £35M on a backup GK, a winger with very little positive written about him and a clumsy striker who never shone within a poor Stoke squad.

A depressing thought.

9 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Agreed, granted the transfer fees are all relatively cheap, but there is also the implications of having them on the wage bill- I bet the winger and diouf will be on big money 

2 hours ago, teblin said:

I hope and believe this is bollocks. Of all the bullshit rumours flying around close season, this is the worst. I'd much rather have kept Musa, Slimani or Ulloa than go for this bloke. He looked awful for Stoke. 

Of course, I'm just a punter. The professionals can see - and sometimes realise - potential in someone who's been under-performing elsewhere....but nothing I've seen of this bloke gives hope of this. My hope is that this is a bollocks rumour.

2 hours ago, teblin said:

All I can guess is we are letting Alloa and Slimani go and he is our Plan b?

Rumour is that Aloha is going on a year's loan to Honolulu Hurricane.

Slimani to Weightwatchers Wednesday, I expect.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, sylofox said:

lol lol lol FT classic bollox. When linked in the sun to a good player it's sun bollox. When linked to a shite player it's true and the club get turned on.

Then the Puel haters arrive and Puel's lost the plot. Forgetting we've had tenuous links on this for two yrs before Puel arrived.

Because the shit ones turn out to be true

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Why are we even replacing Musa? Looks like Ghezzal is a Mahrez replacement. I cant see us signing two wingers this window.

Are you alright? You literally said less than 24 hours ago you thought Hazard must have something in it?

If he was free you could maybe make an argument for someone who might be a back up option, can cover a few positions, does work hard whenever I've seen him and may be a physical option (would prefer Slimani but he doesn't want to be here and that can't be good for dressing room). You could maybe ignore the fact he's a bit shit and doesn't score any goals if he helps in other ways.

However it's the ridiculous price we'd have to pay for someone to play a small role. Hopefully nothing in it.

1 minute ago, Aleksz said:

Are you alright? You literally said less than 24 hours ago you thought Hazard must have something in it?

We will see.

You could assume there would have been talks but that doesnt mean he'll sign does it?

It looks like we will be flat net spend so i cant see many ins unless we sell and that doesnt look likely currently.