Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
teblin

Mame Biram Diouf

1 minute ago, mikey54 said:

Players in their mid 20s who will never be good enough for our first team?

Jamie Vardy turned out alright - and from a non league club

Yes there is always exceptions. For every example you can give me I'll give you 1,000 examples of players who weren't that great at 25/26 and never were any better at 30.

Ward and Ghezzal have been at top level clubs since they were teenagers and still aren't top players. Vardy was working in a factory at 23. 

43 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I loved our transfer business at the start. We've made far too many average signings at best since the title win that appeared to have little thought in them whatsoever and now we're struggling to move them on.

Pereira was rated 10th best right back in the world by 442 magazine.

Maddison is 21 and was arguably the best player in the Championship.

Evans was a steal at £3.5m when Man City wanted him less than 12 months before but were quoted £30m.

No one can really criticise the above signings whether they work out or not as on paper it looks fantastic if you judge them by their profiles.

Then we sign Ward to come as our No2 for a world record fee for a reserve GK who by any metric isn't worth that. We then sign another failure from Monaco who they were desperate to get shot off. I just think we're wealthy enough as a club that we shouldn't need to be taking chance on what appears to be two players in their mid 20's who will never be good enough for our first team. Another signing or two with a similar profile to our first three signings should have been the way.

I totally agree with you. I replied to your post yesterday regarding the Ghezzal transfer, that we should have held three aces with that one instead of ending up looking like we had an 9 high as a hand. We look to have been bluffed (regarding price only as he may turn out to be a good signing, we don't know yet). We should have dictated the fee and said 'no thanks, keep him' if we felt Monaco were coming the old soldier. They clearly didn't want him.

I totally get your frustration, even if Ghazzel turns out to be a snip at £10m, we should have been able to bargain very hard when it came to him (and Ward for that matter).

It's pretty disappointing we keep repeating similar mistakes.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mikey54 said:

Players in their mid 20s who will never be good enough for our first team?

Jamie Vardy turned out alright - and from a non league club

I do get Gerard's point though. It's the fees we're paying for unwanted players when, seemingly, no other clubs are seriously in for them.

Ghezzal might turn out to be a good signing but it seems Monaco desperately wanted him off their books. In that scenario, we should have screwed them to the floor on the fee.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I do get Gerard's point though. It's the fees we're paying for unwanted players when, seemingly, no other clubs are seriously in for them.

Ghezzal might turn out to be a good signing but it seems Monaco desperately wanted him off their books. In that scenario, we should have screwed them to the floor on the fee.

It's like buying a house. I've bought houses before that I would have paid the asking price for and possibly even more than that. That's not what negotiations are about though, despite your valuation you have to try a get the price possible. If a house that I value higher than the asking price has been on the market for six months and still not sold I take into account the seller's weakness and maybe offer 90% of the asking price first offer.

It's like Simpson, one year left on his contract and has been told he's unwanted. If there is interest from a few clubs we'll probably try and squeeze a couple of million in a transfer fee, if the first offer we get is from a Championship club an hour before the deadline but they want him on a free we'll probably take it. 

Don't pay or accept what you think something is worth. Get the best price you can what the market dictates. We probably could have had Ghezzal on loan with an option to buy if we sat tight and demanded it. 

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Hope this does not mean the alleged big name signing hasn`t buggered off

Can I repeat myself  -not only does this SLB it must be B. If there is any truth in this, then the entire Scouting Team and Rudkin should be flown out to Chop -Chop Square this Friday.