Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

Time for a Puel in thread.

Wolves is a real test. The performance on Friday was really encouraging, but it was home games against the likes of Stoke, Bournemouth, Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton etc. where we came unstuck. Generally speaking our performances last season against the top six were respectable under Puel. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 2

I'm a bit torn on Wolves. Half of me likes the fact they're rattling the same lot who always seem to sneer at us. On the flip side they're getting too much smoke blown up their arse. They're still yet to achieve a single thing we didn't under Pearson.

We should beat them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm not 100% convinced by him but I'm completely against recklessly changing your manager - for example giving him the whole of pre-season and then talk of getting rid of him 5 games in. Utterly ludicrous. It's like the kind of thing that would happen in Football Manager where you'd laugh at it being a bug. To actually bring that to reality would be madness.

Lets see where we are in November.

Have to agree. If he was to go palace away was exactly the right time/excuse for the owners. Backing him letting him spend money and to be fair he's spent it where we all felt it was needed a proper no.10 a rb and finally some fresh cb's.

After an encouraging performance at OT sacking him so soon into him starting to tear up the old guard makes no sense. Would enhance the believe our club is a bit of a basket case with Nigel delusions.

And especially for Martinez. His everton team couldn't defend for shit. Play pretty football yes.

It's still too early imo to be making calls as to Puel "in or out" given he and Rudkin have made significant signings that will have quite an effect on the way we play.  I don't see Wolves result as much of an indicator, but how we play will be. It's only the 2nd game in to a new season, 2+ of our main players have not had a pre season with the team, incoming players still to be looked at as to their best position in our set-up and play alongside each other in a fully competitive situation. I'd like to think we'll get a good result, but it isn't a season ending loss if we don't.

We were shown by Palace last season that an awful start can be turned around by a manager that most people on here were ridiculing when he was favourite to come here for a while in the betting...wer're halfway there, we have a manager that we have been ridiculing

• Like 1

Puel's team and tactics from what I saw Friday & generally over pre-season with youth I liken to a new bottle of fizzy pop...open the top slowly people..we r gonna scare a lot of teams..just need to sharpen up the front bubbles & let rip...6th/7th is what my crystal ball shows tonight...just be patient please...it will all come good...

Edited by The Wizard
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Webbo said:

He didn't really, we were one of the top teams in the division that year.

Also, we really need to change the way we play. Playing the same tactics of 2015/16 without Kante and Mahrez will get us nowhere... which we've pretty much seen just the last two seasons without Kante.

If the owners are content to let him spend big, which really he has, that can only really mean they are backing him. Realistic expectations this season are upper mid table if we’re honest. 

If, halfway through, this looks unachievable then I expect they’ll press the ejector button. 

The only caveat to this this is our owners seem to hanker for a real figurehead. Puel isn’t that. 

He inherited a squad that has some good players but is largely built around a playing style that he's never played, and plenty of wastes of money. There was blatantly going to be turbulence. If those who are tasked with appointing the manager couldn't envisage that then that's worrying.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He inherited a squad that has some good players but is largely built around a playing style that he's never played, and plenty of wastes of money. There was blatantly going to be turbulence. If those who are tasked with appointing the manager couldn't envisage that then that's worrying.

One thing the style that Puel wants to implement did last season was really expose our weaknesses. There are certain players whose jobs were made very simple with the old way of playing and they were protected as a result. Yes the squad he inherited had some very good players, but it  also had its' fair share of mediocre/poor footballers.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Arguably though we badly needed some 'turbulence'. Get rid of the style that the players we had were no longer capable of performing, get rid of some of the ill purchased I'll fitting players and get rid of any troublesome staff like Pearson had to. Turbulence can be good and it was was badly needed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

He's transitioning the squad away from the old players and to a new generation.

Weve bought players that fit his style.

He's changing our playing style.

He's got to integrate about 4 new starting players.

He's not had a single days training yet with our full squad.

Even taking new signings out of the equation of the last point, the summer has been completely disrupted due to the World Cup. Far more so than the teams that's we are likely to be competing against.

To give someone three games when you take those things into consideration makes absolutely no sense.

Agree with all of this, but the majority of our fans that are now saying Puel should be given time who previously wanted him gone will want him gone again if we don't pick up a win vs Wolves or Southampton. That's how finely poised it is for Puel amongst our fan base. People can't forget last season or the fact he's not built any sort of rapport which gives fans the ability to calm down after defeats. Let's hope our owners have forgotten about last season and now view Puel's regime as a fresh start and he's got a good crack at it, it's easy to believe this won't happen though.

• Like 1

Guest MattP

One of the biggest and fairest criticisms of him last season was just how long it often took him to make changes, I was delighted to see him be more pro-active in that sense on Friday night.

He deserves time with this and I expect the owners to back him unless it's a complete car crash after 10-12 games.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

One of the biggest and fairest criticisms of him last season was just how long it often took him to make changes, I was delighted to see him be more pro-active in that sense on Friday night.

He deserves time with this and I expect the owners to back him unless it's a complete car crash after 10-12 games.

I was pleased too with this and recognise that Madders had a knock but felt that Nacho was perhaps the man to come off as Madders was just about the best player on the pitch.

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Arguably though we badly needed some 'turbulence'. Get rid of the style that the players we had were no longer capable of performing, get rid of some of the ill purchased I'll fitting players and get rid of any troublesome staff like Pearson had to. Turbulence can be good and it was was badly needed.

I agree with that, although I meant it in the sense that it's likely to affect results / performances.

I think a lot of the issue with Puel is being able to convince people it's the right thing to do. I think a change of personnel was needed for sure but Atletico Madrid have kept a similar kind of style about them and maintained how effective they are - granted it's worth pointing out they weren't quite as reliant on the low possession counter as much as we are.

I agree with @BenTheFox that it's exposed some of our individual players as being very limited, and I do think there's an argument to say that Puel trying to transition us has cost us some points.

It's a tricky situation to manage, really, but I'm prepared to see him given time. If we sack him before November, unless it's catastrophically bad, then I cannot have any faith in the decision makers at the club unless they do pull a real quality manager out of the bag to replace him.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

I was pleased too with this and recognise that Madders had a knock but felt that Nacho was perhaps the man to come off as Madders was just about the best player on the pitch.

No matter how many times people say it I just cannot buy this theory that Iheanacho is a number 10. I think he is a number 9, albeit a bit of a luxury player.

8 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

No matter how many times people say it I just cannot buy this theory that Iheanacho is a number 10. I think he is a number 9, albeit a bit of a luxury player.

This highlights exactly the type of problems Puel has to deal with and try and resolve.

He didn't Buy Iheanacho and a lot of money was spent on him. Money we'd never got back for him presently.

Yet he's expected to integrate him in the team. Similar situation with Slimani.

So he either leaves him to wait for Vardy to get injured or try and improve his skills in the support role.

I'm sure he'd like to pick his own partner for Vardy, But such is the politics of football.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's a 9 all day long that we bought and then said he kinda likes/prefers playing as 10 as well though so can partner Vardy in some weird deluded way. He's the guy we should be bringing on when up in games and resting Vards.

12 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

He's a 9 all day long that we bought and then said he kinda likes/prefers playing as 10 as well though so can partner Vardy in some weird deluded way. He's the guy we should be bringing on when up in games and resting Vards.

He may have been bought when the Club thought we were going to lose Vardy, who knows.

Now we have to try and find a way of using him as Vardy rarely gets injured.

Your last point is an option except for the fact that Footballers like to play. They get pissed off if their subbed while fit.

3 minutes ago, Shane said:

My only gripe with a Puel is he keeps changing the team, there is no consistency in the team selection. Hopefully we will have a settled first 11 soon.

Other then that I have no complaints, we need to get behind him. 

How can that be, We've only played one game.

• Haha 1