Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

Time for a Puel in thread.

This man needs to be given time. He is creating something good here. Let's not get in his back after a few bad results. 

Going to old trafford with an average age of 25 (includes Wes too) and dominating large parts is very encouraging! 

Massive Puel in from me! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Puel, Rudkin, the Recruitment Team and Filbert IN.    Really enjoyed the game last night despite the start.  Some great football played by all and we are heading in the right direction after 2 years of going backward. 

• Like 2

Last night was extremely encouraging. I don’t think we could have expected to win at Old Trafford, but to dominate them in the manner that we did - was phenomenal. 

The recruitment not only looks good, but it’s in the right areas too. Some improvements can definitely be made, but it strikes me we finally have a sustainable model of play. We can’t criticise counter-attacking football too much, as it won us the league, but it wasn’t sustainable as we had been found out.

Fair play to the owners for sticking with him and ignoring the shortsightedness of some. It can only improve as well - you’d think - as we have had an interrupted pre season.

That said, we need to beat Wolves at home next week now. If we don’t, then pressure will begin to build. But for the whole season, I’m very optimistic.

• Like 1

we looked like a team completely comfortable with the ball for the most part. However, the opposition weren’t too bothered about pressing after the first fifteen mins so a tough game to take much out of. last season we were unlucky to lose at the emirates but we were pushed back for most of that match as arsenal chased the game. 

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Despite the result I was really impressed today. Just in case you didn’t realise, you just saw Leicester City (yes Leicester) dominate the game away at Old Trafford against a team that has the most expensive central midfielder (and World Cup winner) of all time and world class players in every position and who brought a 75m striker off the bench. More shots, more corners, more possession. It just happened in front of your eyes. 

I thought he should have left after the 5-0 palace defeat but this was the best I’ve seen us play as a *team* since he’s been here (not performance but team shape and structure). It’s not there yet but it’s literally an evolution of the team we saw last year. We had possession but now fullbacks are bombing on, the 10 is running the game and we control the match. All this despite basically throwing who we had available together to form a side given the World Cup and injuries. 

Many times last season I was confused with what Puel’s vision for the finished article would be. I thought it would be like the French World Cup team or even Man United tonight where you use possession to defend by making sure the other team doesn’t have it. But that’s not the system at all! It’s a double pivot in midfield to maintain structure whilst we create 2v1 overloads on each flank with fullbacks that cross with their natural foot and inverted wingers / forwards who can cut in to offer additional attacking threat. The 10 is there to dictate the game in classic Zidane / Platini / Totti style and the 9 stretches the back 4 (and specifically the CBs) to make space for everyone. The forwards run a high press to force the opposition to kick it long and our CBs need to be good on the ball so that when this happens we build an attack rather than giving away the ball and losing control. IF everyone does their job then as a team everything goes up several levels and we click. Tonight look at the play between Demari Gray, Ben Chilwell and James Maddison for evidence of this system in action. They were all good and how exciting is it that three English players all under the age of 23 are playing like that? If that doesn’t get you excited then nothing will!

I’m not proclaiming Puel as some kind of messiah nor do I necessarily think he is the answer, but now I understand why he is so highly rated in France. Look at the way he got essentially a bunch of kids to play together tonight... that is extremely impressive and it’s going to benefit not just Leicester but the national team too. These players value will skyrocket and eventually (let’s say 5+ years) we will start generating academy players that will seamlessly fit into the team and system creating a Southampton / Monaco / Dortmund “conveyer belt” setup that will leave the club setup for years.

After writing all this he’ll now get the chop after 10 games (!) but if it does work out then it’s brilliant news for the club, the players, the fans and even Leicester as a city. Our owners have earned my trust and appreciation over the years and I believe I’m seeing the beginnings of a very well thought out strategy being executed in front of our eyes. I’ll see you all at the Santiago Bernebau for the Champions League semi final versus Real Madrid in 5 years time :scarf:.

Yeah you can come here with all your detailed analysis and facts and reason but Puel sometimes says "err" in interviews and I don't like his face he can get in the fvcking sea.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Haha 4

How refreshing was that to watch.(rhet)

My Leicester go to the theatre of dreams and boss possession.

That's unheard of FFS!! 

And not only had more possession, but looked the better and more dangerous team.

I'm racking my brain, but I can't think of a game at OT where I have felt like that. We may have had more exciting games than last night,but we would suffer for nigh on 85 mins of them battering us and us having last gasp clearances that conveniently lands to God and we score.

We had more possession, shot's on /off target, free kicks and corners, and only lost the game to a freak penalty.

Last night was a joy to behold and a pleasure to watch.

More work on the the training ground and a little luck I can see us exceeding my own expectations.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, somebum said:

Yes, because it was his first ever game managing us wasn't it

12 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Not even getting into a debate with you as you’re too negative to even reason with

Best bet foxfanazer I really do think somebum is seenfeckall in disguise.

Changing the playing style is all well and good and if people confuse this with "building" something then fair enough. Somewhere along the line you have to grasp the fact that football is a results based game. We might look more pleasing on the eye in possession but, for me, we still look pretty average in both boxes, where games are won and lost.. Wolves is a big name now. Need to win this one and not just get another possession based performance like last season, but with all singing and dancing bells on now. Fingers crossed. 

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

No I’m not. This place will go into meltdown and the media will be all over Puel not being the right man for the job etc.

I’m telling you, we must win a lot of our home games, and especially against the newly promoted sides.

Before any of the nincompoops on here start, im not saying we’ll lose to Wolves. I think we’ll win. But IF we lose, there’ll be backlash, of that I’m sure.

It shouldnt be the case but he's absolutely right, theres people desperately waiting to get their knives out both on here and in the media, thats the world of modern football unfortunately

Puel definitely has some great ideas. What I am not so sure about is, if he can get his ideas across to and motivate his players. I saw it as a very positive sign, that Ricardo really wanted to join us after playing for Puel at Nice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I am a "Puel In" but there can be absolutely no criticism yesterday. We went to Old Trafford and, for large parts of the game, were better than them.

Saying there can be no criticism is a bit daft, we lost, even in games we have won there can be criticism.

As for Puel, when he first came, I was in the give him time camp, after sitting through so much turgid keep ball last season I turned against him, at present he has a window where I'm prepared to give him a little more time but this is a results business, if we lose to Wolves and Southampton he can go.

Edited by ithuriel

1 minute ago, ithuriel said:

Saying there can be no criticism is a bit daft, we lost, even in games we have won there can be criticism.

As for Puel, when he first came, I was in the give him time camp, after sitting through so much turgid keep ball last I turned against him, at present he has a window where I'm prepared to give him a little more time but this is a results business, if we lose to Wolves and Southampton he can go.

So give him a little more time..  about two weeks if we don't win those games! Bit of a small window then. 

• Like 1