Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
supernuk

Striker light?

23 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Not that confident (unlike me I know!).... 

He's not an out and out CF,  lacks real pace and has no ariel threat either.. 

Our only real goal threat will come from Maddison imo. 

This situation should never have been allowed to get this serious,  it really is beyond belief 

I'd be more than content if one of the options for the striker spot wasn't Okazaki. Vardy, Nacho and another decent option and it'd be ok.

It worried me last season and it worries me this season, he just doesn't seem bothered about attacking options which is worrying. I'd rather have 6 strikers and than 6 centre backs.

We have gone from one extreme to the other really. Having too many striking options and no good CBs to having a small amount of strikers and a few CBs that could arguably start.

I will be watching Nacho with a lot of fear for the next few weeks, if he gets injured we are in the shit. We don't even have any prolific strikers in the youth teams that we could put on the bench. 

• Like 2

Not light at all. We aren't in pre 2000 when striker is out and out striker. By this year, most striker aren't the same anymore. Most of them will drop deep to provide space for others. Take a look at Benzema, Giroud, Suarez, etc. Are they the most goalscorer of their team? Are messi, ronaldo, griezmann, mbappe, neymar an out and out striker? 

Lot of winger are capable to doing the modern striker role. It will be much better to have the likes of diabate, gray, okazaki, ghezzal who can play at least 2 position rather guy like slimani, ulloa who can only play 1 position

If one of vardy or nacho get injured, the other will replace. Both are unavailable at the same time is rare occasion, moreover for long time. So 3rd striker will be very rarely get the minutes they wanted, while most won't be happy for just sitting on the bench 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

The same thing happened last season but the club never seems to learn from the mistakes

In the past seasons,we had....Slimani/Ulloa for cover. With Musa a 3rd long off!:ermm:

This season it's strikers,..the last 4 seasons,it was CBs and attacking midfield.

Maybe,we just couldn't. Bag the right striker,then decided to depend on youth....

Shimano proved...just going for a known decent player,doesn't guarantee successful placement...

Teams like Man Utd,Man.city can buy 3-5 players,and are not disrupted when 2 fail...I

We have seen ourselves ,in the last 3 seasons, what disruption in form and presentation,that fail-buys can bring.

So throwing out blind criticism,on teams like ourselves,is far to easy for the "told ya so".   brigade

Again we see teams,like Fulham/Wolves...W.ham (Newcastle of old)...splash the cash.Let's see if they have a better

3-5 PL seasons,than us,because of it.!!!!  I see Everton may well have got back on track,and like Spurs,maybe compete for top 3-6.

Especially now Arsenal,and just maybe, Man Utd might have unsavoury seasons..

Wolves should with their spending,he chasing top 5-6,I think they will have a good season,but doubt we will see them challenge that area

Of the league.  If I chose any surprise teams,that would be Watford and little ol'  Bournemouth,and worth having a crack that CPalace might

end up higher than Arsenal.Burnley I still see being solid but only 10-12th(even after home defeat),but no top 6 battle.

If Leicester did have that other top striker,and that other top midfielder,then chasing top 5,would be a realistic target.

Who knows maybe Nacho,Silva/Iborra/Mendy might surprise us where any 2  welcomely deliver performances higher than expected...

39 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'd be more than content if one of the options for the striker spot wasn't Okazaki. Vardy, Nacho and another decent option and it'd be ok.

It worried me last season and it worries me this season, he just doesn't seem bothered about attacking options which is worrying. I'd rather have 6 strikers and than 6 centre backs.

Really? We only play 1 striker, we could possibly play 3 centre backs. 

How many games has our 4th striker played the last few years? Never mind a 5th or 6th one. 

2 minutes ago, Hanan96 said:

Not light at all. We aren't in pre 2000 when striker is out and out striker. By this year, most striker aren't the same anymore. Most of them will drop deep to provide space for others. Take a look at Benzema, Giroud, Suarez, etc. Are they the most goalscorer of their team? Are messi, ronaldo, griezmann, mbappe, neymar an out and out striker? 

Lot of winger are capable to doing the modern striker role. It will be much better to have the likes of diabate, gray, okazaki, ghezzal who can play at least 2 position rather guy like slimani, ulloa who can only play 1 position

If one of vardy or nacho get injured, the other will replace. Both are unavailable at the same time is rare occasion, moreover for long time. So 3rd striker will be very rarely get the minutes they wanted, while most won't be happy for just sitting on the bench 

Fair dues,...It's another take on possible set up... Nacho and Vardy out,would give.....

Albrighton,Gray,Diabate,plus an extra midfielder Silva/Iborra another spectrum...

Man should never say,...never

7 minutes ago, Wdywd said:

Really? We only play 1 striker, we could possibly play 3 centre backs. 

How many games has our 4th striker played the last few years? Never mind a 5th or 6th one. 

I was exaggerating a bit, but I prefer to have plenty of attacking options. It's rare we've ever gone into a season without 4 out and out strikers as a minimum

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I was exaggerating a bit, but I prefer to have plenty of attacking options. It's rare we've ever gone into a season without 4 out and out strikers as a minimum

We won the league with 2 and an Ulloa. The prosecution rests :cool:

Would've won it by 20 points if Kramaric was ever allowed to play

26 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

In the past seasons,we had....Slimani/Ulloa for cover. With Musa a 3rd long off!:ermm:

This season it's strikers,..the last 4 seasons,it was CBs and attacking midfield.

Maybe,we just couldn't. Bag the right striker,then decided to depend on youth....

Shimano proved...just going for a known decent player,doesn't guarantee successful placement...

Teams like Man Utd,Man.city can buy 3-5 players,and are not disrupted when 2 fail...I

We have seen ourselves ,in the last 3 seasons, what disruption in form and presentation,that fail-buys can bring.

So throwing out blind criticism,on teams like ourselves,is far to easy for the "told ya so".   brigade

Again we see teams,like Fulham/Wolves...W.ham (Newcastle of old)...splash the cash.Let's see if they have a better

3-5 PL seasons,than us,because of it.!!!!  I see Everton may well have got back on track,and like Spurs,maybe compete for top 3-6.

Especially now Arsenal,and just maybe, Man Utd might have unsavoury seasons..

Wolves should with their spending,he chasing top 5-6,I think they will have a good season,but doubt we will see them challenge that area

Of the league.  If I chose any surprise teams,that would be Watford and little ol'  Bournemouth,and worth having a crack that CPalace might

end up higher than Arsenal.Burnley I still see being solid but only 10-12th(even after home defeat),but no top 6 battle.

If Leicester did have that other top striker,and that other top midfielder,then chasing top 5,would be a realistic target.

Who knows maybe Nacho,Silva/Iborra/Mendy might surprise us where any 2  welcomely deliver performances higher than expected...

Last January transfer window we sent Slimani and Ulloa out on loan! And we kept send crosses in the box for a defender to keep heading away! 

I think our striker options are fine, it will be a rare occasion when neither Vardy or Iheanacho will be available. Even so we still have Okazaki who has played No9 most of his career.

The dream scenario would be for George Hirst to have a 20 goal season in Belgium this season and for us to buy him to supplement Vardy and Iheanacho next season. A young talented 6,3" striker would fit in well here. 

The other thing about our crossing is that if you've allowed the opposition to set their position by having a lot of the ball and not moving it forward quickly then it takes an absolute peach of a cross to find your attacker (we only ever have one in the box) where as if you've launched a fast and direct attack you've stretched the opposition and crosses are easier to find your attacker. We need to find a mix. It's why we need to blend our old style with being more comfortable in possession as well, which we saw under Puel pre-xmas last year.

• Like 2

I think we should have signed a big lump no.9 to come on and give us a plan B in attack. Ulloa did it very well for us 2-3 seasons ago and the amount of crosses we have fly into the box, with no one there able to consistently challenge, is frustrating. We could have picked someone up like Llorente and kept him as a 3rd choice, stuck him on with 10-15 mins to go and had Albrighton loading the box with those early crosses he loves so much. 

I think it was an opportunity missed. I rate Iheanacho though and so hopefully he can stay fit and play 90mins of each the next 3 games and get some goals. 

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

I think our striker options are fine, it will be a rare occasion when neither Vardy or Iheanacho will be available. Even so we still have Okazaki who has played No9 most of his career.

The dream scenario would be for George Hirst to have a 20 goal season in Belgium this season and for us to buy him to supplement Vardy and Iheanacho next season. A young talented 6,3" striker would fit in well here. 

Cue Iheanacho injury after 10 mins

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Cue Iheanacho injury after 10 mins

Not sure why so many fans believe this is so unlikely! Most teams have 4 decent/capable strikers on their books. Okazaki is not really a goal scorer these days and if we did lose Iheanacho, we would be blunt in attack and struggle! 

• Like 1

Crossing is extremely ineffective numbers wise, I agree it's good to have a different option but smashing the ball to a big man in a crowded area is literally hit and hope. It's something like 1 in 60 crosses leads to a goal.