Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Wolves Pre-Match Thread, 18th Aug

Schmeichel 

Ricardo - Morgan - Maguire - Chilwell

Ndidi - Silva

Albrighton - Maddison - Gray

Vardy

I'd keep Wes in because I don't think Evans is properly ready yet, no point rushing him in, Wes didn't do too bad against United so I see no reason in dropping him. Keep Silva in ahead of Iborra, what Silva needs is a run of games, keep taking him in and out will knock his confidence. Albrighton and Vardy starting is a must.

We experienced last season in Pre Season how dangerous Wolves can be, they destroyed us. Their threat will come from both wide areas, that's where they killed us from last time, big task for Albrighton and Gray(If they start of course) to help out the full-backs defensively, if not we'll get caught out 2 on 1 like last time and they'll destroy us.

Wolves play much better football than what we saw from them against Everton, defend the wide areas well and don't give free kicks away 20-25 yards from goal then we should be alright lol 

I'm going to be optimistic for once and go 2-1 Leicester.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Schmeichel 

Ricardo - Morgan - Maguire - Chilwell

Ndidi - Silva

Albrighton - Maddison - Gray

Vardy

I'd keep Wes in because I don't think Evans is properly ready yet, no point rushing him in, Wes didn't do too bad against United so I see no reason in dropping him. Keep Silva in ahead of Iborra, what Silva needs is a run of games, keep taking him in and out will knock his confidence. Albrighton and Vardy starting is a must.

We experienced last season in Pre Season how dangerous Wolves can be, they destroyed us. Their threat will come from both wide areas, that's where they killed us from last time, big task for Albrighton and Gray(If they start of course) to help out the full-backs defensively, if not we'll get caught out 2 on 1 like last time and they'll destroy us.

Wolves play much better football than what we saw from them against Everton, defend the wide areas well and don't give free kicks away 20-25 yards from goal then we should be alright lol 

I'm going to be optimistic for once and go 2-1 Leicester.

We have been abysmal at defending wide areas for a while now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We should be better defending wide areas now that Mahrez has gone,whos defending was almost non existant but the downside is who have we now got  to create or score goals  apart from Vardy ? Gray hasnt managed this so far and a lot is going to rest on Maddison's shoulders.

Having attacking full backs is fine if you have someone to get on the end of their crosses but the Man Utd match showed that we havent got anyone

5 minutes ago, drofmor55 said:

Having attacking full backs is fine if you have someone to get on the end of their crosses but the Man Utd match showed that we havent got anyone

I partly agree with you. It's not Iheanacho's strength to head crosses so I am not sure why we persisted with that tactic for so long. Made it very easy for Bailly and Lindhof.

Albrighton and now Ricardo are great crossers though that's clear and just having that creates chances not always necessarily from the first ball in. Gray always seems to cross low which makes sense (looking at our strikers) and was close to creating for us last weekend.

It looks like they've done a lot of work on set pieces from that first game. Attacking with them and also defending them. Wolves and Neves are really going to be a threat from their free kicks, corners and crosses so it'll be a good test to see where they are.

The most exciting thing about that United game was the short passing between Silva - Gray - Maddison - Ricardo that led to a number of good chances. It was great progress to see a Leicester team hold onto possession so well and be confident and patient on the ball. I am praying Puel gets some time this season.

Fingers crossed for no silly shooting ourselves in the foot and giving away stupid penos like last weekend for the Wolves game - should be a cracker!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

5-0 Wolves then lol 

We know how well Albrighton can defend, Gray put in the work against Man Utd, needs to do the same against Wolves or they'll pummel our left-side with constant diagonal balls.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, kingfox said:

5-0 Wolves then lol 

We know how well Albrighton can defend, Gray put in the work against Man Utd, needs to do the same against Wolves or they'll pummel our left-side with constant diagonal balls.

So Chilwell's defending will make or break the match, you're saying? Hmmmmmmmm.

Will be a close game this.

I hope we don't try and force square pegs in to round holes. Ricardo in at RB, Evans in for Wes and either Ghezzal or Albrighton on the flank. No messing about, if Wolves are as tentative as they were on Saturday, they'll lose. If they're smart enough to realise we're average at the back and have a go, they'll get something.

I always feel Silva, Ndidi and Iborra all in midfield leads to us being more creative going forward, more comfortable on the ball and more solid defensively.

It forms a nice natural arrow shape on paper too - which will make absolutely no difference on the pitch but looks more menacing :)               

Schmeichel
Ricardo-Morgan-Maguire-Chilwell
         Silva-Ndidi-Iborra-Gray
                   Maddison
                     Vardy

2 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

As much of a critic as I am of Amartey, i'd go with the same starting lineup as we did at Old Trafford.

This is an interesting point and I wouldn't be too against that at all because it was a strong performance.

We looked threatening and bar that one error* would have been right in the game.

What's your reasoning Realist Guy In The Room?

Why is it always that right back position where we give away stupid thoughless penos?
 - Albrighton against Athletico
 - Simpson last season
 - Amartey this

1 hour ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

As much of a critic as I am of Amartey, i'd go with the same starting lineup as we did at Old Trafford.

We could play Ricardo where Amartey was with Albrighton in front of him maybe or Ghezzal

I wouldn't mind if we went with the same team at all though but I feel we should try and get Vardy, Ineacho and Maddision as the front three might be to early though but those 3 players would guarantee goals

Concerned as to how many goals we are going to score in the Premier League this season ...Silva,Ndidi,Gray and Albrighton  wont get more than 10 goals between them,judged on past performance...Maguire and Iborra hopefully 6 or 7 from set pieces.... Maddison first season at this level,we need him to find his feet fast . Nacho depends on how much game time he gets.Once again we might be heavily reliant on Vardy's 20 goals plus...but with no Mahrez to provide for him and fingers crossed he does'nt get injured.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, drofmor55 said:

Concerned as to how many goals we are going to score in the Premier League this season ...Silva,Ndidi,Gray and Albrighton  wont get more than 10 goals between them,judged on past performance...Maguire and Iborra hopefully 6 or 7 from set pieces.... Maddison first season at this level,we need him to find his feet fast . Nacho depends on how much game time he gets.Once again we might be heavily reliant on Vardy's 20 goals plus...but with no Mahrez to provide for him and fingers crossed he does'nt get injured.

Best hope defensively we're shit hot then....

35 minutes ago, drofmor55 said:

Different brand of football though. All of the aforementioned will get more opportunities. The days of two banks of four and kick &run are hopefully behind us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zealot said:

This is an interesting point and I wouldn't be too against that at all because it was a strong performance.

We looked threatening and bar that one error* would have been right in the game.

What's your reasoning Realist Guy In The Room?

Why is it always that right back position where we give away stupid thoughless penos?
 - Albrighton against Athletico
 - Simpson last season
 - Amartey this

Well what we need is for Puel to be absolute in his thoughts on the strongest line up.  Now away at Old Trafford doesnt come much tougher so he obviously believes in the line up and formation.  With that in mind, he needs to give it every chance to succeed and not chop and change after 1 game.

The Amartey penalty was stupid and i’ve no idea why he did it.  Having said that, Puel obviously sees something in Amartey but whatever that is will never get a chance to show itself if he only plays one game and is then dumped.

I’ve no doubt when the Turk’s work permit comes through and he’s up to speed, he’ll replace Morgan but that aside, the performance was very good at Utd so we should be looking to persist with it.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2018 at 22:50, Gerard said:

Vardy

Gray Iheanacho Maddison

Ndidi Silva

Chilwell Maguire Evans Pereira

Schmeichel

Vardy in goal, 3 at the back and Schmeichel up front? Radical.