Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

Time for a Puel in thread.

It's good to see that despite the result yesterday a lot of posters still back Puel. It's difficult to excuse some of the defensive errors and although I am most certainly not placing too much emphasis on this, but the fact that Bournemouth's starting 11 didn't contain anywhere near as many players who had to report for international duty was telling at this early stage in the season against a side in transition like ours. We certainly didn't get the rub of the green yesterday, but these issues are sure to iron out in time. Albeit a must win, the game at home to Huddersfield next week should give a chance of redemption. I personally thought that we started brightly and at 1-0, if Maddison's effort goes in, we would have had the boost we needed to take the game to them. Our style of football is impressive and will only get better. We proved against Liverpool that we can seriously compete against a variety of opposition playing methods. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SuperMike said:

'Puel in' ....? 

FFS

Puel in what?

Puel in a mess?

Puel in a quandary?

Puel in the sh*t?

Puel in the dark?

Puel in line for the sack?

2 good performances (but both defeats)

3 appalling performances (very fortunate to get wins v wolves and saints).

Rubbish end to last season (glossed over by win v 10 man Arsenal)

Best squad ever (but they have no pattern, no heart, no direction, no 'qualiteee')

PLEASE - SOS - Save our Season:

Get in a proper manager QUICK.

Err, how about you fcuk off to your own threads, there's at least half a dozen you can post in. lol:wave:

• Like 3

Just now, Bossman Blessed It said:

It's good to see that despite the result yesterday a lot of posters still back Puel. It's difficult to excuse some of the defensive errors and although I am most certainly not placing too much emphasis on this, but the fact that Bournemouth's starting 11 didn't contain anywhere near as many players who had to report for international duty was telling at this early stage in the season against a side in transition like ours. We certainly didn't get the rub of the green yesterday, but these issues are sure to iron out in time. Albeit a must win, the game at home to Huddersfield next week should give a chance of redemption. I personally thought that we started brightly and at 1-0, if Maddison's effort goes in, we would have had the boost we needed to take the game to them. Our style of football is impressive and will only get better. We proved against Liverpool that we can seriously compete against a variety of opposition playing methods. 

Fact of the matter is if we beat every team like this, we'd be in the reckoning for the top four at the end of the season. Whilst this vocal minority pretend they are realistic, the fact is they have a horrible sense of entitlement and lack of understanding. They want to sack a manager every month and think we belong as title contenders. I hope the board remain strong, don't pander to the retards and let Puel continue building. Let's not forget, there is still a serious amount of deadwood here still to move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Want him to succeed but his record over the last 26 premier league games , over two thirds of a season, reads :

Played 26 , won 7, drawn 6 , lost 13, points 27 … border line relegation form in reality.

Remember in the title winning season we only lost 3 games … this season we've already lost 3 games from the first 5.

Pretty grim reading.

So what you’ve done is basically take away his results after the Southampton victory ? That’s not really a fair indication is it? 

In that spell of those 26 games, we’ve had 9 games against top six teams. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Want him to succeed but his record over the last 26 premier league games , over two thirds of a season, reads :

Played 26 , won 7, drawn 6 , lost 13, points 27 … border line relegation form in reality.

Remember in the title winning season we only lost 3 games … this season we've already lost 3 games from the first 5.

Pretty grim reading.

We've only played 5 games this season. Last season has no bearing at all. It's why we play seasons and not years. 

Sky brought up a stat yesterday saying that since Liverpool lost 4-0 at Spurs last October they have since lost 3 games. Didn't finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd last season though did they.

And the comparison to winning a title isn't fair either. Remember in the title winning season we actually won the title. Not going to happen again though is it.

What do you want? We're Leicester City. We're a mid table club. And our current form reflects that.

If we finish 16th and make the final of a cup competition I'll be happy, much happier than finishing 10th and being dumped out of both cup competitions early on.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

I feel like we’re an aging man who’s settled down with the best he realistically do before it’s too late. We’re destined for a life of safe, secure and slightly underwhelming mediocrity. Puel is fine, our young players are blossoming and our key players are playing every week. Long term the infrastructure of the club is sound, but you can’t help thinking life could just be that wee bit more thrilling. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sdb said:

I feel like we’re an aging man who’s settled down with the best he realistically do before it’s too late. We’re destined for a life of safe, secure and slightly underwhelming mediocrity. Puel is fine, our young players are blossoming and our key players are playing every week. Long term the infrastructure of the club is sound, but you can’t help thinking life could just be that wee bit more thrilling. 

Well after chaos for the past few years (mostly good but also a lot of terrible) I think as a club a safe, underwhelming mediocrity will do and if 8th in the Premier League is underwhelming mediocrity then you evidently weren't a Leicester fan throughout the 2000's. 

• Like 1

People on here were touting for Wagner not so long ago.  .   Yes, he is making some mistakes along the way, but who doesn't in life?  He has done many positive things including bringing down the age of what was an aging Band of Brothers.  Give him a break.

12 minutes ago, sdb said:

Well then they can just play 5 aside in the evenings and weekends on the sly and play how they want, with sex toys and lube

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

I’m still not sure if I’m Puel in or Puel out. I was underwhelmed by his appointment at the time and nothings really changed my mind. I love the fact that he’s trying to bring in young hungry players but at the same time baffled that he plays Wes after spending tens of millions on new centre half’s - a position we’ve needed to strengthen every window since we won the league. We play some nice football at times but aren’t quite creative enough and the lack of replacement for Mahrez shows. I don’t really understand why the players one minute look to counter attack quickly and then the next make 6/7 passes across the back 4 and defensive midfielders. I always said give him last season, his own transfer window and then 12-15 games this season before we judge.  At the minute we sit in 8th which is pretty much as good as a club our size can hope for consistently but like many others I think we could be so much more. Am I just greedy after the miracle year? After all I’ve wat he’d the turgid years of the 2000’s AND the Pleat years so who knows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ian_marshall said:

This forum astounds me sometimes. We've spent virtually the whole time under Puel's tenure in and around 8th position in one of, if not the, best domestic leagues in the world and people are moaning.

Our position pretty much reflects our level of Net spend over the past few seasons yet some seem to think that we are underperforming. I loved the title win as much as the next person but on reflection it was an anomaly and was never going to be repeated with that team.

Taking that season out of the equation, we're making progress year on year and we've consistently achieved the heights in this league (PL not old Div 1) only previously achieved by Martin O'Neill who many rightly regard as one of our best managers since the formation of the PL.

Let's be clear I'm not suggesting for one moment that Puel has pulled up any trees since his appointment, but conversely he's pretty much performed in line with the resources available to him which are those of a top half mid table side. 

Those complaining about possession based play and sideways passing in my view are either part of the PlayStation generation, relatively new to football, or simply haven't played the game at a high enough level to understand its necessity in the modern day game. Suffice to say I'd much rather us have control of the ball than hand over possession after every opposition attack by launching the ball aimlessly down the park. 

I love this forum and read it daily but some poster's agenda to constantly criticise the manager is becoming tedious and its getting to the point where if it continues much longer I'm seriously going to contemplate stepping away from the forum for a while until the dust settles. This used to be a platform for open and interesting debate with some very good contributors offering insightful and fair opinions, but over the past 12 months it seems to be overrun by so called fans seeking instant gratification from the side, constant moaners, and trolls.

good post there imo, Im by no means a Puel fan or even want him out, i just want us to have some sort of stability for a bit instead of chopping and changing every 6 months, 

i think we won the league some of our fans are expecting us to be up and around there every season but we wont be, 

also reminds me fans calling for Puel to go but did they call for Pearson to go when we was in that long win-less run when we stayed up a few season back, 

just think......we could get rid of Puel and could get Pardew...:blink:

• Like 1

I was confused by the starting line up

the team looked unbalanced

luckily the opposition was pony

i could understand squad rotation against weaker sides and resting Ricardo if he had played for Portugal in the break.  The only explanation is that puel knew JM would vacate his area a lot and leave wilf and Papy covering the left - hence he wnted a right back who would stay home more. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I was confused by the starting line up

the team looked unbalanced

luckily the opposition was pony

i could understand squad rotation against weaker sides and resting Ricardo if he had played for Portugal in the break.  The only explanation is that puel knew JM would vacate his area a lot and leave wilf and Papy covering the left - hence he wnted a right back who would stay home more. 

Why do you think it was squad rotation? 

When we first saw the squad it was pretty confusing, but when we got into the game it became quite clear what he was trying to do. Maddison was never meant to be a winger, simply cutting in and becoming almost a second 10, leaving the entire left wing for chillwell. 

Whilst the opposite wing, Ghezzal/Gray would stretch the play and act more direct with Amartey staying further back to provide cover and giving us 3 at the back when chillwell bombed forward 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 3

I think as fans we need to lose this negative approach to supporting our club and our manager. We have rarely been outside of the top 10 in Puels tenure so far, so why get so down if we have a bad result as though the world ended! On the other hand when we win, still slow to heap praise. We beat what was in front of us yesterday and we need to be positive not just think it was a crap Huddersfield side. Man U and Arsenal aren't all that. Why not think ambitious. Let's get amongst them this season. 

Always been Puel in. For me I’d like to see us turn a few of the narrow defeats into at least draws, Liverpool and Man Utd for example.

Bournemouth was a bit of an anomaly but perhaps a positive as it showed him enough was enough with some players and that system away from home. 

We need to make the most of October and November though that’s for sure!

34 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Why do you think it was squad rotation? 

When we first saw the squad it was pretty confusing, but when we got into the game it became quite clear what he was trying to do. Maddison was never meant to be a winger, simply cutting in and becoming almost a second 10, leaving the entire left wing for chillwell. 

Whilst the opposite wing, Ghezzal/Gray would stretch the play and act more direct with Amaryey staying further back to provide cover and giving us 3 at the back when chillwell bombed forward 

As I said - I could understand if it were squad rotation but Ricardo didn’t need a rest. 

I also quoted the tactics explanation that you gave - however, Ghezzal didn’t stretch the game on the right because he comes infield - gray coming on at half time helped hold the right side nearer the touch line. 

It all all made sense in the end with us loading the forward areas when in possession rather than leaving vards isolated.  The plan B many felt he didn’t have ......

btw, whilst we lament the slow starts, that’s twice we have come from behind to win - good to see that mentaliteee  showing itself again. 

Edited by st albans fox

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

As I said - I could understand if it were squad rotation but Ricardo didn’t need a rest. 

I also quoted the tactics explanation that you gave - however, Ghezzal didn’t stretch the game on the right because he comes infield - gray coming on at half time helped hold the right side nearer the touch line. 

It all all made sense in the end with us loading the forward areas when in possession rather than leaving vards isolated.  The plan B many felt he didn’t have ......

btw, whilst we lament the slow starts, that’s twice we have come from behind to win - good to see that mentaliteee  showing itself again. 

Not sure if i'm reading what youre saying right, but surely thats why he was subbed at half time, because he wasnt sticking to the tactics?